News Article: Leafs #2 in new ESPN Prospect Rankings!

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Was Damphousse. You can't say Clark because well.. This kid is a force, doesn't matter if he isn't 6ft 2. He is a major game changer. Reminds me too much of Gilmour and yet isn't. He is more like only having Hawerchuk........:naughty:

Know how giddy I'd be at the prospect of Marner being as good as Hawerchuk was? His comparable in the NHL right now, performance vs the top would likely be Tavares or Backstrom.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I agree that the Isls don't have a Marner or Nylander type, but if you ranked a top 10 prospect list between the Leafs and the Isls, it could go Marner-Nylander-8 Islander players. You could argue cases for KK, Brown and Bracco..... but you could argue it the other way was well.

Goalies:
Ilya Sorokin Europe 7.5
Linus Soderstrom Europe 7.5

Forwards:
Josh Ho-Sang CHL 8.0
Michael Dal Colle CHL 8.0
Mathew Barzal CHL 8.0

Defense:
Griffin Reinhart Pro 8.0
Ryan Pulock Pro 8.0
Mitchell Vande Sompel CHL 7.5

Still, pretty impressive, and right up there with Edmonton and I would say better than Buffalo, all while not coming bottom 5 every year.

The NYI absolutely do NOT have a better pool than us. I swear it's like even some Leafs fans buy into the anti-Leaf propaganda on these boards.

Reinhart isn't on the team anymore.

What exactly makes Vande Sompel better than Dermott?

What's the argument for saying Ho-Sang is better than Kapanen? Kapanen was drafted higher and it's not like Ho-Sang had a sensational draft+1 year.

Lastly, goalies are beyond unpredictable and pretty much should have little to no influence on how prospect pools should be ranked, unless that goalie is someone like Vasilevski.

The Leafs have a way better top end. Marner/Nylander>>>>>>>>Barzal/MDC.

The Leafs also have better depth, so quite frankly I don't see the argument for NYI over us.

Sorry, if I came across as a attacking you. Your post just gave me material to work with:laugh:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
So here's a question, and I won't ask it on the main board because I'd rather not have Jets fans attack me.

What exactly makes their pool better than ours?

We have Marner, who is better than all of their prospects.

Their best prospect (Ehlers) isn't even as good as our 2nd best prospect (Nylander). They're close, I'll admit that.

Now, I know I'm going to get a lot of people talking about their depth. But would rather have 2-3 stars/top line player or 4-5 top 9 forwards?

Let's face it, depth is great and all, but most prospects don't pan out. That is why players like Marner and Nylander should impact these rankings more than potential 2nd or 3rd liners.

Depth is also insanely unpredictable. Who's to say our depth doesn't turn out better than theirs? Our sure fire prospects over their sure fire prospects everyday.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
So here's a question, and I won't ask it on the main board because I'd rather not have Jets fans attack me.

Their best prospect (Ehlers) isn't even as good as our 2nd best prospect (Nylander). They're close, I'll admit that.

Now, I know I'm going to get a lot of people talking about their depth. But would rather have 2-3 stars/top line player or 4-5 top 9 forwards?

Let's face it, depth is great and all, but most prospects don't pan out. That is why players like Marner and Nylander should impact these rankings more than potential 2nd or 3rd liners.

Depth is also insanely unpredictable. Who's to say our depth doesn't turn out better than theirs? Our sure fire prospects over their sure fire prospects everyday.

If you're asking for a biased opinion, they probably believe Ehlers >= Nylander and that their goalie prospects (depth + top end talent) give them the edge.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Arizona has Dylan Strome, Max Domi, Anthony Duclair, Brendan Perlini, Nick Merkley, and Christian Dvorak among others and that doesn't even included QMJHL scoring champ Connor Garland . That is a lot of high end offensive talent.

verses

Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Brown, Bracco and ?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Honestly the difference between our prospect pools are extremely similar. We have the best F(Marner), but they have the best D(Morrissey) & G(Comrie & Hellebuyck). Our Forward depth is extremely similar after Marner, and our D depth is better (I'd put Dermott, Percy, Loov, Valiev & Harrington > everyone but Morrissey) but their goaltending blows us out of the water. To me we're a top 4 with EDM, BUF & WPG, but top 2 in most depth/top prospects.

Marner > Everyone
Nylander = Ehlers (I think Nylander's better but it's kind of a wash)
Brown = Petan
Kapanen = Connor
Johnson = Armia
Bracco = Harkins

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Arizona has Dylan Strome, Max Domi, Anthony Duclair, Brendan Perlini, Nick Merkley, and Christian Dvorak among others and that doesn't even included QMJHL scoring champ Connor Garland . That is a lot of high end offensive talent.

verses

Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Brown, Bracco and ?

...and A. Johnson(won SHL rookie of the year, lead points for U21, Timashov (70 assists in the Q, most prolific Swedish scorer in the last 10 years other than Nylander), Leipsic

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
If you're asking for a biased opinion, they probably believe Ehlers >= Nylander and that their goalie prospects (depth + top end talent) give them the edge.

But even if you think Ehlers is slightly better than Nylander, they have zero answer for Marner. At the end of the day, that's why we're ranked ahead of some of those clubs behind us - we have two Marner/Nylander calibre prospects and most of them only have one.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But even if you think Ehlers is slightly better than Nylander, they have zero answer for Marner. At the end of the day, that's why we're ranked ahead of some of those clubs behind us - we have two Marner/Nylander calibre prospects and most of them only have one.

Pronman does have Jack Eichel #2 and Sam Reinhart #3 best prospects and has Buffalo below Toronto on his rankings so Sabres do have two high calibre prospects as Marner is ranked #4 and Nylander #6 on his list.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Some seem to take this way to seriously, it's just someone's opinion of our prospect pool. Maybe he rated us a few spots higher than someone else will, maybe we should be #1(I doubt it). I think the point is that we finally have a good prospect pool, it doesn't matter if we are #1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I would think that teams ranked 2,3,4,5 would be very similar to each other.

It's nice to believe that there is a bright light at the end of this long dark journey.

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Some seem to take this way to seriously, it's just someone's opinion of our prospect pool. Maybe he rated us a few spots higher than someone else will, maybe we should be #1(I doubt it). I think the point is that we finally have a good prospect pool, it doesn't matter if we are #1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I would think that teams ranked 2,3,4,5 would be very similar to each other.

It's nice to believe that there is a bright light at the end of this long dark journey.

Most frustrating part is that this will actually be a reasonably quick rebuild... we just prolonged the start of it so long by being a mediocre club trying to make the post-season.

In 1.5 years of rebuilding (starting with drafting Nylander and adding one-year free agents last year), we've completely restocked this team's prospect pool. Add one more year of a top-5 pick (hopefully) another Kessel like return for a guy like JVR and you've likely got all the foundational pieces you need to be a very good team in another 2/3 years.

As you said, I couldn't care less if we're ranked 1-5 on these listings. We can see for ourselves that we've started to build a strong foundation. If Marner & Nylander pan out and one of Brown, Bracco, Kapenen, etc. live up to their top-potential we're in good shape. Add to that what is hopefully a franchise defenceman or centre in the 2016 draft = :yo:

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
The NYI absolutely do NOT have a better pool than us. I swear it's like even some Leafs fans buy into the anti-Leaf propaganda on these boards.

Reinhart isn't on the team anymore.

What exactly makes Vande Sompel better than Dermott?

What's the argument for saying Ho-Sang is better than Kapanen? Kapanen was drafted higher and it's not like Ho-Sang had a sensational draft+1 year.

Lastly, goalies are beyond unpredictable and pretty much should have little to no influence on how prospect pools should be ranked, unless that goalie is someone like Vasilevski.

The Leafs have a way better top end. Marner/Nylander>>>>>>>>Barzal/MDC.

The Leafs also have better depth, so quite frankly I don't see the argument for NYI over us.

Sorry, if I came across as a attacking you. Your post just gave me material to work with:laugh:

Erm, never said any was better than any, besides Marner-Nylander are 1-2.

I said you can make an ARGUMENT that there players are better. I can easily argue why Ho-sang is better than KK..... Doesn't mean it's 100% fact going forward. (Although I would honestly rather Ho-Sang over KK)

Sompel as well... you can make a good case either way. Although in this case, I would rather Dermott, but that's just my preference

As for depth, again, all to be interrupted. It's close, but pretty impossible to determine depth.

Don't mind the attacks mate :yo: at least you post VALID reasoning, I can't argue that.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Most frustrating part is that this will actually be a reasonably quick rebuild... we just prolonged the start of it so long by being a mediocre club trying to make the post-season.

In 1.5 years of rebuilding (starting with drafting Nylander and adding one-year free agents last year), we've completely restocked this team's prospect pool. Add one more year of a top-5 pick (hopefully) another Kessel like return for a guy like JVR and you've likely got all the foundational pieces you need to be a very good team in another 2/3 years.

As you said, I couldn't care less if we're ranked 1-5 on these listings. We can see for ourselves that we've started to build a strong foundation. If Marner & Nylander pan out and one of Brown, Bracco, Kapenen, etc. live up to their top-potential we're in good shape. Add to that what is hopefully a franchise defenceman or centre in the 2016 draft = :yo:

Could you imagine if we could have drafted like that for the last 5 years??

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

Personally, I always thought the Jets are WAY over rated.

I would take the Leafs current prospect list, over the Jets, any and everyday.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Erm, never said any was better than any, besides Marner-Nylander are 1-2.

I said you can make an ARGUMENT that there players are better. I can easily argue why Ho-sang is better than KK..... Doesn't mean it's 100% fact going forward. (Although I would honestly rather Ho-Sang over KK)

Sompel as well... you can make a good case either way. Although in this case, I would rather Dermott, but that's just my preference

As for depth, again, all to be interrupted. It's close, but pretty impossible to determine depth.

Don't mind the attacks mate :yo: at least you post VALID reasoning, I can't argue that.

This article gave me a good laugh.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=776196

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

:laugh: Wow!!!!, just wow.... What can you even say about that list? I hope KK is that good, but he is miles away from Nylander. For some odd reason, I see those 2 playing on the same line together in the future.

and why does it seem like the whole world, maybe except for Pronman, hate Connor Brown? I swear he could put up 2 PPG in the AHL next year, and be lucky to crack a top 50!! :laugh:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
:laugh: Wow!!!!, just wow.... What can you even say about that list? I hope KK is that good, but he is miles away from Nylander. For some odd reason, I see those 2 playing on the same line together in the future.

and why does it seem like the whole world, maybe except for Pronman, hate Connor Brown? I swear he could put up 2 PPG in the AHL next year, and be lucky to crack a top 50!! :laugh:

I see it too. They seem to already be friends, and both their dads played about the same time.. But the thing that pisses me off the most is they clearly do no research in these articles. Height and weight off, and there's just no way Kap is better ugh. And yeah Brown will never get the credit he deserves until he gets 2PPG.. :laugh: But if Nylander ends up a winger this team will make me drool.

Nylander Marner Kapanen
JVR Kadri Brown

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
WTF?

I'm usually ok with subjectivity and disagreement when it comes to prospects, how in the **** you could put Kapanen ahead of Nylander is beyond me. They aren't really close.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Yeah, thinking Kapanen > Nylander is basically where the author instantly looses all credibility.

As far as Brown goes, because he was a 6th rd pick, he will never be a top prospect. When he eventually makes the NHL as a top 6 forward, someone like the author of that article will come out with a new piece about how Brown came out of nowhere to become a steal of a draft pick, completely ignore all the awards he won during his development.

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
Marner could ultimately prove to be a better player than Eichel.

McDavid is a force unto himself.

Not a chance, Marner is amazing to have but i wouldn't hesitate for a second to trade him for Eichel.

And in my opinion Wpg should be higher just based on their incredible goalie depth. I think we are in the same place as the Islanders but top 5 in prospects. That's not a bad place to be :D

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah, thinking Kapanen > Nylander is basically where the author instantly looses all credibility.

As far as Brown goes, because he was a 6th rd pick, he will never be a top prospect. When he eventually makes the NHL as a top 6 forward, someone like the author of that article will come out with a new piece about how Brown came out of nowhere to become a steal of a draft pick, completely ignore all the awards he won during his development.

I think Browns going to be a lot like Stone where only his own fanbase takes him seriously before he makes the NHL and does exactly what we expected him to while everyone else acts surprised.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina

Kapanen WAS ranked higher by scouts in 2014 ... so someone saw something in him.
Naturally Nylander has amazed sine the draft so Kapanen has some catching up to do.
But you never know ... Kapanen could be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad