Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We need some high level compete guys. I hope he works out and can help replace some guys that need more money money in a few years.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Seems a solid pick at this slot

one of these times we're going to strike gold with a non-1st, maybe this is it who knows

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
U.S. Thanksgiving extra special for family of Peterborough Petes rookie Nick Robertson

Sept. 11, 2001 and U.S. Thanksgiving have special meaning to the Robertson family that goes beyond what they mean to most Americans.

Hugh Robertson makes sure he spends every Thanksgiving with his son Nick, the Peterborough Petes' first-round draft pick, to give thanks for his son's life and health.

Thanksgiving was the day Nick came home from the hospital 2 1/2 months after he was born eight weeks premature.

Full story: U.S. Thanksgiving extra special for family of Peterborough Petes rookie Nick Robertson

Reactions: JustAShadow

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Hockey writers:

“Robertson is an extremely hard worker who plays with a ‘do anything to win’ mentality…Robertson is a very good skater with very good speed. He has excellent edgework and despite the size disadvantage is very strong on his skates. He has the ability to slow the game down or pick up the pace quickly because of a very quick first step. He’s able to slip into seams almost unnoticed. He skates with a wide stance which makes him stronger on his feet.” – Dominic Tiano/OHL Writers

“Smallish, quick, nifty puck handler and a wicked shot have the younger brother of Dallas prospect Jason beginning to make noise with solid showings at both the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup and the All-American Prospects game.” – Sam Cosentino/Sportsnet

“Robbie has got so much offensive ability. He does such a good job. He can shoot the puck really well. he can make plays. There are a lot of things that Robbie does well.” – Rob Wilson/Peterborough Petes’ coach
Strengths

• Skating
  • Offensive ability
  • Strength
Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Size
  • Consistency
  • Defensive coverage

Unless he injects himself with some human growth hormones, don't think he could improve his size...:laugh:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Could have done worse, not my first choice considering the make up of our team but I’ll never actively root against a pick of ours. Hopefully he goes Debrincat for us lol

I don't mind this one

The kids productive and he's willing to get his nose dirty, it's a good mentality to have

I'm thinking a more skilled Trevor Moore

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't mind this one

The kids productive and he's willing to get his nose dirty, it's a good mentality to have

I'm thinking a more skilled Trevor Moore

If his skating improves to the same level that would help for sure.

Believe Moore has a thicker frame though

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I woulda selected Brett Leason...if he ends up like a Marchand I cant complain though

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If his skating improves to the same level that would help for sure.

Believe Moore has a thicker frame though

The frame comes with age and his skating looks fundamentally sound so that could come with some muscle development as well

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not sure if it's been posted, but this is Brock Oden's scouting report:

7. Nick Robertson - Forward - Peterborough Petes
After a very strong showing at the summer Hlinka/Gretzky tournament for the United States (he led the team in goals), Robertson's OHL season got off to a bit of a rocky start thanks to a wrist injury. The injury took some time to heal fully and Robertson got off to a slow start from a production stand point. If you remove his first 10 games from his stat line, his production looks a lot more impressive (25 goals, 26 assists, in 44 games, or a near 80 point projection over a full season). Robertson is an absolutely dynamic play maker and creator. His puck skill and creativity are among the best in this OHL draft class. His edge work and agility are also excellent, keeping a wide base as he eludes defenders. Even though he's undersized at 5'9, Robertson is tough to separate from the puck because of how quick his hands are and because of how he always keeps his feet moving. This makes him a very dangerous player on the powerplay, as he often draws multiple defenders to try to take the puck off of him. Robertson also has a fantastic shot; a wrist shot which he can get off very quickly and without hesitation. I also really like Robertson's competitiveness without the puck in the offensive zone. If he does happen to turn it over, he's aggressive in pursuit to get it back. In the defensive end, his awareness and energy level is not quite as consistent and his lack of strength limits his effectiveness here. I also think Robertson could stand to improve his first step explosiveness and his top speed, considering his lack of elite size. It's not at the same level as his brother Jason's at the same age (in a negative way), but Jason was also considerably bigger. That said, Nick is one of the youngest players eligible for the draft this year (September 11th birth date). There is likely still a lot of physical maturation in store for him, especially when you consider that his brother is 6'2, 200lbs. If you're looking for a high upside winger, Robertson is your man.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
can't have enough smurfs , eventually one them will make it

and the team saves cash since they don't cost as much to feed , lol

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If these are his qualities with skill:
Robertson’s work ethic makes him stand out from both his peers and opponents on the ice. He forechecks hard, backchecks hard, supports low in the zone and strides as fast as he can to get on offence — where he shines the most.

More please.
Everyone we draft should possess these qualities to a degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad