Post-Game Talk: Leafs 4 Oilers 3 in OT

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Speaking on behalf of Leafs mods, trolling posters on other team PGTs are usually not Leafs board regulars. If you look at their post history they usually only post to troll on opposing team boards. That's it. That's their game plan.

For my part, I do what I can to discourage going to opposing team boards even to say "good game". No one wants to hear that after a loss.
Yeah, that's not accurate at all.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Bear was playing so good the previous 3 games before the break. Nothing wrong with having him sit for a few games to get Bouchard in.

Yeah, he was getting better but at this point it feels like he takes a while for the rust to wear off, would rather see Bouchard play instead of rotting on the taxi squad, Bear can bag skate himself until he learns how to shake the rust off faster.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Looked at the replay again, McDavid basically coasted back on that play in OT. If he had hustled, he could have defended that play. Gross.

It really is. Its not atypical. Even in the telecast they were saying how he wasn't in the passing lane, and could have been. With one stride he's in that passing lane. Covered. Drai is trying to cover the downlow option and can't take both. Nurse is where Nurse should be. The one player not involved in the play, again, is the team captain. Made worse because nobody can really say anything to him about it, and it seems like nobody does.

Its 3 on 3 play against a good line and you're not getting back? Why?

I'm sure McD will learn from this, again, but he seems to need a lot of these defensive learning moments.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
It really is. Its not atypical. Even in the telecast they were saying how he wasn't in the passing lane, and could have been. With one stride he's in that passing lane. Covered. Drai is trying to cover the downlow option and can't take both. Nurse is where Nurse should be. The one player not involved in the play, again, is the team captain. Made worse because nobody can really say anything to him about it, and it seems like nobody does.

Its 3 on 3 play against a good line and you're not getting back? Why?

I'm sure McD will learn from this, again, but he seems to need a lot of these defensive learning moments.
I feel like its a bit of - you have to give up a chance against to get a chance the other way in OT and maybe he was hoping for a quick turnover and a 2 on 1 back the other way, like so often happens. But obviously you can't depend on that.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
My bad, I added it up somehow to 58 for Kahun.

But you're missing my point. Sometimes adds work, often they don't. By now its absolutely clear Kahun has been a bust here. I'm a supporter all season, I was happy to get the player, it hasn't worked out in anyway.

Like I said Tippett was scratching Kahun multiple nights. This even at a time where Kassian, Neal, and Turris couldn't play.

I never once said obtain Gally in off season INSTEAD of Kahun. I said he was available a few weeks ago and the loaded leafs got him. the Oilers pound sand and Tippett gets to experiment trying to find gold here somewhere.

There isn't a fan on this board by now that even wants Kahun in the lineup. I'm probably the last one and I think after last night I'm done.
The 'loaded' Leafs gave up a recent high second rounder for him. If you were so inclined, you could've claimed him off of waivers from Carolina.

I'm not really biting on your 'loaded' Leafs argument. Their depth guys are scoring at a massively inflated rate. I wouldn't expect that to continue deep into May and June considering we're talking about a couple of vets in their late 30s/early 40s.

Much like our roster, there isn't much in terms of consistent scoring depth beyond their top two scoring lines. Hyman adds a bit of a roving depth guy for them, but for the most part they'll run into the same issues we do against stronger rosters when their guys run cold.

If you want to beat that roster, get a lead and make their scorers defend. Lesser rosters have no problems outworking their guys.

Reactions: McClelland and TB12

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Why trade Barrie for a forward and or goalie. The player we get back for Barrie would be worse and we don't have anyone close to Barrie right now to replace him. If Bear was playing great and was pushing for more minutes, I'm mean sure.
I'd be fine with the 3RD being Bear, Larsson and Bouchard if it meant we got a better LW or a G.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The 'loaded' Leafs gave up a recent high second rounder for him. If you were so inclined, you could've claimed him off of waivers from Carolina.

I'm not really biting on your 'loaded' Leafs argument. Their depth guys are scoring at a massively inflated rate. I wouldn't expect that to continue deep into May and June considering we're talking about a couple of vets in their late 30s/early 40s.

Much like our roster, there isn't much in terms of consistent scoring depth beyond their top two scoring lines. Hyman adds a bit of a roving depth guy for them, but for the most part they'll run into the same issues we do against stronger rosters when their guys run cold.

If you want to beat that roster, get a lead and make their scorers defend. Lesser rosters have no problems outworking their guys.

They are loaded in the sense that imagine Tavares and Nylander replaced RNH and Yamamoto ... their 3/4 options are way better and their GM has gotten better role players than Holland has. Hyman, Galchenyuk, Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds, Kerfoot are better than Kassian, Ennis, Kahun, Archibald, and Chiasson.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
EDM was def rolling before the week off. They seem a little off since coming back. Not nearly as hard on the forecheck these last few games and giving up the puck way too much. That said, Toronto just has more depth up and down their line up and their GM has done a great job in that regard. But as we all know, it's up to Holland to see what he can do this upcoming offseason when more money is available.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Leafs fans have this neat thing of not acknowledging any Oiler player except McD by name. Its really cute. The bald guy scored the OT winner and some grinder had the 2nd assist.

I mean its uniform there. You could type in a search of Draisaitl and Nurse and they don't get name dropped once. The arrogance of Leafs Nation acknowledging no other players.

ps Marner>Matthews.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Leafs fans have this neat thing of not acknowledging any Oiler player except McD by name. Its really cute. The bald guy scored the OT winner and some grinder had the 2nd assist.

I mean its uniform there. You could type in a search of Draisaitl and Nurse and they don't get name dropped once. The arrogance of Leafs Nation acknowledging no other players.

ps Marner>Matthews.
I'm pretty sure Hollywood North has been in tears all night and probably destroyed his mom's basement in the process.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Avs fan coming in peace. Was scary seeing that GIF of Barrie nearly taking a skate to the face. Glad he’s apparently fine and stoked to see him having a great year with you guys. We miss TBoobs in Denver. Love to see you guys beat the leafs and hope we can face off against you guys in the final 4.

Reactions: Zamknij kurwa ryj

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Goaltenders are always a bit of a black box but as of right now compare Markstrom-- who has been very ordinary-- and his gigantic contract versus Smith with his 1 year deal.

Sometimes the best signings are the ones that you don't make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad