Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 3rd-round (#84) -- D Mikko Kokkonen -- Liiga Finland 5' 11" /200 lbs

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
The narrative's that he's close to his peak without much more room for improvement and that his skating isn't good. Of course, I'm not buying that lack of potential improvement considering how much he managed to improve in just the last year.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Jukurit is an awful, awful Liiga team, a perennial bottom feeder with a very tiny budget. He wasn't exactly in a position to succeed, yet still had a historical Liiga season.

Thanks for the insight. Idk how any 18yo can be close to their peak but what do I know. Our skating coaches have been able to help a lot of players get their feet to an NHL level so hopefully he can benefit from that.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marlies next year or foregone conclusion another year in Europe?

I'd imagine you'd want him with the best skating coach available, which would be Underhill so I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up on the Marlies

Especially since he was playing against men in Liiga last season

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'd imagine you'd want him with the best skating coach available, which would be Underhill so I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up on the Marlies

Especially since he was playing against men in Liiga last season

I don't think Barb works for the Leafs full-time. IIRC she is just around for the offseason camps and stuff.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Great short and can't skate great combo lol

He's listed at 5'11" and 198lbs...That's perfectly acceptable for an 18 year old. Puts 15-20 pounds on and grows an inch or two, this #10 ranked European skater becomes the mirror of a very solid Morgan Rielly.

Stirring the pot is funny when the circumstances seem plausible, when it's another fan base, and when it's not incessant.

This is a solid pick.

Reactions: Lauro and exporta

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mikko Kokkonen's Player Profile

Cam Robinson - Dobber ProspectsFeb. 6th: "Logs heavy minutes in all situations and produces a calm and measured approach ... He’s been superb in the Liiga early on this season. A deft two-way player who likely projects as a complementary offensive piece at the next level."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Dec. 20th: "Strong outlets, good compete level and defensive positioning. He’s adjusted well to the increased workload in the Liiga this season. A deft two-way player who likely projects as a defense-first player at the next level."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Nov. 6th: "Kokkonen moves effortlessly in all four directions, closes gaps quickly, rarely gets exposed and is sneaky-strong in puck battles. He looks exactly like what you’d want a modern NHL defenceman to look like."

Steve Kournianos (@TheDraftAnalyst) - Sporting News - June 29th: "One of the top junior-age defenders in Finland, Kokkonen is a poised, mobile playmaker with a high IQ who usually is summoned to take care of the tougher tasks. His skating ability allows him to carry the puck through or around traffic, but he'll only do it if the situation presents itself."

Reactions: Julio Jones

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Mikko Kokkonen's Player Profile

Cam Robinson - Dobber ProspectsFeb. 6th: "Logs heavy minutes in all situations and produces a calm and measured approach ... He’s been superb in the Liiga early on this season. A deft two-way player who likely projects as a complementary offensive piece at the next level."

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - Dec. 20th: "Strong outlets, good compete level and defensive positioning. He’s adjusted well to the increased workload in the Liiga this season. A deft two-way player who likely projects as a defense-first player at the next level."

Scott Wheeler - The Athletic - Nov. 6th: "Kokkonen moves effortlessly in all four directions, closes gaps quickly, rarely gets exposed and is sneaky-strong in puck battles. He looks exactly like what you’d want a modern NHL defenceman to look like."

Steve Kournianos (@TheDraftAnalyst) - Sporting News - June 29th: "One of the top junior-age defenders in Finland, Kokkonen is a poised, mobile playmaker with a high IQ who usually is summoned to take care of the tougher tasks. His skating ability allows him to carry the puck through or around traffic, but he'll only do it if the situation presents itself."

So he CAN skate. I change my stance on this pick. :thumbu:

Reactions: ITM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad