News Article: Leafs #2 in new ESPN Prospect Rankings!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think we're #2, but I would guess we're anywhere between 3-7.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Thought we didn't put much stock in what ESPN has to say about hockey.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Leafs #2 in new ESPN Prospect Rankings!

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike...ospect-List-Setoguchi-Toronto-Bound/120/70403

Previous rank was #17 last year ... what an amazing turn around by Shanahan and team.
Dead last at #30 was Pittsburgh.

Discuss.

Thanks .

I don't know. How do you go from 17 to 2 after one draft? This illustrates all that is wrong with rankings of prospects. Or maybe just ESPN in general. Subjective, and reactionary. Leafs improve their drafting and developing staff and all of a sudden all their prospects that were mid way in terms of rank are now number two? Don't know if that was part of the ranking criteria.

It's nice to see them at the top of someone's list, but I take it with a grain of salt just as I did when they were 17th.

I think they improved some of the top end guys, drafting Marner and getting Kapenen in a trade. They added lots of skill with boom or bust type of picks, Bracco, Timoshov, Dzerkals could all be top 6 players, Dermott could be a top pairing guy, or bust as well. Add Nylander from last year and for sure they have improved. I remember when Kadri was the one hope for a top 6 forward.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think we're ranked where we should be. You could probably interchange us with Buffalo... it's very close. Our forward group is among the best. Defensively there's a lot of good depth with some really good prospects but lacks that one blue chipper. Goaltending is all right.

People will think Buffalo should be ahead but they lost a bit of that good depth with the Kane and O'Reilly trades.

Great times ahead. We have a great prospect pool that should only get better in the next few years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Thanks .

I don't know. How do you go from 17 to 2 after one draft? This illustrates all that is wrong with rankings of prospects. Or maybe just ESPN in general. Subjective, and reactionary. Leafs improve their drafting and developing staff and all of a sudden all their prospects that were mid way in terms of rank are now number two? Don't know if that was part of the ranking criteria.

It's nice to see them at the top of someone's list, but I take it with a grain of salt just as I did when they were 17th.

I think they improved some of the top end guys, drafting Marner and getting Kapenen in a trade. They added lots of skill with boom or bust type of picks, Bracco, Timoshov, Dzerkals could all be top 6 players, Dermott could be a top pairing guy, or bust as well. Add Nylander from last year and for sure they have improved. I remember when Kadri was the one hope for a top 6 forward.

It really isn't complicated going from #17 to #2. Drafting Marner which is a huge plus. Then you have the additions of Kapanen, Harrington, Hyman, Leipsic and a few others. After that, you have good/great development years in Nylander, Brown, Loov, Johnson and a couple others. Then you have what was a very succesful draft in adding really good value picks in Dermott, Bracco, Dzierkals, Timashov, etc.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Thanks .

It wasn't just the draft. The Kessel trade added prospects ... as did the Franson trade with Nashville last season. It's a series of moves over the last 6 months.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
1. Edm
2. Buf
3. Wpg
4. Tor

imo which is still pretty impressive because its only been 1.5 years under Shanny

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The other side of the equation, is that other teams simply graduated a lot of their superior prospects... Prospect rankings can be a very liquid pool.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm not going to apologize for a good rating. That's the highest I've ever seen Toronto ranked in anything.

Looks about right. A lot of work has been done. Becoming #1 by the next draft will be like taking candy from a baby.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The other side of the equation, is that other teams simply graduated a lot of their superior prospects... Prospect rankings can be a very liquid pool.

Same with the Top 50 listing the other day, add the dozen or so NHL players from the 2013, 2014 draft and things look different.

However, it is nice to see the talent in the system, regardless if it is ranked 2nd. or 12th.

If only they started drafting talent before testosterone years ago ... but then maybe we wouldn't have this new management group?

Better late than never.

Now, let's hope half of them work out.

McDavid probably won't be much of a prospect ... he'll be a player before this season is done ... so Leafs could move into top spot.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
People have to remember that it is Pronman. He's very skill-centric in his evaluation of prospects, so he probably rates the guys Toronto has picked higher than most. That's certainly a factor.

I think Edmonton should be ahead mainly due to McDavid, and I feel like Jets have a better group a lot due to the vast difference in goaltending prospects. Other than that though, we should be in the discussion with any team out there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs have made significant improvement in the prospect pool since Shanny has arrived without question as he inherited a bottom 5 one from previous management.

Even last year with Nylander and the 2014 draft class the Hockey News ranking based on polling 10 NHL amateur scouts and execs blended opinions ranked the Leafs 27th overall in the Future Watch Edition (April 2015).

Adding Marner, Dermott, Bracco in the draft and Kapanen and Harrington in trade (Kessel) will boost that team ranking up.

Pronman's #2 Leafs ranking moving up from his previous #17 ranking seems done more for shock and awe purposes, to draw and increase viewership to himself and ESPN, by his list based on Leaf Nation size. This ESPN insider report is behind a paywall and so catering to the biggest fan base is for a not so hidden agenda to increase customers to their site.

How can teams like Buffalo and Winnipeg previously ranked top 5 get passed by the Leafs, particularly Sabres by adding Eichel and Jets adding 2 X top 25 picks 1st round picks in the draft to a ranking that was already near the very top?.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Thanks .

Because it wasn't JUST the draft. Also added were prospects Leipsic, Kapanen, Bailey, etc via trade.

Edmonton has the edge due to McDavid, but apparently Pronman thinks we now have the deepest pool overall of A level skilled prospects and I would tend to agree with that assessment.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
1. Edm
2. Buf
3. Wpg
4. Tor

imo which is still pretty impressive because its only been 1.5 years under Shanny

Arizona, New York Islanders, and the Ducks might be in there as well. I would realistically put us somewhere in the 7 to 11 spot - but likely top 3 / top 5 by this time next year.

We've dramatically improved our overall depth and the top end of our forwards. I think the area we need to address now is the top end of our D prospects and a higher end goalie prospect would be nice as well.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
Maybe he just wanted a few extra hits on his "Premimum" page whihc you need to subscribe & pay for if you want to view the actual article. How better to do that than to get a whole fan base buzzing about this meteorical rise in rankings.

No way we're 2nd in the league.

Edmonton
Winnipeg
Buffalo
Anaheim

all imo still above Leafs

Szymonmf

Sep 13, 2014
Hamilton, ON
Corey Pronman said the only reason Edmonton was first was because of McDavid. Buffalo dropped from 1st because they traded away so many prospects/picks for O'Reilly Kane and lehner. Pronman was simply very impressed with the leafs drafting and the prospects they got from the Kessel trade. In an interview with TSN he said the leafs drastically jumped in his rankings after the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
People always find ways to undermine and disprove expert's assessments and think their's are more accurate.

Why can't you just be happy and accept the result of Pronman's finding Leafs Nation?

When was the last time the Leafs had a prospect pool like this to celebrate?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad