Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Brennan Menell for a cond. 7th rd pick in 2022 [Upd 8/1: signed 1 yr/2 way contract]

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
ok who wants to have a friendly wager ? ... which team do you think picks up menell ?

montreal just saw him so they saw first hand what he can do ......... but i say SJ need some defensive depth

I doubt he gets past the bottom 5 teams

He looked like he could play do if I was one of the bad teams I'm claiming him and getting a good look at him

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Holl's numbers are certainly down when not playing with Muzzin but I'd be very skeptical about breaking up one of the best shutdown pairings in the league.

Since start of 2019 season (when they were made a regular pairing):

Muzzin/Holl:
QoC: Top end shutdown
Ozone Faceoff %: 45.28
CF%: 51.08 (+1.00 REL)
SF%: 55.53 (+4.04 REL)
SCF%: 55.26 (+1.55 REL)
HDCF%: 57.01 (+4.05 REL)
xGF%: 57.22 (+4.60 REL)
GF%: 56.74 (+3.08 REL)

We can look around but I'm confident in saying they are a top 5 shutdown pairing in the league the last 3 years and only cost 7.625 million combined.

Exactly.

I've been high on Mennel since he was a Wild prospect, but there's no chance they're moving out a guy with proven chemistry in the top 4 for a guy with five career NHL games. Or for another rookie skater.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There may be a decent chance he clears. Playing last season in the KHL he was probably out of sight out of mind for a lot of teams. And he still has a lot of question marks about his game.

Reactions: Ciao

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Has it actually been announced that Menell has been demoted? The GM acquired only months ago. How can we be sure that the GM would waive a player he could retain as an extra player without exposing another valued player to waivers?

edit: just saw that he are on waivers

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Holl was protected in the expansion draft in the early summer of 2021. The team lost a serviceable forward (and exposed another one) to protect Holl. Do you really think Holl has fallen out favour that quickly? Give your head a good shake.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
its good the placed him on waivers this early since most teams still have roster cuts to make etc, classic try and sneak him through move.

I heard Montreal is hurting on D and could be looking to add. What a Habby move that would be if they took Menell. Though he isn't quite their type.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
They need to sort out Lily and Dermott this year and Menell being around just complicates that. With Sandin that would leave 4 young guys looking for minutes and this club intends to contend so that can't happen. I think this is make or break time for Dermott, and Sandin they can mothball for a while. Lily isn't near the end of his best before but the AHL probably has nothing more to teach him so they really need a good reason not to give him 30+ games to show something.

I hope Menell stays with the organization because he might have another gear and there could be a need in a year or so if a couple of players relocate. I like him a lot more right now than a whole bunch of D prospects that have run through the Leaf's system in the last several years.

Reactions: LeafParade

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I heard Montreal is hurting on D and could be looking to add. What a Habby move that would be if they took Menell. Though he isn't quite their type.
ye they have a type for sure, they also brought in wideman who is the only dman to have more points in the khl last year. but they really do need somebody to quarterback that pp atm. we will see.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
They have no offensive Dmen they will pick him up even just for the PP

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't think the Leafs should lose any sleep over losing another smooth skating Smurf on defence. Twenty-four years old. 5'11" 177 lbs. Five games of lifetime NHL experience.

I'm sure he's been a fabulous junior, AHL'er and KHL player, and he might even have a future as a marginal NHL defenceman. However, I don't think much of anything is going to turn on whether he stays or goes.

I would be very surprised if Brennan Menell were to play those 30 NHL games this year for any team under any circumstances.

Nice depth. That's all.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I don't think the Leafs should lose any sleep over losing another smooth skating Smurf on defence. Twenty-four years old. 5'11" 177 lbs. Five games of lifetime NHL experience.

I'm sure he's been a fabulous junior, AHL'er and KHL player, and he might even have a future as a marginal NHL defenceman. However, I don't think much of anything is going to turn on whether he stays or goes.

I would be very surprised if Brennan Menell were to play those 30 NHL games this year for any team under any circumstances.

Nice depth. That's all.
sounds like you are describing holl, except menell would be 2 years younger than holl when holl made his debut. also, has been better than holl in every league hes played up to the NHL imo. i honestly think he hasnt gotten a shot due to guerin just not wanting to play him. all i can judge him on is what i see on the ice and hes been impressive to me.

Reactions: ACC1224

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Canucks also looking for RHD and C on the waiver wire.

They have Myers, Hamonic, and Poolman at RD. Plus Schenn and Bowey as insurance at RD. This is also a team that may try out Juolevi or Rathbone on their offside to get them more playing time. Even if Hamonic is MIA for an extended period of time, it seems they have plenty of better options than Menell.

Could also explain why they let Allard, Juulsen, and Fleury go unclaimed too. It's not like they (or any team for that matter) didn't have a chance to get a Menell-level RD if they wanted one.

Center is a better possibility for them, but maybe they have interest in trading for a guy like Engvall. ;)

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
sounds like you are describing holl, except menell would be 2 years younger than holl when holl made his debut. also, has been better than holl in every league hes played up to the NHL imo. i honestly think he hasnt gotten a shot due to guerin just not wanting to play him. all i can judge him on is what i see on the ice and hes been impressive to me.
Uh, my concern is that Menell is yet another undersized defenceman. He's 5'11" and 177 pounds. I think i mentioned that in my post.

I don't know what planet you're on confusing him with Holl, who is 6'4" and 210 pounds.

In whatever way these players might be similar, size is not one of them.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Really hoping Menell sneaks through.

Liked his game from what I saw and adding a RHD who can play is never a bad thing......

I see Dell is on waivers too. How ironic would it be.........? :)

Reactions: ACC1224

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
ye they have a type for sure, they also brought in wideman who is the only dman to have more points in the khl last year. but they really do need somebody to quarterback that pp atm. we will see.

Petry will QB their PP
Probably wishing they did not waive Mete last year thoug.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
So we had 4 guys people were concerned about losing to waivers, Engvall, Brooks, Anderson and Menell.

Anderson and Menell both cleared and one of Engvall/Brooks is likely going to be on the roster, so worst case we lose one. They won't but could/should waive Simmonds and not have to worry about losing anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad