Leafs #1 center.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Quebec had Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg at center so Mats played wing when he first arrived. Cliff Fletcher recognized the Nordiques strength down the middle and acquired him for TO.

Darryl Sittler while drafted as a center played wing his first few years on a team that boasted Keon and Ullman etc at center.

Its really not that uncommon for players to break in at wing because a center has a lot more responsibilities defensively, face-offs etc that take time to learn against seasoned pros.
Yup, just like Kadri in the AHL.

Also Galchenyuk, he got killed against St Louis the other night when they moved him back to centre.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Let's just see how it all works out.

We have no idea how things are going to look right now. As much as we need to see how JVR does at center we need to see what kind of options we have with the current second line. Raymond can move, Kadri can distribute and Clarkson will be throwing himself in there. I'm as curious to see how that combination does especially if Clarkson can annoy the opposition and combine that with Kadri's ability to draw penalties.

I don't think whatever we lose from JVR not being on the wing will hurt the top line with Kessel and Lupul there. The big question is how he does defensively. If it does work that'd be fun as hell since we finally get some real skill up the middle with size that we haven't come close to since Mats left.

No guarantee anything really works out. Maybe it does end up just a rough patch job until Bozak returns. Maybe it doesn't though. Looking forward to finding out.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Honestly I hope it works out so well he becomes a Center. I really mean that, JVR can drive and our current C can not.

some nice optimism from you for once, maybe he'll take some tips from bozak on how to be a 1c

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Quebec had Joe Sakic and Peter Forsberg at center so Mats played wing when he first arrived. Cliff Fletcher recognized the Nordiques strength down the middle and acquired him for TO.

Darryl Sittler while drafted as a center played wing his first few years on a team that boasted Keon and Ullman etc at center.

Its really not that uncommon for players to break in at wing because a center has a lot more responsibilities defensively, face-offs etc that take time to learn against seasoned pros.

joe sakic and peter forsberg is pretty good, mike richards jeff carter and giroux are good too.... (as well as brayden schenn and Couterier...)

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
JVR probably goes back to the wing once Bozak returns.

However, considering how Bozak getting injured in the playoffs created such a massive hole in our lineup it could end up being the best thing for this team to get another player some reps in as a center in case/when injuries do hit.

Even when Bozak/Bolland were healthy we really needed another winger who could shift over to center like LA, Philly, Boston has had as an advantage in recent seasons for when injuries/critical faceoffs that require 2 Centers on the ice.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
At the same age?

Sundin broke into the league at age 18 at 6'4 220, and when he left the league he was listed at 6'5 235. I doubt he was ever actually 6'5, but JvR still isn't 220.

EDIT : Wow I was way off. His rookie card lists him at 6'3 185, so I don't even know what to believe anymore :monkey:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
JVR probably goes back to the wing once Bozak returns.

However, considering how Bozak getting injured in the playoffs created such a massive hole in our lineup it could end up being the best thing for this team to get another player some reps in as a center in case/when injuries do hit.

Even when Bozak/Bolland were healthy we really needed another winger who could shift over to center like LA, Philly, Boston has had as an advantage in recent seasons for when injuries/critical faceoffs that require 2 Centers on the ice.

I think it will almost certainly happen.

Another good thing from all this is we can see how JVR plays at center in case the time ever comes where lines aren't clicking, it gives us the option to stack a line with Lupul-JVR-Kessel to try and get something going. Just another option in the bad for the coach.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think it will almost certainly happen.

Another good thing from all this is we can see how JVR plays at center in case the time ever comes where lines aren't clicking, it gives us the option to stack a line with Lupul-JVR-Kessel to try and get something going. Just another option in the bad for the coach.

If Bozak can play with JVR Kessel, why not Kulemin? If JVR succeeds, when Bozak returns...

Kulemin JVR Kessel
Lupul Kadri Clarkson
Raymond Bozak Leivo/Ashton
McLaren McClemment Orr
Smithson

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I actually think JVR will be ok at center. He's got the size, he's improved defensively and has become one of Carlye's top penalty killers and really he can't be much worse than some of our other guys on faceoffs.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
hypothetically speaking, IF the leafs acquire a center (like Couturier or Stastny) AND Bolland recovers from his injury what happens to Kadri/Bozak ?

Would Kadri shift to the wing?

Couturier hasn't exactly lived up to the hype of his first season. Leafs fans are still raving about him because they don't watch Philly games, apparently.

If the Leafs acquired a 1C and they weren't giving up Kadri in the process, would be miracle enough, but Stastny is a potential target that would allow that, since Duchene, O'Reilly and MacKinnon would make-up the 1,2, and 3C slots for the foreseeable future.

So Assuming all C's are healthy, We'd likely go with Stastny, Kadri, Bolland, McClement, and Bozak would get moved to the wing, probably interchangeably on the 1st and 3rd lines depending on the faceoff location and other variables.

We know Carlyle likes having two capable centremen on every shift, even if one goes straight off after. He'll keep Bozak active, if for that reason alone.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Sundin broke into the league at age 18 at 6'4 220, and when he left the league he was listed at 6'5 235. I doubt he was ever actually 6'5, but JvR still isn't 220.

EDIT : Wow I was way off. His rookie card lists him at 6'3 185, so I don't even know what to believe anymore :monkey:

He most definitely was 6'5''. The dude was massive.

JVR is not as tall or thick, but he's still larger than most #1 centres in the league.

Two large centres who are great skaters with incredibly soft hands. That will always go top 3 in any draft.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Sundin was a lot bigger than JvR, Sundin was 2 inches and 20+lbs bigger. But yeah I could see the shift being similar.
Different eras though , back when Sundin played in his prime players were bigger and to an extent ,slower . Now in todays NHL players have more "finesse" and the game is faster so you don't need to be well over 230 pounds anymore

According to nhl.com

JVR - 200
Crosby - 200
Malkin -195
Datsyuk - 198
Stamkos - 190
Tavares - 205
Toews - 208
Krejci - 188
Bergeron - 194
M.Richards - 196

There aren't as many big #1C as there used to be.Now JVR just has to hit stride as a C, thats the big concern is if he can do it.
Hopefully he can

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I never knew Mats played Wing.
seriously - if lightening struck twice.... boom.

I remember Mats briefly playing wing here when Gilmour was still with the Leafs (I think it was last season as a Leaf),after Dougie got traded to New Jersey Mats switched over to centre.

bringthecuphome

May 5, 2010
I get giddy at the thought of JVR solving our centre issues forever, but even if it's just for a few games there is zero downside to trying.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Different eras though , back when Sundin played in his prime players were bigger and to an extent ,slower . Now in todays NHL players have more "finesse" and the game is faster so you don't need to be well over 230 pounds anymore

According to nhl.com

JVR - 200
Crosby - 200
Malkin -195
Datsyuk - 198
Stamkos - 190
Tavares - 205
Toews - 208
Krejci - 188
Bergeron - 194
M.Richards - 196

There aren't as many big #1C as there used to be.Now JVR just has to hit stride as a C, thats the big concern is if he can do it.
Hopefully he can
Thornton, Backes, I would say Kopitar>Richards, Getzlaf, Spezza, E/J Staal.
Dont get why you only listed a few, you really missed the main ones...

Alflives*

According to nhl.com

JVR - 200
Crosby - 200
Malkin -195
Datsyuk - 198
Stamkos - 190
Tavares - 205
Toews - 208
Krejci - 188
Bergeron - 194
M.Richards - 196

Hopefully he can

No way is Malkin only 195 lbs.

Run705

#705collection
Mar 2, 2011
Ontario
the705collection.com
No way is Malkin only 195 lbs.

ku-medium.jpg

Looks 190 lbs at best.

mikebel111*

hypothetically speaking, IF the leafs acquire a center (like Couturier or Stastny) AND Bolland recovers from his injury what happens to Kadri/Bozak ?

Would Kadri shift to the wing?

I would rather bozak switch to wing. kadri to wing would be a stupid idea IMO

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol JVR is at least 210 and Kules is slightly thicker like 215. Just look at their bodies even in equipment they are both over 210.

That's a pf size. Being hit or trying to out muscle 210-225 is not pretty.

Source: being 185 with brother well trained 225 etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad