Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 2nd Rd Draft Pick - Sean Durzi (6'0 196lbs, RD , Owen Sound Attack)

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
he sort of reminds me of Carrick in how composed and intelligent he comes across in interviews. hopefully he's a better player, but he definitely seems like a good kid

I like his mentality and dedication to his craft. The words about last year's camp represents a strong mentality. And watching his draft post interview, he seems to pay attention a lot to the details of the game. I can see him working extremely hard to get faster and round out his game.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I didn't like the pick but hope he can stay healthy this year and take another step forward in his development.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
From the reports I’ve read (and some limited footage), he had a solid development camp. Looks about AHL ready to me.

Any hints being thrown about as to where he plays this upcoming season?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
From the reports I’ve read (and some limited footage), he had a solid development camp. Looks about AHL ready to me.

Considering his age and stats last year, hes going to play pro somewhere...hopefully on the Marlies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I think his AHL eligibility and readiness was a big part of his appeal. Getting him in our system playing our way as soon as possible instead of having to wait 2+ years to do that is huge when you've invested so much into building an elite developmental program.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

I would imagine that his performance in training camp/pre-season will be how management determines where he should play this year.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
49P in 40GP = 1.225 ppg, plus a dominant playoffs (16P in 11GP = 1.46 ppg).

It's a better pick than I would have thought. 1.1 - 1.3 ppg 19yo D-men in the OHL since 2001:
  • Bobby Sanguinetti
  • Alex Pietrangelo
  • Chris Bigras
  • T.J. Brodie
  • Nick Crawford
  • Dougie Hamilton
  • Peter Aston
  • Jonathan Zion
  • Danny Syvret
He's also the youngest guy on the list. Pietrangelo, for instance, was almost a full year older when he did the same.

It's definitely swinging for the fences a little bit, but there are some great D-men in there.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada

It's a better pick than I would have thought. 1.1 - 1.3 ppg 19yo D-men in the OHL since 2001:
  • Bobby Sanguinetti
  • Alex Pietrangelo
  • Chris Bigras
  • T.J. Brodie
  • Nick Crawford
  • Dougie Hamilton
  • Peter Aston
  • Jonathan Zion
  • Danny Syvret
He's also the youngest guy on the list. Pietrangelo, for instance, was almost a full year older when he did the same.

It's definitely swinging for the fences a little bit, but there are some great D-men in there.

Swinging for the fences is never a bad idea IMO.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

• Bobby Sanguinetti
  • Alex Pietrangelo
  • Chris Bigras
  • T.J. Brodie
  • Nick Crawford
  • Dougie Hamilton
  • Peter Aston
  • Jonathan Zion
  • Danny Syvret

The main thing I'd point out though is that Pietrangelo and Hamilton also passed the eye-test for NHL scouts as high-end picks. The only D who is really promising who was overlooked was Brodie. It remains to be seen what Bigras is, but the Avs basically just gave up on him.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Swinging for the fences is never a bad idea IMO.

I get drafting safe-ish in the 2nd round and later if you have to build a prospect pool from scratch, you still need guys who are likely to be at least decent AHLers if they don't hit their ceilings.

Thing is, swinging for the fences usually IS the safest pick oddly enough.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The main thing I'd point out though is that Pietrangelo and Hamilton also passed the eye-test for NHL scouts as high-end picks. The only D who is really promising who was overlooked was Brodie. It remains to be seen what Bigras is, but the Avs basically just gave up on him.

Although eyeball scouting certainly has it’s limits when it comes to projecting defenceman especially in their draft year. Ie so many good dmeb seem to come from the late first, second round and beyond. They’re hard to predict in terms of de elopement path

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Although eyeball scouting certainly has it’s limits when it comes to projecting defenceman especially in their draft year. Ie so many good dmeb seem to come from the late first, second round and beyond. They’re hard to predict in terms of de elopement path
They are, but I think its fair to combine any eye-test analysis with analytics. Most people in statistics would agree that combining the rankings would be beneficial. I just wanted to point out, that it is worth noting that the two elite guys on that list passed the eye-ball test too, and weren't analytical gems found later on. For example, it'd be like grouping the players since 2000 in the OHL who put up over 1.8 ppg in the OHL in their 18 year old season or younger. You get a list like this (I'm only counting people who played over 30 games).

McDavid (2.55 ppg at 17)
Kane (2.5 at 18)
Locke (2.29 at 18)
Sam Gagner (2.23 at 17)
Spezza (2.07 at 17, 1.98 at 18)
Marner (2.04 at 18, 2.0 at 17)
Tavares (2.0 at 16 and 17, 1.86 at 18)
Dylan Strome (1.98 at 18, 1.90 at 17)
M. Tkachuk (1.88 at 18)
T. Raddysh (1.88 at 18)
T. Hall (1.85 at 18)
Galchenyuk (1.85 at 18)
Vilardi (1.81 at 18)

Okay, so that's a basic list, someone like Corey Locke looks like they are in elite company but he failed the eye test to scouts early on, going undrafted his first time around, and only going in the 4th round after his 2.29 ppg season. Now, if you start putting qualifiers on where guys were drafted the list starts looking dramatically different. You removed top 5 picks, you are Locke, Gagner, Tkachuk, Raddysh, and Vilardi. Gagner is a soft middle six scorer who is easily replaceable, Tkachuk looks like a great complimentary 1st line winger, Locke is a bust, Raddysh is interesting but probably not a franchise cornerstone and I really like Vilardi, but he's probably not a franchise player (although he could be). Now, its not like the guys who went top 5 are perfect, Dylan Strome may never reach his potential, and Galchenyuk is endlessly frustrating. The rest are elite players or appear to be on track (Marner) to be one. You remove guys taken in the 1st round, you are left with Raddysh and Locke. You look at guys who went completely undrafted their first go around, you are left with Locke.

While, I would love for Durzi to be an elite NHL defender, or even just a solid top 4 defender (which would be a win at that pick). Once you remove the 2 guys who were shown by analytics and scouts eyes to be potentially elite players in Pietrangelo and Hamilton, the only player who really leaves room for optimism is TJ Brodie. I would personally categorize who pass the eye-test as clear top 10 picks in a different bracket than guys with great numbers but aren't viewed as such. Now, when creating the odds of them hitting they are worth factoring in, but it is worth noting that Pietrangelo and Hamilton were viewed as completely different players, and he has significantly more in common with the rest.

Although, on further research, I think the OP meant to say Bryan Rodney, not Peter Aston. It also missed Andre Benoit.

Now, is a 53rd overall pick worth potentially a 1 in 6 shot T.J. Brodie if you believe the numbers reflect these odds. Absolutely, also keep in mind Subban just missed the cut-off (he had 1.36, but also just missed Ryan Sproul 1.32).

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
They are, but I think its fair to combine any eye-test analysis with analytics. Most people in statistics would agree that combining the rankings would be beneficial. I just wanted to point out, that it is worth noting that the two elite guys on that list passed the eye-ball test too, and weren't analytical gems found later on. For example, it'd be like grouping the players since 2000 in the OHL who put up over 1.8 ppg in the OHL in their 18 year old season or younger. You get a list like this (I'm only counting people who played over 30 games).

McDavid (2.55 ppg at 17)
Kane (2.5 at 18)
Locke (2.29 at 18)
Sam Gagner (2.23 at 17)
Spezza (2.07 at 17, 1.98 at 18)
Marner (2.04 at 18, 2.0 at 17)
Tavares (2.0 at 16 and 17, 1.86 at 18)
Dylan Strome (1.98 at 18, 1.90 at 17)
M. Tkachuk (1.88 at 18)
T. Raddysh (1.88 at 18)
T. Hall (1.85 at 18)
Galchenyuk (1.85 at 18)
Vilardi (1.81 at 18)

Okay, so that's a basic list, someone like Corey Locke looks like they are in elite company but he failed the eye test to scouts early on, going undrafted his first time around, and only going in the 4th round after his 2.29 ppg season. Now, if you start putting qualifiers on where guys were drafted the list starts looking dramatically different. You removed top 5 picks, you are Locke, Gagner, Tkachuk, Raddysh, and Vilardi. Gagner is a soft middle six scorer who is easily replaceable, Tkachuk looks like a great complimentary 1st line winger, Locke is a bust, Raddysh is interesting but probably not a franchise cornerstone and I really like Vilardi, but he's probably not a franchise player (although he could be). Now, its not like the guys who went top 5 are perfect, Dylan Strome may never reach his potential, and Galchenyuk is endlessly frustrating. The rest are elite players or appear to be on track (Marner) to be one. You remove guys taken in the 1st round, you are left with Raddysh and Locke. You look at guys who went completely undrafted their first go around, you are left with Locke.

While, I would love for Durzi to be an elite NHL defender, or even just a solid top 4 defender (which would be a win at that pick). Once you remove the 2 guys who were shown by analytics and scouts eyes to be potentially elite players in Pietrangelo and Hamilton, the only player who really leaves room for optimism is TJ Brodie. I would personally categorize who pass the eye-test as clear top 10 picks in a different bracket than guys with great numbers but aren't viewed as such. Now, when creating the odds of them hitting they are worth factoring in, but it is worth noting that Pietrangelo and Hamilton were viewed as completely different players, and he has significantly more in common with the rest.

Although, on further research, I think the OP meant to say Bryan Rodney, not Peter Aston. It also missed Andre Benoit.

Now, is a 53rd overall pick worth potentially a 1 in 6 shot T.J. Brodie if you believe the numbers reflect these odds. Absolutely, also keep in mind Subban just missed the cut-off (he had 1.36, but also just missed Ryan Sproul 1.32).

You must be fun at parties..........

Every drafted player is simply a projection at the time they're drafted. Players fall into one of four categories.

Safe picks with a high ceiling- Round 1
Safe picks who have a low ceiling - Round 2 or 3
Risky picks with a high ceiling - Round 2 or 3
Risky picks with a low ceiling - Round 4 and later

Safe picks are guys who generally have a >30% chance of playing in the NHL

Durzi's point production puts him in elite company amongst a cohort of players who have mostly gone on to NHL success and indicate he is actually a safe pick relative to other players taken in the second round.

His upside is debatable but the eye test shows a highly mobile player with enough creativity for serious PP time at the professional level. Most importantly he has a commitment to getting better.

Given that he's a right handed shot Durzi could have easily been a late first round pick. He's not that far from Liljegren and Sandin in terms of potential.

Of course no player is guaranteed to be successful in the NHL but in my opinion Durzi has a better chance than other players drafted around him...and that makes him a good pick.

Reactions: kb

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
This kid will be the steal of the draft

jty.gif

Reactions: Leafs87

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
the kid has 10pts in 8 games so far, all assists. Anyone out there watching him play?

I saw him the other day and he looked like someone that should be in the AHL. Looked very good as he should. Owen Sound doesn't have a very good team though after Suzuki, Durzi and Hancock.

Reactions: Ricky Bobby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad