Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 1st Rd Pick (#29 OA via STL) - Rasmus Sandin (5'11 186lbs, D, Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds)

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I believe his agent or someone from his agency tweeted out that the decision was Sandin's and he decided to rest because he's had a long season.

Don't understand the panic over this. No games were played since the draft, it was obviously not performance issue.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I believe his agent or someone from his agency tweeted out that the decision was Sandin's and he decided to rest because he's had a long season.

Don't understand the panic over this. No games were played since the draft, it was obviously not performance issue.

Even if he doesn’t make the Swedish wjhc team isn’t anything to panic over.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Just as a follow-up to a scouting report that I posted here, I put together a little video on Sandin breaking down his game a little bit (not a highlight video, there's probably a million of those)...for those that don't have a lot of exposure to his game outside of goals and assists, this may be of interest to you...(also, there's some Hollowell footage in here as well)

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
I think we made a mistake and will look back at this and draft and say why didn't we pick one of Wilde, Mcissaac, or Samuelsson. These guys do what Sandin does and then some. They play with physical edge to them not afraid to do the dirty work and it is a natural thing for them. Sandin started to do it near the end of the season but he won't do it consistently bc it's not part of his nature.

Last edited:

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Just as a follow-up to a scouting report that I posted here, I put together a little video on Sandin breaking down his game a little bit (not a highlight video, there's probably a million of those)...for those that don't have a lot of exposure to his game outside of goals and assists, this may be of interest to you...(also, there's some Hollowell footage in here as well)

This is excellent. Thank you.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

You did an excellent job, I'm definitely hoping for more videos in the future.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Really appreciate you putting this together man.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Much appreciated.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018

Great video

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Really reminds me of Kaberle the way he controls the game and puck

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
@Mike Farkas, thanks for the great work on this video. There was a mention at one point that you like Mac Hollowell. If you have a moment, could you expand on that a bit? Thanks for considering this.

And have Oiler fans reacted to your examination of Bouchard’s defensive play?

Reactions: Smif and crump

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Thanks for the kind words, guys and girls. Makes it worthwhile. Even (your boy?) Steve Dangle commented on my video...I guess that's "making it" in the world of YouTube, eh?

I did post a scouting report on Hollowell in the Hollowell thread I think...I'm hesitant to make a video on Hollowell because he's an offensive defenseman and I strongly do not want to make things that could be construed as a highlight video...but perhaps it's worth considering. Ya know, one nice thing about making videos on Toronto players is that there is no shortage of interest haha...with all the play this video has gotten, my phone just about burst into flames this morning with all the notifications I've gotten...so I will absolutely pander to the big time fanbases if it gets me clicks, I can be bought and sold just like that...:laugh:

That said, this was a rather friendly video as I really like Sandin...this is my kind of player. Now, the Evan Bouchard video has been very polarizing...I made it before he was drafted, so I couldn't be accused of bias (not that I have any bias for or against the Oilers...they're completely irrelevant to me as a Penguins fan)...it really was just me trying to disprove the notion that he's an intelligent player. Commercial scouting services have a tendency to parrot one another and strive for consensus...I dislike that strongly. When I look at players, I go in without rankings, without reading up about them, I don't want to know anything about them that will potentially bias my opinion...so I did my OHL d-men rankings and realized that two guys that were passed over last year were my top 2, and my highest ranked first-time eligible was Sandin. That's what I saw, I can't do anything about that and we'll just see what happens...maybe Keane, Hollowell and Sandin play zero NHL games and Bouchard wins 15 straight Norris Trophies...

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Thanks for the kind words, guys and girls. Makes it worthwhile. Even (your boy?) Steve Dangle commented on my video...I guess that's "making it" in the world of YouTube, eh?

I did post a scouting report on Hollowell in the Hollowell thread I think...I'm hesitant to make a video on Hollowell because he's an offensive defenseman and I strongly do not want to make things that could be construed as a highlight video...but perhaps it's worth considering. Ya know, one nice thing about making videos on Toronto players is that there is no shortage of interest haha...with all the play this video has gotten, my phone just about burst into flames this morning with all the notifications I've gotten...so I will absolutely pander to the big time fanbases if it gets me clicks, I can be bought and sold just like that...:laugh:

That said, this was a rather friendly video as I really like Sandin...this is my kind of player. Now, the Evan Bouchard video has been very polarizing...I made it before he was drafted, so I couldn't be accused of bias (not that I have any bias for or against the Oilers...they're completely irrelevant to me as a Penguins fan)...it really was just me trying to disprove the notion that he's an intelligent player. Commercial scouting services have a tendency to parrot one another and strive for consensus...I dislike that strongly. When I look at players, I go in without rankings, without reading up about them, I don't want to know anything about them that will potentially bias my opinion...so I did my OHL d-men rankings and realized that two guys that were passed over last year were my top 2, and my highest ranked first-time eligible was Sandin. That's what I saw, I can't do anything about that and we'll just see what happens...maybe Keane, Hollowell and Sandin play zero NHL games and Bouchard wins 15 straight Norris Trophies...
Personally I really appreciate the non highlight reel you've adopted. It's a way better way to evaluate a player imo

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The one thing I really like about Sandins game (based on extremely small sample, mostly youtube highlights) is his composure with the puck and passing ability.

Every time he touchs the puck he settles it nicely and makes smart efficient pass's. I would call him a excellent puck mover but more in the passing sense than using his feet to transition the puck.

These D might not get you out of your seat as much as someone like Bouchard but when the puck is on his stick 9 times out of 10 he makes excellent reads and hes extremely reliable.

Hard to say from a highlight reel but the skating doesn't look as bad as some have said.

I remember someone throwing out a Will Butcher comp awhile back and their skillsets look somewhat similar.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
All really good and agreeable points, weems. Skating is not "bad" lacks a little bit of oomph, doesn't really get up the ice all that quickly. But the edge work, the small area footwork, the balance, it's all there. He sets up in a little bit wider of a base...almost like fellow Swedish import Adam Thilander, but not to the "extreme" (those should be finger quotes) that Thilander does it...you'll see Sandin get beat wide with speed sometimes because it's difficult to get that push and churn to the outside from that position...he compensates with, well, a) good gaps but b) with a little longer stick...Pittsburgh's Olli Maatta same deal.

But he's efficient and his attention to detail the game is really high-end...

Reactions: weems

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The one thing I really like about Sandins game (based on extremely small sample, mostly youtube highlights) is his composure with the puck and passing ability.

Every time he touchs the puck he settles it nicely and makes smart efficient pass's. I would call him a excellent puck mover but more in the passing sense than using his feet to transition the puck.

These D might not get you out of your seat as much as someone like Bouchard but when the puck is on his stick 9 times out of 10 he makes excellent reads and hes extremely reliable.

Hard to say from a highlight reel but the skating doesn't look as bad as some have said.

I remember someone throwing out a Will Butcher comp awhile back and their skillsets look somewhat similar.

IMO it's just great poise which is an excellent tool for a young defender to have. Poise with the puck and a good IQ will go a long way, especially if he has the skill, size, and skating ability to play in the NHL.

Reactions: weems

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

You have good insight for sure. Personally I'd watch your videos on any player (that Bouchard one was quite interesting), but I'd definitely like to see more on the Leafs' prospects.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

weems

Jul 3, 2008
IMO it's just great poise which is an excellent tool for a young defender to have. Poise with the puck and a good IQ will go a long way, especially if he has the skill, size, and skating ability to play in the NHL.

I agree and its not as common of a thing as youd expect with talented D.
Sure some have it but others have different elements of their skillset carry them to elite status.
Take Rielly for example. Hes a phenominal athlete with amazing wheels, has offensive ability but hes not really someone I would say has elite poise with the puck.
That doesn't take away from how good he is and he can still pass and move the puck effectively but some guys just have insane poise, feel and finesse when the puck is on their stick (Salt brought up Kaberle earlier and that's a good example).

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad