Leafs #1 center.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Mats was a right-handed RW when drafted, bodes well for JVR who's lefty on the left wing I suppose...

EDIT: check out Quebec's roster back then:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/QUE/1991.html

Looks like he was converted after 2 years?

Three guys born in the '50's, including Lafleur in '51. I realize that was over 20 years ago, but it's so bizarre to see those numbers now with current players born in '95.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Quebec had Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg at center so Mats played wing when he first arrived. Cliff Fletcher recognized the Nordiques strength down the middle and acquired him for TO.

Darryl Sittler while drafted as a center played wing his first few years on a team that boasted Keon and Ullman etc at center.

Its really not that uncommon for players to break in at wing because a center has a lot more responsibilities defensively, face-offs etc that take time to learn against seasoned pros.

Forsberg never actually played with Sundin in the NHL. His first season in Quebec was Sundin's first in Toronto.

If memory serves, Sundin played centre between Nolan and Valeri Kamensky on the Nords, but I could be mistaken.

Mr Scarface*

Considering that we're more than set on the wings, this gamble is worth a shot.
Yep. It doesn't matter jackshot who plays middle when we got this much wing.
We got the C going real nice. Bozak, Kadri, McClement, Bolland and Smithson... very very strong. Deep even now.

Bolland and McClement are playoff guys who are really important. It's interesting to see how kadri and bozak can elevate their games when the time comes. In the playoffs that is.

I ain't worried at all. We got everything going for us and everybody else in the league is so jealous. They are envious that it makes some gm's red at times.... seen it happen.

Mr Scarface*

Forsberg never actually played with Sundin in the NHL. His first season in Quebec was Sundin's first in Toronto.

If memory serves, Sundin played centre between Nolan and Valeri Kamensky on the Nords, but I could be mistaken.
Think it was with Kovalenko... (?)

Mr Scarface*

Have JVR centre on 1st line (like they have been doing in practice). Kadri 2nd line, McClement 3rd, and Trevor Smith (or another call up) play 4th. Problem solved for now. I don't think Nonis will make any deals. Let's have some faith in our depth!
Smith is not playing for the Maple Leafs like ever again. He is not ready for the NHL.

Smithson is though. He's big and strong and wins faceoffs for us now. Plays the pk and with McLaren and Orr on the dirty 4th line. War zone line is what I like to call it.

Scarlet Witch

Jun 1, 2012
Toronto
Smith is not playing for the Maple Leafs like ever again. He is not ready for the NHL.

Smithson is though. He's big and strong and wins faceoffs for us now. Plays the pk and with McLaren and Orr on the dirty 4th line. War zone line is what I like to call it.

Smithson is also very hard.

Mr Scarface*

Smithson is also very hard.
You are spot on and very correct there. I like that there and many are beginning to understand how hard our team is. Carly's maple leafs are not soft like some leafs were... but real hard. Just a real hard edge to the whole game they have. Carlyle himself is a real hard ass who has that nose for these things..... I'm beginning to find this all very exciting and our team looking more and more and more playoff magnumed up.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
It would be pretty awesome if JVR can become a center...I mean that would help us so much....However I don't see it happening. However I hope I'm damn wrong and he becomes a center lol.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Quebec had Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg at center so Mats played wing when he first arrived. Cliff Fletcher recognized the Nordiques strength down the middle and acquired him for TO.

Forsberg didn't arrive in the NHL until after Sundin was traded, but Sundin was played on the wing when he was younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad