Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 3rd-round (#84) -- D Mikko Kokkonen -- Liiga Finland 5' 11" /200 lbs

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Reminds me of the Liljegren pick in that he was highly regarded the last couple years but seemed to really fall during the draft season.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Can you link or show some stats please that’s amazing

upload_2019-6-22_22-52-50.png

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
What I like about what he said is that he thinks he only needs one year in the Liiga before coming over.

It could be tight fitting in everyone on the Marlies again. Liljegren will be in the NHL but Lindgren, Hollowell and Duszak could all be there next year. Rasanen and Kokkonen then joining them. Wow that's some depth on the right side.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
17 years old as a full time player in the Liiga. Tied for most points by a defenseman for his team. I'm saying it in full homer glory: how was this guy still available in the 3rd round?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I didn't know. Even better.

TBH, we have a lot of RD prospects right now. I don't know why people were so concerned about adding more over LD. Our RD is probably better than our LD in our pool right now.

LD: Sandin, Greenway, Kral, O'Connell, Kivihalme, Rosen, Borgman, Koster
RD: Liljegren, Duszak, Hollowell, Lindgren, Rasanen, Kokkonen, Loponen

GermanLeaf

Jun 9, 2011
Not sure why it keeps listing Kokkonen as having the most U18 points by a Dman in Liiga history when that graphic clearly shows otherwise.
Because it wasn't 'Liiga' back then probably. The league used to be named FEL.

Even though, these are still really impressive numbers; better PPG than Heiskanen. Playing in the Liiga at his age is an achievement in and of itself. The reports, numbers and especially the linked video material make the pick seem pretty promising to me. There is definite NHL potential here

Reactions: Lauro

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
The narrative's that he's close to his peak without much more room for improvement and that his skating isn't good. Of course, I'm not buying that lack of potential improvement considering how much he managed to improve in just the last year.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Jukurit is an awful, awful Liiga team, a perennial bottom feeder with a very tiny budget. He wasn't exactly in a position to succeed, yet still had a historical Liiga season.
It’s possible he fell because most NHL teams don’t scout bad teams, especially senior teams where there are not many draft-eligible players.

The kid looks good.

Reactions: taurine330

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I like what I'm reading about this pick. 200 lbs @ 5'11 would indicate to me that he has a solid frame that he can add some strength too (like Sandin).

Like me some high IQ defenders that have some mobility.

Reactions: hockeynorth

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
A 5'11, 200lb 18 year old, who if he makes it, will probably play at around 6'1 and 215+lbs, represents "A new era of smurf hockey"?

Not disagreeing that this is no Smurf but it may be a mistake to assume he will grow much more. One of the caveats in the Black Book is that Kokkonen was essentially the same height a couple of years ago and has already filled out to a considerable degree. They think that because of this early physical maturity he could dominate over less physically mature prospects previously, but that the latter may overtake him as they fill out.

Not necessarily my opinion. I don’t kniw enough about the prospect to have an opinion. But I thought it was worth mentioning

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Not disagreeing that this is no Smurf but it may be a mistake to assume he will grow much more. One of the caveats in the Black Book is that Kokkonen was essentially the same height a couple of years ago and has already filled out to a considerable degree. They think that because of this early physical maturity he could dominate over less physically mature prospects previously, but that the latter may overtake him as they fill out.

Not necessarily my opinion. I don’t kniw enough about the prospect to have an opinion. But I thought it was worth mentioning
but he's playing against men?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad