Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 1st Rd Pick (#29 OA via STL) - Rasmus Sandin (5'11 186lbs, D, Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
At 25 or 29 if we manage to get a legit long-term top 4 D we beat the odds by a decent margin (about 65% to 70% of players bust in this range). Having watched a few of his games since the draft to get more insight into him. I love the vision he possesses, and overall offensive awareness. I've seen somethings in the d-zone that need to be cleaned up, and it seems SSM coaches their D to heavily pinch. I like his compete level, and he's willing to take a hit to make a play, but I'd hope he can avoid that a bit more going forward. My hope is that this was primarily caused by shifting ice-surfaces mid-year, and that slightly messed with his timing. I like the willingness of being willing to take a hit to make a play, I would just hope the frequency of it lessens.

I hope he spends another year in the OHL, and with 2 full off-seasons of strength training and skating drills he is able to be an effective player for the Marlies in 2019/20, and be ready for a full-time Leafs role in 2021/2022. I think that should be a fair enough timeline for him if he's going to make it as a legit NHLer.

We got dermott later and he looks pretty good bet to be a long term top4. I have pretty high hopes for Sandin being top4 too. Great write up thanks for that

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think most do, NHL teams just inflate height.

Its seems IQ and overagers is what they identified. Hard to really narrow down one. Plus, it could be a one-off class, hopefully, Dubas let's the scouting staff do their job from now on and doesn't try to run the draft himself.

They really focused on even strength scoring when drafting defencemen. Sandin, Durzi, Hollowell and Kral are all near the top of the leaderboard when it comes to even strength scoring/60.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I'm going through SSM games right now, check him out in more detail. I'll report back later if it is consistent. One positive to this draft is Dubas has made it pretty damn easy to watch the guys we drafted.
Where are you watching these? Clips or full games?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This thread is huge, so I apologize if this has already pointed out, but I found this excerpt in the THN Draft Preview interesting.

"Sandin piled up points, and since he wasn't loaned from Rogle (he had an out in his contract), he can return next year"

If true, that means he wouldn't be AHL eligible until 2020/21. Now, this magazine was poorly edited, they made the opening of an article on Brady Tkachuk have the premise that he wouldn't slip to the Flames in the teens to play with his brother, ignoring that they traded the pick last year for Hamonic.

To the best of my knowledge, he was officially loaned (and had the same agent as Alex Nylander) and was returned to Rogle at the end of the year. It doesn't stop him from going back to SSM though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This thread is huge, so I apologize if this has already pointed out, but I found this excerpt in the THN Draft Preview interesting.

"Sandin piled up points, and since he wasn't loaned from Rogle (he had an out in his contract), he can return next year"

If true, that means he wouldn't be AHL eligible until 2020/21. Now, this magazine was poorly edited, they made the opening of an article on Brady Tkachuk have the premise that he wouldn't slip to the Flames in the teens to play with his brother, ignoring that they traded the pick last year for Hamonic.

To the best of my knowledge, he was officially loaned (and had the same agent as Alex Nylander) and was returned to Rogle at the end of the year. It doesn't stop him from going back to SSM though.

We'd be insane to put that kid in the AHL right now anyway
Back to the Soo (preferably) or the SHL

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We'd be insane to put that kid in the AHL right now anyway
Back to the Soo (preferably) or the SHL
I'm hoping the goal is to put him in the AHL for 2019/20, if he is in fact considered drafted from the OHL, he can't play there until 2020/21.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm hoping the goal is to put him in the AHL for 2019/20, if he is in fact considered drafted from the OHL, he can't play there until 2020/21.

That sucks but he's probably 3-4 years away anyway

I'd want him in the Soo this year and back in the SHL the year after if what they say is true (I've got some doubts about that)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That sucks but he's probably 3-4 years away anyway

I'd want him in the Soo this year and back in the SHL the year after if what they say is true (I've got some doubts about that)
I highly doubt THN as there editing and standards have slipped dramatically. The fact he is already back in Rogle on paper, makes it seem that it was a loan, and I would think an agent who did Alex Nylander's work, would be smart enough to exploit this loophole again.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I highly doubt THN as there editing and standards have slipped dramatically. The fact he is already back in Rogle on paper, makes it seem that it was a loan, and I would think an agent who did Alex Nylander's work, would be smart enough to exploit this loophole again.

Yeah I think having all three options open would suit us much better right now with the kid, especially next year

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yeah I think having all three options open would suit us much better right now with the kid, especially next year

Yeah, I think this year it's OHL or SHL anyway. But the option to put him in the AHL a year early would be nice.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Just when you think 34 is busy golfing off the grid in the desert, he swoops in to show that he knows everything that’s going on. Give him the c already, JT can settle with an A.....

Reactions: TimeZone and Once

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Sandin emerging as offensive defenseman for Maple Leafs
"I guess my offensive side has always been there and kind of led to me becoming a defenseman," Sandin, the No. 29 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft, said during the Maple Leafs development camp last week. "I turned to defense pretty early still, so I've been developing a lot defensively. I'm a creative player and use my instincts and try to do that in the defensive zone as well."
"I'm a smooth player with the puck, my skating is smooth and I read the game very well," Sandin said. "That's the best part of my game right now, how I read the game. My passing ability as well is a strength. I'm not the biggest guy (5-foot-11, 186 pounds), but I feel like I have the assets being a smaller guy to play in the best League in the world."
"Adding some strength, I think all the players who got drafted this year want to add a couple of pounds," Sandin said. "Also my speed, making sure I can get up to top speed a little quicker, that's something we've been working on at development camp. … If I can keep improving that and get my speed going, I think I'll be ready soon."

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I cannot find any source to corroborate that.

Not calling anyone a liar, but I would love a source.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad