Post-Game Talk: Leafs 2 - Pens 5 - Geno Drank too many Coronas

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I find it somewhat hard to belive this is the kind of team Babcock would want tho, Detroit used to play a good team game with hustle, same with Anaheim when he was there, and team Canada for that matter, even tho i think most coaches would have success with Canada :laugh:
My point is, he allways seemd like a coach who demanded his team play hard to me, and the Leafs definitely don't.

he was tone deaf to the newer breed of players. I think its pretty clear they tuned him out. I also think he was a bit overrated because of Detroit, which was probably more Bowman than Babcock anyhow...

I mean the last generation of hockey players in Detroit hated him but did what he wanted cause thats just how it was... he tried the same stuff with these guys and they just shut him out...

I think their team blows because Babcock wanted something that worked ten years ago and couldn’t adapt and the players Just quit on him... beyond that he couldn’t build a modern defense... the game probably just passed him by

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rust is smart. He worked on that exact shot all summer long. More than half of his goals now are elevated near the net shots. Hats off
Rumor has it that his shot was getting so lethal during the off season that the NHL had to intervene and tell him he had to knock that off, they would run out of Ovechkin storylines and it would hinder the goal scoring prowess of Matthews and Pastrnak.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I bet ZAR is back sooner than Geno...anyways...
what an underated performance by Jarry...there were saves that everyone just shrugged but they were unbeleivable
His work 5 on 3 was crazy...and his work behind his net helps so much...

just compare Sid to another socalled elite center (Tavares)...we lost any reference when we speak about Sid we just expect...

Reactions: ETA

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
i mean I am fairly certain he is One of the top 5 goalies in the leafs org, maybe even top 2....
All time or now?

Quick note: Sid is at 1.33 PPG and Geno is at 1.32. Full season would see them hit 109 and 108 points respectively. Not bad for two old guys on the downward side of their careers.

Reactions: canadianguy77

LiffLaff

Crazy? Me?
Feb 22, 2010
Vardal
he was tone deaf to the newer breed of players. I think its pretty clear they tuned him out. I also think he was a bit overrated because of Detroit, which was probably more Bowman than Babcock anyhow...

I mean the last generation of hockey players in Detroit hated him but did what he wanted cause thats just how it was... he tried the same stuff with these guys and they just shut him out...

I think their team blows because Babcock wanted something that worked ten years ago and couldn’t adapt and the players Just quit on him... beyond that he couldn’t build a modern defense... the game probably just passed him by
Oh I agree he used the wrong approche with his players, and that they most likly tuned him out, but I would still lay the blame for how the team was contructed at managements feet, not the coach.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Don’t even need Jake. Just give us everyone else.

hahaha... you do realize Geno probably really did just catch coronavirus... or ebola... or the plague... plus Letang is due to have his annual really freaky calamity...

Healthy? We should never ever have traded Phil... the Voodoo curse spent most of its energy trying to forcibly remove him from the lineup... now that he is gone, its making up for lost time....

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Keefe ripped into the team Therrien style tonight. They should be ready to save their season next game. But hopefully Malkin is back and drops 5 points on Campbell or something.

Reactions: domaug

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Jarry was outstanding. His stick work and how active and aggressive he played was a big reason that 5 on 3 PK was killed. The guy plays with a big set of balls...he comes out and plays pucks and gets involved. He was swinging his stick at puck carriers behind the net. Typically that gets goaltenders in trouble, but he has the smarts to know where to pick his spots. He is the #1 in my eyes. He just does things that make a big difference for a team, and make life easier for his guys.

I thought Angello and Lafferty had really good games. They brought energy, they were able to sustain pressure, they backchecked, got shots on net. Incredible what happens when you bring guys into the lineup who have a bit of gusto and something to prove. Lafferty has the exact same goals and points as ZAR, but plays 5 mins less and has seen action in 14 less games. This is not rocket science. I think Angello has the look of a guy we bring in and he gives a shot to the arm to the lineup. He is a really big boy who uses his size. I like him a lot.

I think the aspect of Rust's game that I find most evolutionary is his playmaking. He makes these insane one-touch passes. I have absolutely no idea where that came from. I always thought he'd be able to score in the mid-20's for goals, but it's the assist totals that are blowing me away. He is a beauty of a player.

Kahun was noticeable in a good way. What a diverse skillset that dude has. He can quite literally do anything and play any style.

Sid and Zucker look like Sid and Jake. It's sublime. Sid did a flip pass tonight and it landed right on Zucker's stick. Those two also make Simon look good. We could absolutely use an upgrade on Simon, but he looks fine there right now. If Jake comes back and we can roll Jake - Geno - Rust, the lineup is really unbelievable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here's how fortunate we are.

Since January 1st...

Matt Murray is 6-1-1 with a .929 save percentage and a 2.22 goals-against average.

Since the whole season

Tristan Jarry is 20-8-1, .931 save percentage and a 2.13 goals-against average.

Toronto is crying at their situation in net right now, while the Pens are like...

CarefulLimitedBlackbuck-size_restricted.gif

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Basically, injuries are the only reason Pittsburgh has lost a game.

I like how you think.

However the real story is the Pens system, taught and coached up and down the organization. And finding players who can buy into, and excel in, it.

Interchangeable parts make losing so many key players not end up losing that many games.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
TMLs are so screwed. Suppose they put it together, they still won’t catch TB or the Bruins. So, to get to the SCF they have to go through TB, Bos and the Pens/Caps winner. Good luck.

Small minus to Rusty for taking the second penalty to give the 5v3, taking another penalty shortly thereafter and then when that was killed, rushing into the play and knocking the puck on sides at the Pens blue line which led to the first goal against.

Forgot how annoying Pierre is.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Saying the Leafs D is terrible, don't hear that called out often.
OH mate, Leafs fans literally argued with me when I said Dubas hasn't had the guts to make that Sergachev for Drouin type trade and they pointed out Muzzin and Barrie.

Muzzin was the year before, Barrie has been incredibly disappointing and he'll likely walk and both are 28+ years old. Still didn't prove my point, that Dubas doesn't have the balls to make that move. He has all of these scoring options but that defense is god awful, even with Rielly back, they were bleeding goals left and right, it didn't MAKE their DEFENSE better, it made their OFFENSE better, which is still the same f***ing problem with or without him, their defense blows.

They wanted Pesce, but think he can be had for a 2nd and garbage they are ok giving up, lol...a fantastic defenseman that makes them a stronger team, that has some years on that contract at a great cap hit, will be had for scraps and a 2nd?

Right. What a bunch of wankers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad