Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

New York Rangers at Toronto Maple Leafs: Thursday NHL preview

By: Mark Zwolinski Sports reporter, Published on Wed Feb 17 2016

AIR CANADA CENTRE

Puck drop: 7:30 p.m.

TV: TSN4

Radio: Sportsnet 590 The FAN

Key matchup: Derick Brassard vs. Morgan Rielly.

The Rangers’ Brassard has improved steadily over the past few seasons to the point where he’s one of the best, and most underrated, centres in the Eastern Conference. He’ll be a definite concern for Rielly, who always gets the assignment against the opposition’s best. Brassard, who scored Wednesday night, leads the Rangers with 20 goals, and is tied for the team lead with 43 points.

Need to know: The Rangers were on a 5-0-1 roll before hosting the Blackhawks Wednesday night in a potential Stanley Cup final preview . . . Defenceman Ryan McDonagh returned Wednesday after missing four games with a concussion, the result of a sucker punch by Wayne Simmonds of the Flyers. New York is missing blueliner Marc Staal, though, whose wife is close to giving birth . . . High-scoring Rick Nash is still working his way back from a bone bruise to his foot, suffered two weeks ago off a slapshot Nash has just 12 goals in 45 games, after scoring 42 last season . . . The Leafs need to be aware of Mats Zuccarello, who has 43 points, including three multi-point games this month.

Up next: Saturday vs. Philadelphia Flyers, 7 p.m.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
:laugh:

this is gonna be a stress of a game now, though.

it also depends whose starting. we kinda get to Hank, so playing the backup here would actually be in our favour.

Didn't Raanta get the win last time?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
giphy.gif

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Turned the other into pre-GDT and closed.

You're driving, I'm putting my feet up and looking over the cliff.

Will be interesting to see how the team comes out after that drubbing on Monday. Of course I probably won't actually watch the game, but I'll judge from the comments on here :P

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Will be interesting to see how the team comes out after that drubbing on Monday. Of course I probably won't actually watch the game, but I'll judge from the comments on here :P

I won't be surprised at anything, 10 - 0 loss or a 10 - 0 win.

It is probably safe to believe the Leafs are getting a top 7 pick at this point, they won't win the lottery, and some team behind them will jump their position.

Looking at a defender in the draft, with their 1st. pick, and trying to move up with the Penguins pick and grab a 2nd. line center.

Pretty much they have 1 center in the system with any hope of being in the top 6.

But, I'll watch that 80's show until they are laid beside Hoffa in New Jersey April 9th. I bet Lou knows where.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Confession: Sometimes I don't make GDT's because I feel like the Leafs will win and I'll look like Mike Ross.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nice - in lieu of Hunwick :handclap:

Probably just sitting in the pressbox though, eh?

Not sure about that. They are in Toronto tonight. They wouldn't need to call up someone just to sit him in the press box.

He'll be playing.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

It's on an emergency basis, I wonder if Hunwick is going to be out a while.

If it's on an emergency basis probably not ... Hunwick was probably assumed to play tonight but the injury didn't heal as expected so they're keeping him out.

Then again given the recent rash of Leaf injuries, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Leafs "take it slow" with Hunwick.

Lifeisnice

Apr 23, 2014
Canada
I hope the Leafs put up a good effort and there is lots of scoring/fights. I'll be at the game in the nosebleed seats tonight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad