Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 4th Rd (Via PIT) Vladislav Kara - 6'2" 187lbs LW\C - Irbis Kazan (MHL)

weems

Jul 3, 2008
While he may have the size and puck handling scouts say his skating is terrible.

His skating looks far from "terrible" in that video.

Even just go to 0:29 and he grabs the puck and blows by a defender and scores.

Maybe he isnt a great skater but it doesnt look like an issue whatsoever.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
While he may have the size and puck handling scouts say his skating is terrible.

Link? I haven't seen any actual "scouts" say a thing about him. Maybe that's worrying in itself but it isn't exactly proof that his skating is "terrible."

Why don't we just say we don't know anything about him and leave it at that for now

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Link? I haven't seen any actual "scouts" say a thing about him. Maybe that's worrying in itself but it isn't exactly proof that his skating is "terrible."

Why don't we just say we don't know anything about him and leave it at that for now

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2017-nhl-draft/2017-nhl-draft-report-cards/

"I guess there’s a good news/bad news scenario with their second 4th round pick – overage winger Vladislav Kara, a kid whose only mention in my notes were “hits but can’t skateâ€Â. The good news is he’s the only overager the Leafs took after going bonkers for them a year ago. The bad news? Well, he can’t skate. It’s odd that Leafs scouts were all over Russia for the second straight year yet decided to take a winger with next to no chance of playing at Mike Babcock’s pace."

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
His skating looks far from "terrible" in that video.

Even just go to 0:29 and he grabs the puck and blows by a defender and scores.

Maybe he isnt a great skater but it doesnt look like an issue whatsoever.

Nobody is doing anything at 0:29 in the Kara highlight pack. Are you sure you weren't watching the Chebykin video? Chebykin has some decent wheels.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2017-nhl-draft/2017-nhl-draft-report-cards/

"I guess there’s a good news/bad news scenario with their second 4th round pick – overage winger Vladislav Kara, a kid whose only mention in my notes were “hits but can’t skateâ€Â. The good news is he’s the only overager the Leafs took after going bonkers for them a year ago. The bad news? Well, he can’t skate. It’s odd that Leafs scouts were all over Russia for the second straight year yet decided to take a winger with next to no chance of playing at Mike Babcock’s pace."

I had read that already. Is Steve Kournaios a scout? Or a website guy? How many games did he see Kara play in Russia. It isn't a very detailed report even by website standards. I stand by my opinion that we should confine ourselves to saying we don't know anything about Kara

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Nobody is doing anything at 0:29 in the Kara highlight pack. Are you sure you weren't watching the Chebykin video? Chebykin has some decent wheels.

I clearly posted a reply to the Chebykin video.
You must have been confused from the start.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I had read that already. Is Steve Kournaios a scout? Or a website guy? How many games did he see Kara play in Russia. It isn't a very detailed report even by website standards. I stand by my opinion that we should confine ourselves to saying we don't know anything about Kara

Exactly how qualified are any of these internet blogger website "scout" guys?

Kind of hard to take someone serious who says "my only notes of the guy is he hits cant skate".

Like you said, not the most detailed scouting report but thats too be expected by someone not working directly with an NHL team.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

To be frank Kara was so far down the draft boards that most scouts probably didn't even bother to take notes.

Kourianos does in person scouting for his online draft ranking service. Something like hockeyprospects.com. How often he consults with NHL teams I wouldn't know but you don't have to be a scout with 30 years experience in an NHL organization to see if a guy is having trouble keeping up with the play.

At first I thought the leafs made an error and read off the wrong Russian name.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This is a Kara thread not a Chebykin thread so.......not sure why you're conflating the two players.

Chebykin>Kara if that helps.

Someone posted a Chebykin video so I watched and responded. Who cares if this is a Kara thread? Hundreds of threads get sidetracked into other topics daily. If you actually took a minute to see I was talking about Chebykin from the start none of this confusion would have happened.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
This is a Kara thread not a Chebykin thread so.......not sure why you're conflating the two players.

Chebykin>Kara if that helps.

Chebykin is a year older... they're probably on similar development paths...

To be frank Kara was so far down the draft boards that most scouts probably didn't even bother to take notes.

Kourianos does in person scouting for his online draft ranking service. Something like hockeyprospects.com. How often he consults with NHL teams I wouldn't know but you don't have to be a scout with 30 years experience in an NHL organization to see if a guy is having trouble keeping up with the play.

Wasn't Chebykin also 'off the boards'...?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Someone posted a Chebykin video so I watched and responded. Who cares if this is a Kara thread? Hundreds of threads get sidetracked into other topics daily. If you actually took a minute to see I was talking about Chebykin from the start none of this confusion would have happened.

It's a Kara thread........... start a new thread if you want to talk Chebykin.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
It's a Kara thread........... start a new thread if you want yo talk Chebykin.

Just take your medicine buddy.
You didnt take the time to actually look at what I was responding too and assumed it was about Kara and was wrong.

I wasnt the only person talking about Chebykin in this thread.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Just take your medicine buddy.
You didnt take the time to actually look at what I was responding too and assumed it was about Kara and was wrong.

I wasnt the only person talking about Chebykin in this thread.

Chebykin>Kara

Is that good enough for you.......buddy??

Do you have anything else to offer on Kara or do you just want to hijack the thread?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Chebykin>Kara

Is that good enough for you.......buddy??

Do you have anything else to offer on Kara or do you just want to hijack the thread?

I didnt hijack the thread as posts 101,102, 103 and 104 brought up Chebykin and a video was even posted.

You're just so trigger happy to call this Kara pick a bust you didnt even take the time to properly look at what someone was responding too.

Could have just said my bad I got it confused but instead had to turn it around on me somehow.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I didnt hijack the thread as posts 101,102, 103 and 104 brought up Chebykin and a video was even posted.

You're just so trigger happy to call this Kara pick a bust you didnt even take the time to properly look at what someone was responding too.

Could have just said my bad I got it confused but instead had to turn it around on me somehow.

The Chebykin video never should have been posted here in the first place. It should obviously be posted in a Chebykin thread.

In the digital age with air travel and so many games recorded if you aren't even ranked by NHL central scouting you have a miniscule chance of making the NHL by default. The Kara pick was just a bad pick. Period.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
What's going on here, a 'Kara Vs. Chebykin' holywar? :sarcasm:

Interesting information I've found recently: it has been reported that four Leafs scouts were present at the Black Sea Cup in May where Kara played, so I guess it wasn't Hunter all alone, who made a decision to draft him.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What's going on here, a 'Kara Vs. Chebykin' holywar? :sarcasm:

Interesting information I've found recently: it has been reported that four Leafs scouts were present at the Black Sea Cup in May where Kara played, so I guess it wasn't Hunter all alone, who made a decision to draft him.

this is what i meant earlier when i couldnt understand blaming/criticizing hunter. Nobody actually thinks Hunter just picks players on his own i hope, the scouting team as a whole signed off on picking Kara in the 4th doesn't make it the right/wrong pick but to question hunter and start a thread "do you trust hunter" is pretty ridiculous

edit: sorry its "is hunter overrated"

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

In fact, the Black Book of hockeyprospects.com quotes NHL scouts extensively, unlike The Draft Analyst. So does Bob McKenzie. That's one reason why I value them and take their opinions seriously. By contrast, I am glad to read The Draft Analyst chiefly because it is free. I appreciate the effort Steve K puts into it but I don't take it very seriously. I see no evidence he was in Russia to watch Kara.

I am not defending the selection of Kara. The sources I value don't even mention him, as you say. I think it is reasonable to suppose the Leafs took him at the end of the fourth round because they believed some other team was on him. What I do say is that I don't have enough information to judge the pick. And, to be blunt, neither do you.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
My 1st highlight montage/flashback for... Vladislav Kara (#42)..., who was the 4th pick in the 2017 NHL Draft (124th overall), by the Toronto Maple Leafs ... and played Right-Wing position with Russia's Bars Kazan 2016-17 team (VHL).... and also with the 2016-17 Irbis Kazan Team (MHL)....

Vladislav-Kara.jpg

Vladislav Kara
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Apr 20 1998 -- Salekhard, Russia
19 yrs. ago
Height 6.02 -- Weight 187

RECENT STATS:

*2016-17 - Bars Kazan - VHL
34 Games... 3 Goals... 5 Assists... 8 Points... -7
-----------------------------------------------------------
*2016-17 - Irbis Kazan - MHL
31 Games... 11 Goals... 9 Assists... 20 Points... +5
*2017 MHL PLAYOFFS
7 Games... 4 Goals... 1 Assist... 5 Points... +4

Clips include: Various goals and assists.., from Vladislav's 2016-17 season (*assists first/ goals second)
....and various 2016-2017 season photos....

Justified: Vladislav Kara 2016-17 Highlights - Leafs 2017 Draft Pick - TML (HD)

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
In fact, the Black Book of hockeyprospects.com quotes NHL scouts extensively, unlike The Draft Analyst. So does Bob McKenzie. That's one reason why I value them and take their opinions seriously. By contrast, I am glad to read The Draft Analyst chiefly because it is free. I appreciate the effort Steve K puts into it but I don't take it very seriously. I see no evidence he was in Russia to watch Kara.

I am not defending the selection of Kara. The sources I value don't even mention him, as you say. I think it is reasonable to suppose the Leafs took him at the end of the fourth round because they believed some other team was on him. What I do say is that I don't have enough information to judge the pick. And, to be blunt, neither do you.

Bob McKenzie takes polls of NHL scouts for the first couple of rounds. There's no actual scouting involved on his part.

I would take NHL central scouting seriously and Kara wasn't even ranked.

Did Hockeyprospect.com black book rank Kara?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This guy is like the most interesting man in the world to me right now. Came from nowhere and he's a 4th round pick for us.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
My 1st highlight montage/flashback for... Vladislav Kara (#42)..., who was the 4th pick in the 2017 NHL Draft (124th overall), by the Toronto Maple Leafs ... and played Right-Wing position with Russia's Bars Kazan 2016-17 team (VHL).... and also with the 2016-17 Irbis Kazan Team (MHL)....

Vladislav-Kara.jpg

Vladislav Kara
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Apr 20 1998 -- Salekhard, Russia
19 yrs. ago
Height 6.02 -- Weight 187

RECENT STATS:

*2016-17 - Bars Kazan - VHL
34 Games... 3 Goals... 5 Assists... 8 Points... -7
*2016-17 - Irbis Kazan - MHL
31 Games... 11 Goals... 9 Assists... 20 Points... +5
*2017 MHL PLAYOFFS
7 Games... 4 Goals... 1 Assist... 5 Points... +4

Clips include: Various goals and assists.., from Vladislav's 2016-17 season (*assists first/ goals second)
....and various 2016-2017 season photos....

Justified: Vladislav Kara 2016-17 Highlights - Leafs 2017 Draft Pick - TML (HD)

I can see why Hunter likes him. He kind of looks like a poor man's Grundstrom, Vilardi or Colby Armstrong with gritty play and soft hands around the net.

He's strong on his skates but the top end speed isn't there so Barb Underhill has her work cut out for her.

Shvyryov was still the better pick.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bob McKenzie takes polls of NHL scouts for the first couple of rounds. There's no actual scouting involved on his part.

I would take NHL central scouting seriously and Kara wasn't even ranked.

Did Hockeyprospect.com black book rank Kara?
No, he didn't even get a write-up.

But, this is a pick given to Ladygin and Namestinkov to see if they can hit on something. I heard a lot of teams ran out of guys on their board at this draft. Typically teams rank 90 to 100 guys they are comfortable drafting.

I doubt any of the 10 scouts Bob Polls and even many of the CSB have guys actively scouting the MHL, especially in person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad