Post-Game Talk: Leafs 4 Oilers 3 in OT

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What's ridiculous is you have an idiotic f*** like Hrudey going on about Ghostin Matthews after the game who got an assist and a goal off of two flukey plays while looking invisible all night and barely a word about McDavid and Drai running the Leafs shit and caving that line all night long.

I don't know what's worse, the game management directive that's destroying the quality of hockey in the NHL, the nepotism that runs rampant throughout the league or the media that isn't fit to cover a kindergarten gym class constantly asking inane questions and putting forth their idiotic narratives.

It was a Nostrils - Leafs Love In post game on HNIC. SN and HNIC should change the names of their broadcasts to Leafs Tonight as it is patently obvious who the network is cheering for - the f***ing team that they literally OWN.

Only the NHL - the bushiest of bush leagues - would allow 2 media empires to own a team that they give broadcast rights to.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yikes. Nuge doesn't deserve a raise, if anything he should be making less. Anything over 6, id probably walk away.

That seems to be the way its heading. I am not a huge RNH fan but I am not one of the anti-RNH fans here, he is what he is, a good complimentary forward who is very good on special teams. He has games like last night where he doesnt rise to the occasion and yet he has games where he looks like he is a 7-8 million dollar forward.

Not sure what that is worth in the post covid world on a team carried by 2 megastars. I think RNH agent wants to test the open waters thinking the Oilers will overpay if they need RNH more than RNH needs the Oilers. Holland won't cave to more than a short or mid term deal not more than 6. Not sure many other teams outside of Seattle or Columbus will pay what RNH agent wants however.

If RNH wants to be an Oiler he will be an Oiler though. Cant see him with another team struggling to make the playoffs when we are on the cusp of being a perennial playoff team.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
We can't try Bear-Bouchard because in the one game they played with each other, Koskinen let in a bad goal and Draisaitl knocked Bouchard's stick out of his hands.

So it was 100% their fault says Tippett.

I just feel like Tippett has better and more options to work with and try than what he's done.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I have been looking at this game pragmatically. Had we played the 3 game set vs Montreal, this would have been a near guaranteed schedule loss coming on the B2B w Montreal the night before and travelling to Toronto post game, surely getting 0 points.

Instead they had not 2 but 3 lucky goals (Nylander got the puck from a deflection off I believe Holl's skate) in a game where we showed plenty of rust outside of our top line, top pair and our goalie, getting 1 point.

Now we have a day of rest, practice, and a fair chance we will make some lineup adjustments (have a seat Kahun), and a good chance we bag 2 points tomorrow night.

Then from the sounds of it we walk into Montreal and play the B2B but instead of it being our 5th game in 8 nights, its only our 3rd so even on a B2B we should have enough juice left to make some hay vs Mtl who will be rusty as hell being off over a week with maybe 1 practice under their belt.

I believe Bear and Larsson will have better games, I think Russell and Lagesson are simply outmatched however. Move Kahun and Shore to the taxi squad and bring in Turris for that 4th line - his last game before his Covid absence was very good, and bring in Ennis who is more experienced and brings more pop to his game.

Or for this one game run 7D and 11F so McDavid and Draisaitl are getting some extra ice time.

Either way if we come out of this last series with Toronto with 3 points that is a huge win for us as I think we might have only gotten 1 or 2 before.
Are you hearing that the Oilers will play MTL on Tuesday night?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Leafs, already a better club, get a trade for Alex Galchenyuk, they're paying him 1M. He gets 2 beauty assists in breaking us and only plays 10mins.

He had 10X more impact in this game than anybody not on our top 5 player unit.

He might actually be a better player right now than RNH. Certainly better contract wise. Leafs get for the stiff price (sarcasm) of Egor Korshkov and David Warsofsky. Let me know the last time Nuge made a highlite reel pass like to Tavares on tying goal.

The leafs already own us in vet player that can contribute and they go out and get Alex for 1M in capcpace. Holland busy pulling his wire saying he can't do anything...capspace.

Galchenyuk would be instantly the 4th or 5th best forward on this club.

Of course we're seeing no help here. maybe Dead Neal and dead Turris could resurrect. Maybe Zombie Hopkins could be better than a simple pick up like Galchenyuk. A guy has to hope..

Reactions: DarksideGhost

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
According to Kurt Leavins article today RNH agent turned down 1C/2C money (probably in around $7M I would think) but he didn't say if that was pre-Covid or in their recent contract talks. He said RNH agent is seriously misreading the marketplace.

Bang. holy crap.

If Nuge is asking 7M the one positive aspect is I don't get to bitch about him anymore. Done with this guy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Leafs, already a better club, get a trade for Alex Galchenyuk, they're paying him 1M. He gets 2 beauty assists in breaking us and only plays 10mins.

He might actually be a better player right now than RNH. Certainly better contract wise. Leafs get for the stiff price (sarcasm) of Egor Korshkov and David Warsofsky.

The leafs already own us in vet player that can contribute and they go out and get Alex for 1M in capcpace. Holland busy pulling his wire saying he can't do anything...capspace.

Of course we're seeing no help here. maybe Dead Neal and dead Turris could resurrect. Maybe Zombie Hopkins could be better than a simple pick up like Galchenyuk. A guy has to hope..

I really don't understand why they didn't take a shot on Galchenyuk here.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Bang. holy crap.

If Nuge is asking 7M the one positive aspect is I don't get to bitch about him anymore. Done with this guy.

Again he didn't state if that was pre or post Covid. I do believe that was close to the offer his agent turned down prior to Covid hitting. If his agent thinks he is worth more than $7M yes, he is done here unless he tests the market and circles back, which is exactly where I think this is heading.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I really don't understand why they didn't take a shot on Galchenyuk here.

Holland asleep as usual. Funny that he was present at the game getting to see Galchenyuk be a big impact player in the game in all of 10mins..

gold jerry

But hey. Holland gave up two picks for AA, brought in Turris, Ennis, Kahun..

other teams getting better, nothing happening here folks. Habs even take a flyer on old Staal. Not saying I'd do that but I sure wouldn't be sitting on this sad sack depth.

Outside of 6 players Holland could deal anything. Nothing happening.

Heres a startling example of how bad bad bad our bottomsix. is Haas was the best player. I mean try to even fathom that.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Holland asleep as usual. Funny that he was present at the game getting to see Galchenyuk be a big impact player in the game in all of 10mins..

gold jerry

other teams getting better, nothing happening here folks. Habs even take a flyer on old Staal. Not saying I'd do that but I sure wouldn't be sitting on this sad sack depth.

Heres a startling example of how bad bad bad our bottomsix. is Haas was the best player. I mean try to even fathom that.
Oh come on now. I really respect you around these parts but let's not pretend Holland going after Alex f***in Galchenyuk last year wouldn't have been met with heavy ridicule. Guy has been trash on multiple teams. Everytime a player on his way out has a good game against the Oilers suddenly people blame the GM for not going out and getting said player even though you damn well know they'd have been trashing the move if we had gone after him.

People were begging for Kahun here. And people loved it when we signed him. Now all of a sudden folks are down on Kahun and it should have been Galchenyuk?

I don't accept that. That is heavy revisionist crap. Our depth has been pretty damn good this year. It's these games against the Leafs where the whole "this team is mostly garbage" stuff comes from.

Reactions: TB12

Adamantoise

Mar 15, 2021
I want them to go for Hall. Guy is creating a good volume of individual chances and was near the lead in high danger assists. I think hes way better than RNH

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

gold jerry

Holland is an upgrade on Chiarelli and the Barrie add has been huge, but yeah the honeymoon period is over and he needs to deliver better depth forwards than what he has brought to the table.

Galchenyuk is better than Turris or Kahun, they should have just signed him in the summer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oh come on now. I really respect you around these parts but let's not pretend Holland going after Alex f***in Galchenyuk last year wouldn't have been met with heavy ridicule. Guy has been trash on multiple teams. Everytime a player on his way out has a good game against the Oilers suddenly people blame the GM for not going out and getting said player.

He's 1M bucks and is presently a better playmaker than all but 3 players in our topsix. he would slide into our topsix at lowest contract price tomorrow. Tell me I'm wrong.

Filthy skill play. We have 3 forwards on this whole club that can make this play.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's 1M bucks and is presently a better playmaker than all but 3 players in our topsix. he would slide into our topsix at lowest contract price tomorrow. Tell me I'm wrong.

Filthy skill play. We have 3 forwards on this whole club that can make this play.

I mean I suggested Galchenyuk here a few weeks ago and in the off-season as well.

Our management group needs to do better especially on the forward front. "Better than Chiarelli" is something they can only hang their hat on for so long.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

He might actually be a better player right now than RNH. Certainly better contract wise. Leafs get for the stiff price (sarcasm) of Egor Korshkov and David Warsofsky. Let me know the last time Nuge made a highlite reel pass like to Tavares on tying goal.

There is probably going to be heavy pressure from the Leafs to make the North division permanent. They know they have the distinct advantage in drawing players in Canada by far, therefore they can stack their team against their division opponents. Hopefully we go back to the way it was.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Are we seriously rallying for Alex Galchenyuk right now?

4 points, -6 Alex Galchenyuk this year? Even if we doubled his GP we go 8 points -12 Galchenyuk?

Kahun is a sub million guy who has outproduced Galchenyuk the last two seasons. I don't recall anyone being upset that we signed Kahun over Galchenyuk. I remember a lot of pining over Kahun in the same way you're talking about Galchenyuk. Maybe I'm mistaken and if so I apologize but that seems weak as hell to suddenly try and knock the GM for making a bad move.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Are we seriously rallying for Alex Galchenyuk right now?

4 points, -6 Alex Galchenyuk this year? Even if we doubled his GP we go 8 points -12 Galchenyuk?

Kahun is a sub million guy who has outproduced Galchenyuk the last two seasons. I don't recall anyone being upset that we signed Kahun over Galchenyuk. I remember a lot of pining over Kahun in the same way you're talking about Galchenyuk. Maybe I'm mistaken and if so I apologize but that seems weak as hell to suddenly try and knock the GM for making a bad move.

Gally is a 56 pt player in this league that had 41 pts in 70 gp only 2 years ago playing in Arizona with little help.

Gally could play a quiet 2nd role on a line with a Stud like Drai. Unlike Kahun or Yama Gally can make some plays.

I like Kahun, or try to, but he's a 35pt guy in NHL at best.

There's no argument who the better NHL player is.

Gally also had 66pts the last two seasons, more than Kahun so you're wrong there as well.

In anycase it doesn't even matter. Gally was available, and could have been picked up, while it was obvious that Kahun wasn't working here. Kahun wasn't even dressing, in the lineup, when the Leafs picked up Gally. He was being healthy scratched games. For a guy as epic as Shore.

I mean the reality here is Kahun has been a bust here. It hasn't worked out at all.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Gally is a 56 pt player in this league that had 41 pts in 70 gp only 2 years ago playing in Arizona with little help.

Gally could play a quiet 2nd role on a line with a Stud like Drai. Unlike Kahun or Yama Gally can make some plays.

I like Kahun, or try to, but he's a 35pt guy in NHL at best.

There's no argument who the better NHL player is.

Gally also had 66pts the last two seasons, more than Kahun so you're wrong there as well.

In anycase it doesn't even matter. Gally was available, and could have been picked up, while it was obvious that Kahun wasn't working here. Kahun wasn't even dressing, in the lineup, when the Leafs picked up Gally. He was being healthy scratched games. For a guy as epic as Shore.
19/20 Galch had 24 points and was a -4 and Kahun had 31/ +8

18/19 Galch had 41/ -19 and Kahun went 37/ +10

65/ -23 Galch to 68/ +18 Kahun.

I'm using nhl.com and from a stats standpoint I just don't see how you can say one is a more obvious choice right now other than because of last night's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad