Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 4th Rd (Via PIT) Vladislav Kara - 6'2" 187lbs LW\C - Irbis Kazan (MHL)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

the kid has good hands by the look of it, decent looking shot and his skating seems good. I hope he gets picked in the euro draft tomrrow, i dont know how structured the MHL is but the way some KHL teams it wouldnt surprise me if the MHL wasnt given the best funding and most strucuture, get picked in the import draft and play a season in the CHL see what hes got

weems

Jul 3, 2008
He can certainly finish.
Very intrigued by this pick after watching that vid.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Kara resembles the clips we have seen on Chebykin in style as well as in his draft situation, a Russian overager forward about whom little is known. It was speculated earlier that the reason Kara was taken in the late 4th rather than the 7th, like Chebykin, was that someone else was interested in him. Has anyone seen any info on which team that might be?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Kara resembles the clips we have seen on Chebykin in style as well as in his draft situation, a Russian overager forward about whom little is known. It was speculated earlier that the reason Kara was taken in the late 4th rather than the 7th, like Chebykin, was that someone else was interested in him. Has anyone seen any info on which team that might be?

Yeah, after seeing the highlight video above, I was thinking the same thing. Kara must have had interest from other teams for us to select him in the 5th round.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
hope he gets picked in the CHL draft today, hopefully a ohl team takes a shot. Then he also wants to come to the CHL too obviously

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Seems really raw... you see some skill but then awkwardness, not a lot of polish. I'm no scout, but he seems like a project.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
hope he gets picked in the CHL draft today, hopefully a ohl team takes a shot. Then he also wants to come to the CHL too obviously

Out of the teams I follow in the CHL:
Sherbrooke: Passing because they have two really good imports on their team already.
Prince Albert: Has the Stransky spot open on the top pairing. Lacks talent, so he will get a lot of opportunities, but he's not going to be on a good team for his likely sole CHL year.
Spokane: May take some higher risk-reward prospects than Kara, because they have a lot of good depth but just lack some high end talent. They'd have to move depth regardless, but adding another two Import picks will add to the jam.
SSM: They lost some good talent at forward. Kara could be a 2/3C or a 3rd line LW for them most likely. Not amazing, but not bad considering the quality of team.
London: Has a ton of LW's and C's, so I doubt he'd go to them.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Out of the teams I follow in the CHL:
Sherbrooke: Passing because they have two really good imports on their team already.
Prince Albert: Has the Stransky spot open on the top pairing. Lacks talent, so he will get a lot of opportunities, but he's not going to be on a good team for his likely sole CHL year.
Spokane: May take some higher risk-reward prospects than Kara, because they have a lot of good depth but just lack some high end talent. They'd have to move depth regardless, but adding another two Import picks will add to the jam.
SSM: They lost some good talent at forward. Kara could be a 2/3C or a 3rd line LW for them most likely. Not amazing, but not bad considering the quality of team.
London: Has a ton of LW's and C's, so I doubt he'd go to them.

well that leaves 55 more teams, but you are right he may not be worth selecting. Gilmour said Kingston have a full quota of imports too, when talking to overdrive about Rasanen, so count them out

edit: He is a long shot, why select a 3rd liner teams can swing for higher offensive players if they miss they don't have to keep them no?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I think the leafs overscouted the last few rounds and should've focused more on BPA and analytics instead of team need.

Kara was a reach who could've been taken in the 6th or 7th round.

Shvyrov (125 OA) , Elvenes (127 OA) and Steenbergen (128 OA) were better value picks taken right after him.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I think the leafs overscouted the last few rounds and should've focused more on BPA and analytics instead of team need.

Shvyrov (125 OA) , Elvenes (127 OA) and Steenbergen (128 OA) were better value picks taken right after him.

So much wrong with this post.

1) How do you "overscout"?
2) Whose to say we didn't select BPA?
3) How do you know he'd be available in the 6th or 7th round?
4) 30 teams also passed on Shvyrov, Elvenes and Steenbergen.
5) What makes you think you know more than scouts that are employed by NHL clubs?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
So much wrong with this post.

1) How do you "overscout"?
2) Whose to say we didn't select BPA?
3) How do you know he'd be available in the 6th or 7th round?
4) 30 teams also passed on Shvyrov, Elvenes and Steenbergen.
5) What makes you think you know more than scouts that are employed by NHL clubs?

Overscout as in scouting some very marginal players completely on the fringe. In Kara's case he wasn't even ranked by NHL central scouting and was considered "off the board" as a pick. That's also why he would've been available later on simply because he just wasn't on the radar.

As 5th round picks go Shvyrov, Elvenes and Steenbergen were steals as they all put up excellent numbers with vastly improved play from the previous year with positive scouting reports. They may not have fit team NEED but they were the BPA's at their draft positions.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He's still out there.

EDIT: Was not taken. Unfortunate, but hopefully he gets a good VHL/KHL role instead.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

lol...

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Goal highlights aren't always the best way to read a player but based on that I agree he seems a little unpolished. There may be elements to his game that the highlights haven't captured.

He hails from a place that isn't exactly a hockey hotbed (Salekhard). The Leafs may be thinking that this could make him a late bloomer who hasn't had high quality development to date. There was supposed to be a railway completed from it to another far north city (Igarka) by prison labour (link) but that project was never completed. Salekhard is near where Soviet gulags for former party members/religious peoples/wealthy farmers/etc. were located during the Stalin regime. It's also home of an indigeneous people with a similar culture to the Sami people. There's some interesting stuff on the internet about it. I first heard about it on an episode of the PBS show Globe Trekker called "Russia's Ice Trains".

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Alexander Volkov, 2nd round choice (48th overall) by Tampa, has signed an ELC and will go to Syracuse next year. There may be more to this, but I mention this because of his stats. He's a 97' born in August (one day after Chebykin), ranked 29th out of Euro skaters this year (and someone I did not have worthy of a Leafs pick, but that's besides the point right now).

Volkov is 6'1", 192 lbs and a RW. 3 goals/0 assists in 15 VHL games last year and 1+2 in 8 in the VHL playoffs. 11 points in 16 games in the MHL plus 4 points in 4 MHL playoff games.

Kara is 6'1", 187 lbs and is a C/LW. 8 points in 34 VHL games, no playoffs. 20 points in 31 MHL games, including 11 goals, plus 5 points in 7 MHL games. He's a 98' born in April, so almost a year younger than Volkov. His season was much better than Volkov's D+1 season.

Chebykin is 6'3", 209 lbs and plays both wings. He is one day older than Volkov, but was taken in the 7th round last year. 8 points in 24 VHL games, and 9 points in 15 VHL playoff games. 27 points in 17 MHL games, plus played 8 KHL games (+1 KHL playoff game) with one point.

It's still way too early, but our guys have better statistical seasons than Volkov, and he was just signed to an ELC and was picked with a 2nd rounder... I do not know if there is more involved, but Kara and Chebykin may be real sleepers for the Leafs.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Alexander Volkov, 2nd round choice (48th overall) by Tampa, has signed an ELC and will go to Syracuse next year. There may be more to this, but I mention this because of his stats. He's a 97' born in August (one day after Chebykin), ranked 29th out of Euro skaters this year (and someone I did not have worthy of a Leafs pick, but that's besides the point right now).

Volkov is 6'1", 192 lbs and a RW. 3 goals/0 assists in 15 VHL games last year and 1+2 in 8 in the VHL playoffs. 11 points in 16 games in the MHL plus 4 points in 4 MHL playoff games.

Kara is 6'1", 187 lbs and is a C/LW. 8 points in 34 VHL games, no playoffs. 20 points in 31 MHL games, including 11 goals, plus 5 points in 7 MHL games. He's a 98' born in April, so almost a year younger than Volkov. His season was much better than Volkov's D+1 season.

Chebykin is 6'3", 209 lbs and plays both wings. He is one day older than Volkov, but was taken in the 7th round last year. 8 points in 24 VHL games, and 9 points in 15 VHL playoff games. 27 points in 17 MHL games, plus played 8 KHL games (+1 KHL playoff game) with one point.

It's still way too early, but our guys have better statistical seasons than Volkov, and he was just signed to an ELC and was picked with a 2nd rounder... I do not know if there is more involved, but Kara and Chebykin may be real sleepers for the Leafs.

I think this Chebykin was a steal for us, I have followed him. :nod:

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

Its probably a situation where the Leafs really liked him, and didnt want to risk losing him to another team. At the end of the day you take the players who you think have the best chance to make the NHL. Its a crap shoot 4th round and on.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

wow Volkov and Kara are nearly identical statistically right down to height and weight its a good sign. Obviously Volkov must be a better skater or something to create that much separation. But I have liked Bobylev since the draft he has done very well he is an exciting pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad