Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 2nd Rd Draft Pick - Sean Durzi (6'0 196lbs, RD , Owen Sound Attack)

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I hate that we sent a 2nd round pick back for his overage year.

Probably wouldn't be if we had less depth on the Marlies. As it is we're trying to find time to get Sandin worked in there now with everyone else we already have.

I'd be more concerned if we had no AHL depth and sent him back.

This is a big season for him though as he'll be expected to earn that Marlie ice time next season.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Rules question here: can an overager be promoted from the CHL mid season? Or is he like other junior aged players, stuck there for the season once assigned to a major junior team?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rules question here: can an overager be promoted from the CHL mid season? Or is he like other junior aged players, stuck there for the season once assigned to a major junior team?

Nope. He has to play the season there until his team is eliminated as far as I know.

Owen Sound would have to release him pretty much.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Assuming he stays above Point per game..

Starting from the top, minimum ppg for overage defensemen in the O, post 04 lockout

D.Raddysh
Ryan Wilson
Centorame
Jake Muzzin
Collin Miller
Kwiet
Petrave

3x nobody, 1x Jury out/ good prospect, 1x 230gp nhl dman, 2 x top 4 dman. Pretty good hit rate. Favourable to that of a late 2nd.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He actually looked decent in camp too but fell victim to the logjam of young D destined for the Marlies, especially with Sandin status up in the air at the tine( he eventually joined the Marlies which is what the Leafs wanted)

Probably too good for junior at the moment but he hopefully learned some lessons to prepare him for the pro game that he can work on. I just hope he doesnt fall into bad junior habits.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think a 18 year old 12 goal OHL scorer is a threat to bolt to the KHL, do you really think that?

I think management likely thought there was a chance of that, especially if he went though a bo development.

They’ve already learned with Korshkov that once a guy starts to earn money in the KHL it can be difficult to get them to come over.

If you believe in the prospect it can be worth it to lock him into the Leafs development system than gamble they can maybe sign him later

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I think management likely thought there was a chance of that, especially if he went though a bo development.

They’ve already learned with Korshkov that once a guy starts to earn money in the KHL it can be difficult to get them to come over.

If you believe in the prospect it can be worth it to lock him into the Leafs development system than gamble they can maybe sign him later

That only holds true for 3rd/4th line players. If Korshkov showed top6 potential he would have come to NA by now

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That only holds true for 3rd/4th line players. If Korshkov showed top6 potential he would have come to NA by now

I think it has more to to do with being guaranteed an NHL roster spot or not.

Leafs clearly would want Korshkov to play in the AHL first, and I don’t think that has much interest to guys who’d rather play in 1) a better league for 2) more money than a minors salary.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

KHL Russians don't come over until they're guaranteed NHL players. See, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Panarin. SDA is already acclimated to North American culture. He's not a flight risk and the contract was a fiscal reward for a strong camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad