Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 3rd-round (#84) -- D Mikko Kokkonen -- Liiga Finland 5' 11" /200 lbs

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Don't quite understand how anyone can critique his upside when he put up historic numbers as a 17 year old dman in Liiga. If you're looking for higher upside in the third round, I'm not sure what to tell you

I'm actually cool with this pick now that it's been confirmed he can skate.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
The narrative's that he's close to his peak without much more room for improvement and that his skating isn't good. Of course, I'm not buying that lack of potential improvement considering how much he managed to improve in just the last year.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Jukurit is an awful, awful Liiga team, a perennial bottom feeder with a very tiny budget. He wasn't exactly in a position to succeed, yet still had a historical Liiga season.
Being in a shorty position would it be better to sign right away and get him playing over here, even in the ECHL?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's not just height, Kokkonen is a bulldozer. It's very odd if size's a concern with him. He's not one of those lanky dudes.

Reactions: Lauro

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That would be true if I was focused on this one pick. But thanks for coming out.

Oh you are whining about the 2nd round pick in the thread of the 3rd round pick. Sandin also 5’11 last year so your above post says you ok with that too. So SDA and Robertson is your issue?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Mikko Kokkonen isn't likely to grow, he's been the same size since he was like 14 years old.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
"moves effortlessly in all four directions, closes gaps quickly, rarely gets exposed"
"poised, mobile playmaker"

Skating is an issue? I think if he survived and thrived on a European rink, he'll be fine over here. Sounds like a good pick.

Reactions: Lauro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad