Leafs #1 center.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
After 4 seasons of being with the team that drafted as one of the top picks in the entire draft, the big power forward type winger was traded at the draft to the Leafs at the age of 23.

He played a 48 game season and became a fan favourite his first year in Toronto. Never playing center in the NHL before (although he did throughout his junior career), the Leafs decided to play him at center.

Man I miss Sundin, wait...what! ;)

Last edited:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
After 4 seasons of being with the team that drafted as one of the top picks in the entire draft, the big power forward type winger was traded at the draft to the Leafs at the age of 23.

He played a 48 game season and became a fan favourite his first year in Toronto. Never playing center in the NHL before (although he did throughout his junior career), the Leafs decided to play him at center.

Are you implying you think JVR will be our first line center?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
JVR to C is a smart trial. It's 100% worth it to explore this.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I never knew Mats played Wing.
seriously - if lightening struck twice.... boom.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
I was thinking about the JVR as a C experiment yesterday and thought given enough time to settle into the position how he could really flourish there. There is no doubt he has all the tools; size, patients, IQ, vision, passing and scoring. I REALLY hope he succeeds.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
JVR better knock it out of the park or the leafs are in trouble. We have no centres available that can handle top-line opposition minutes. Bozak won't fix that he has been getting snowed under all season.

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
If JVR doesn't get a 4 point night tomorrow and saturday and isn't at least 90% on the FO circle, demote him to the 3rd line.

I've had enough of this team. Time to hold players accountable.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I never knew Mats played Wing.
seriously - if lightening struck twice.... boom.

Quebec had Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg at center so Mats played wing when he first arrived. Cliff Fletcher recognized the Nordiques strength down the middle and acquired him for TO.

Darryl Sittler while drafted as a center played wing his first few years on a team that boasted Keon and Ullman etc at center.

Its really not that uncommon for players to break in at wing because a center has a lot more responsibilities defensively, face-offs etc that take time to learn against seasoned pros.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Don't hold your breath on JVR being our new centre. RC is just making the most of what he has and I really doubt he thinks JVR is going to become a top6 C on this team. This is damage control to get us through injuries; not an experiment to find a 1C.

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
hypothetically speaking, IF the leafs acquire a center (like Couturier or Stastny) AND Bolland recovers from his injury what happens to Kadri/Bozak ?

Would Kadri shift to the wing?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Don't hold your breath on JVR being our new centre. RC is just making the most of what he has and I really doubt he thinks JVR is going to become a top6 C on this team. This is damage control to get us through injuries; not an experiment to find a 1C.

Honestly I hope it works out so well he becomes a Center. I really mean that, JVR can drive and our current C can not.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
He can rush with the puck and drive the net. He can break through defense. Drive possession as well as the play. He is a driver, Bozak is a passenger.

Yes; JVR excels at all of these things. But if he's playing centre, he's not on the wing anymore and thats when we really see him drive the net (like most wingers). This is the same thing people questioned when the Oilers tried Hall at centre.

Taking a faceoff isn't the only difference between C and W and I think JVR is very very well suited to playing the wing...most notable using his size to drive the net from the outside.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Yes; JVR excels at all of these things. But if he's playing centre, he's not on the wing anymore and thats when we really see him drive the net (like most wingers). This is the same thing people questioned when the Oilers tried Hall at centre.

Taking a faceoff isn't the only difference between C and W and I think JVR is very very well suited to playing the wing...most notable using his size to drive the net from the outside.

Yeah, I'd prefer running with a top line of JVR-Kadri-Kessel. Let them develop chemistry.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

If he can do well at Center and do what he does, you could even put Kulemin on the wing and the line would be actually very scary to play against.

Add: I would go head to head against top lines running with the above if he can transition his game.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm sure RC would as well, but with our injuries we really can't afford to put all three of those guys on one line, especially against teams like Boston whom we play in a couple days.

Tbh if he converts well we are the luckiest team in the league. I would not take a power forward Center away from this team. It is what has been needed since Sundin left.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
If he can do well at Center and do what he does, you could even put Kulemin on the wing and the line would be actually very scary to play against.

The first thing to go when JVR plays C is his ability to drive the net from the outside. The very first thing he loses is his most important aspect to our top6.

Kulie has absolutely zero offensive ability and does not drive the net in any manner close to what JVR does.

How Kulie-JVR-Kessel is somehow better than JVR-Bozak-Kessel is absolutely beyond me.

You can take it to the bank that as soon as Bozak is back in the lineup; JVR is back on the wing.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I dont know if I like JVR moving to center. JVR's has been preached to crash the net and screen the goalie since he's come here, and now he can't really do in 5v5 since he's become a center.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON

Sundin was drafted 1st overall btw...

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
hypothetically speaking, IF the leafs acquire a center (like Couturier or Stastny) AND Bolland recovers from his injury what happens to Kadri/Bozak ?

Would Kadri shift to the wing?

JVR Stastny Kessel
Lupul Bozak Kadri
Raymond Bolland Clarkson

I guess.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad