Post-Game Talk: Leafs 1:0 Oilers. Who needs Kris Russell when you have McElhinney?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Last season we played our best hockey over the last few months of the season and in the playoffs. So I'll look at the team today as a work in progress and hope that the best is yet to come.

Agreed. We still haven't seen this team play like we know they can.

Although what I find interesting is change we've seen since October. It's not like this play style has been lingering, it's only been a recent issue. The Leafs are now starting the games on time but have eased up in the third, which is the opposite at the start of the season. And the goaltending has made a 180. They're still scoring goals but the kids have been quiet lately overall.

I don't think Babcock is happy about the team not pushing the pace as well as they could but they're winning right now so it's hard to get super PO'd about it. They need to work on clogging up the neutral zone like Babcock team's can do so that it limits the opposition from gaining speed as they break onto the attack.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed. We still haven't seen this team play like we know they can.

Although what I find interesting is change we've seen since October. It's not like this play style has been lingering, it's only been a recent issue.
The Leafs are now starting the games on time but have eased up in the third, which is the opposite at the start of the season. And the goaltending has made a 180. They're still scoring goals but the kids have been quiet lately overall.

I don't think Babcock is happy about the team not pushing the pace as well as they could but they're winning right now so it's hard to get super PO'd about it. They need to work on clogging up the neutral zone like Babcock team's can do so that it limits the opposition from gaining speed as they break onto the attack.

Yeah, this is a recent issue as you say so I'm not too worried. I believe we're 6th overall ATM so things are pretty good.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Man we have good depth. One of the highest scoring teams in the league, and we don't have anyone overproducing at an unrealistic pace.

I feel like if our goaltending slows down a bit in the future, our kids will pop in more goals and we'll keep chugging along. Love this team.

Reactions: Pi

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
So I’m a pretty big “believer” in advanced stats, I have a degree is Math and Statistics, and I currently work as an actuary and work with statistics my entire work day, and I’m starting to really believe that the leafs own analytics department probably has their own, much better analytics models than those that are available to us. There’s a method to their madness. Even though we get outshot, we really try our hardest to get to the slot and in front of the net. Our entire cycle game revolves around getting the puck to the slot either for a deflection or a shot. I really think they have some solid data to back up that being the best way to win

Moneyball meet moneypuck

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Mcellenney moved really well on the ice and was really in the game tonight. He decided to win tonight. Big props. :clap:

Kadri's line played well too, they defended awwsome. Komarov's pk skill was pure and so was hyman's. Mclenneny was the big story though. Showed mental toughess at its best.

Your new translator app is working like a charm!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Oh my god what an embarrassing post, the one thing it has going for it is that it is consistent; consistently trash.

So lets take a walk down hfboard history lane.

Me: hyman is a really weak grinder and I see him getting out muscled all the time.

You: You may be losing your eyesight. Or your mind.

So at this point, you start questioning my visual projection areas in my brain, (which, biologically, is the wrong question to pose. If you knew anything about biology you would know that the problem you were referencing was an association problem not a projection problem) Then you ever so diligently state that I may have also lost my mental capacity. So clearly you don't know what the hell you are talking about, so I gave you the benefit of the doubt saying that I was in fact intelligent and also quite versed in hockey knowledge.

Now, hopefully you see the irony written on the wall. After confusing rudimentary biology and failing to see that I was being generous and not scolding you for getting that wrong you take a jab and say "you must be the first smart person ever to confuse sanity and intelligence" LOL
Dude you are a total clown. Just stop.

Then aside from all that stuff that you never had a chance on anyways, then you fail to acknowledge that the argument A) hyman is weak SUPPORTS B) Hyman is not the best puck retriever in the league.

So not only do you A) Not have a clue about what you are talking about biologically
B) Understand the definition of mental capacity
C) not understand the definition of "not mutually exclusive"
D) understand simple logic

you also laugh at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amazing. Way to HF buddy.

Thats all aside from the fact that you're wrong about hyman also. Dude falls on his ass more than anyone, doesn't win 50/50 battles or make space at a high level, hes garbage at clearing pucks and transitioning. Hes not even top 4 in hits on the team either. How about before you choose to pick a fight next time, you actually do your homework instead of just homer spewing from the heart.

Well, that clears it up: it's probably not your eyesight.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Should note that these historical accomplishments should be put into context - winning games is easier now than it used to be. We have won some games where we were tied after 60 minutes of regulation, those used to go in the books as ties.

As much as I love watching 3 on hockey, it's still a bad way to decide games IMO. Not as idiotic as shootouts but bad nevertheless.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Great game, aside from the star gazing by the ref's, someone should tell them even McJesus can take penalties. Thought the game was poorly called. Marner knocking Nurse off his skates, c'mon , Marner couldn't do that if he hit Nurse with a truck.

McBackup played great, the guys been sitting for a long time, comes in a back to back, his team scores one goal and the team gets 2 points. You can't ask for any more from this guy.

The coaching staff did great keeping the team focused.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Wonder how effective mcdavid would be as nhl player if you took some of his speed away.

or if the refs didn't have man crushes on him and got so many free passes. Oh Conner cheat all you wanton the FO... oh that cross check it was only on Kadri, cross check away.. I guess that ref was angling to get invited to one of Conners charity golf tournies in the summer.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
or if the refs didn't have man crushes on him and got so many free passes. Oh Conner cheat all you wanton the FO... oh that cross check it was only on Kadri, cross check away.. I guess that ref was angling to get invited to one of Conners charity golf tournies in the summer.

Stars should get the breaks. I wouldn't complain because I want Matthews to get the same treatment from the (blind) zebras.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Stars should get the breaks. I wouldn't complain because I want Matthews to get the same treatment from the (blind) zebras.

Thing is Matthews does not get the "star" breaks.He'shacked slashed and hooked more than anyone on the Leafs and because he is a big body guy refs think he can handle it.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Thing is Matthews does not get the "star" breaks.He'shacked slashed and hooked more than anyone on the Leafs and because he is a big body guy refs think he can handle it.

Hoping it will come in time for Matthews. He didn't enter the league with as much hype as McDavid.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
LOL; did you even hear babcock in his presser?

bozak is a defensive juggernaut as trump would put it ---->>> "FAKE NEWS"

The defensive juggernaut was tasked of playing against RNH and got hemmed in his zone more often that not; while Willy played against Draisaitl line.

can't wait until bozak is gone; I am literally getting sick of bozak lovers on this board

Quick goal lifts Leafs past Oilers - Article - TSN

Going up against Ryan Nugent-Hopkins’ line, Bozak’s group had trouble matching their speed and getting out of their zone. Marner was called twice for tripping, both the result of falling behind the play.

None of the 3 are good defensively. Marner this year has had his defensive game exposed.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
All he's saying is that we give up too many shots per game as per Carlyle. Anaheim is worst in the league, the Leafs are 2nd or 3rd worst in that category. Our goalies are thriving on it cause a lot of the shots are from long range but many are high quality chances. We need to control the zone better.

Missed the game ... just watched the McDavid highlights on TSN.

Wow, if the Leafs played the Oilers even, as some are suggesting based on some stats, I'd like to see the highlight reel from Brossoit. Oilers were concerned about losing their starter but Brossoit must be making him irrelevant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad