Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 4th Rd (Via PIT) Vladislav Kara - 6'2" 187lbs LW\C - Irbis Kazan (MHL)

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I don't have an opinion but...

Seems this pick plus Korshkov has some of the fans in a complete tizzy. Who knows, it is a 4th rounder for crying out loud! Hunter saw something down the road, and like most 4th rounders we have to wait 3 years before we cry "dud." What percentage of 4th rounders every play in the NHL more than 40 games? 3 percent? Hunter doesn't have to hit 100 percent to be good, you do understand that? Marner, Mathews, Dermott, Liljegren, Grundstrom, Bracco, Nielsen +.. Im seeing a steady stream of NHL'ers coming out, now whether they ever play in Toronto? I mean Steen, Courtnall, Sullivan, S Smith, Kessel, Rask even Larry Murphy we're all not good enough, remember?

Tell me the truth, what is your real issue with Hunter, jealousy?

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Seems this pick plus Korshkov has some of the fans in a complete tizzy. Who knows, it is a 4th rounder for crying out loud! Hunter saw something down the road, and like most 4th rounders we have to wait 3 years before we cry "dud." What percentage of 4th rounders every play in the NHL more than 40 games? 3 percent? Hunter doesn't have to hit 100 percent to be good, you do understand that? Marner, Mathews, Dermott, Liljegren, Grundstrom, Bracco, Nielsen +.. Im seeing a steady stream of NHL'ers coming out, now whether they ever play in Toronto? I mean Steen, Courtnall, Sullivan, S Smith, Kessel, Rask even Larry Murphy we're all not good enough, remember?

Very very few people seem to understand that. People are complaining about our selections over the past few years since revamping the scouting staff. Newsflash, the very very very best scouting staffs in the entire league, still probably only average <2.5 NHLers per 7 picks in the draft.

If from the 2015-2016 drafts, we get Marner + Matthews + say ~4 of Dermott/Nielsen/Grundstrom/Bracco/Timashov/Greenway/Brooks/Khorshkov/Woll to become ~100+ game NHLers, then that would be considered VERY successful. And yet people will still complain if that happens.

Reactions: Its not your fault

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Something like 15% IIRC. I have opinions about our 1st and 2nd rounders but even the 3rd round starts to turn into dart chucking as far as hit % goes. That's why I'll never understand these guys who hold entrenched opinions about kids we take past #90 a month after we draft them. Jamie Benn looked like a 4th liner in his draft year and won an Art Ross. Plenty of time to be critical next year.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Korshkov, Bobylev and Chebykin were good value picks of well scouted Russian players.

Kara was a dart at a dart board.

Not the same. The only thing they have in common is their heritage.

You don't have to hate somebody to criticize an individual draft pick.

Hunter did a great job with London and his picks in the first two rounds have been excellent but his later round picks are mostly wild swings. It makes me wonder if they've run out of players on their draft list on the second day of the draft.

Last edited:

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Korshkov, Bobylev and Chebykin were good value picks of well scouted Russian players.

Kara was a dart at a dart board.

Not the same. The only thing they have in common is their heritage.

Korshkov was slated to go a round or two later when we made him the first pick of the second round so I'd hardly call him "good value." He was also a D+2 player. Chebkykin, Bobylev, and Kara were all drafted D+1, although I don't know why we're comparing them at all.

Stephen Desrocher is a more comparable use of a draft choice. D+1, late round, ostensibly lower upside guy.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Korshkov was slated to go a round or two later when we made him the first pick of the second round so I'd hardly call him "good value." He was also a D+2 player. Chebkykin, Bobylev, and Kara were all drafted D+1, although I don't know why we're comparing them at all.

Stephen Desrocher is a more comparable use of a draft choice. D+1, late round, ostensibly lower upside guy.

Who says Korshkov was supposed to go in the 3rd or 4th round, source? Korshkov was also the 1st pick on the second day, a lot of thought went into that pick.

Vladimir Bobylyov was drafted out of the WHL, Im probably wrong ...

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Korshkov was very good at the u20 WJC and the leafs probably felt that a guy with his size and skill package would go earlier than projected. I had him ranked at 44 on my list. Grundstrom was 30.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Korshkov was the 7th rated European rated CSS skater...

Behind
1: Matthews
2: Laine
3: Puljujarvi
6: Grundstrom

IIRC...

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Slight increase in ice time during his KHL time on a veteran Ak Bars team that was one of the league's top teams.

Not related to the Leafs, but his teammate Artyom Galimov was one of the league's top rookie scorers as a 20-year-old. He has passed through three drafts but it will be interesting to see if a team takes a flier on him this year.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Slight increase in ice time during his KHL time on a veteran Ak Bars team that was one of the league's top teams.

Not related to the Leafs, but his teammate Artyom Galimov was one of the league's top rookie scorers as a 20-year-old. He has past through three drafts but it will be interesting to see if a team takes a flier on him this year.

He is a top 5 round pick for me. He is nothing special, but he can be a solid 3rd line center/winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad