Leaf MVP is Frederick. What say you

Danish

Dec 28, 2016
Bruins, bolts, islanders have all received better goaltending than the leafs, and the jets and preds right there too.

if Freddy is the leafs MVP, then there's a whole bunch of other goalies who are their team's MVP too.
Ohhh just shutUp 4 ons zeke. Your opinion about Freddyis well known.

Danish

Dec 28, 2016
I'm now guessing it's because you need attention, sorry I played the game. Have yourself a good day, no need to respond.[/QUOTE.
I'm now guessing it's because you need attention, sorry I played the game. Have yourself a good day, no need to respond.
Sorry about the Hard Words, but grow a pair!.no need to respond!

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Freddy - Vasi.PNG

I have no idea of Freddy is MVP or not - and I really dont care. I care about the Vezina though.
Vasi seem to have the edge at the moment - but looking at expected goals between the two of them, it might be a closer race than some people think
Freddy is actually saving more goals per game than Vasi. But it is close.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Freddy has been good but without Rielly that defense is a tire fire. I’d still give it to Freddy but Rielly isnt as far away as most think

This.

Andersen/Rielly --> forward --> forward

FYP.

If any forward goes down, we still have one of the best forward groups in the league. Without Rielly though, we're toast.

I also think putting Tavares as our MVP forward is debatable. Debatable is better than clearly wrong though so whatever. :)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
No replacement for Fred makes him important...I know that everyone shytes on the D but the goals against are not bad. I don't credit Fred with providing that stat all by himself. Morgan and Hainsey are top +/- pairing in the league...gotta be some credit there.

Also, I would really not like to see this team without Marner...there are other weapons,but without Mitch those other weapons would be getting a lot more attention.Not to mention if he had someone else to convert his passes besides JT,he would likely lead the league in assists. But it's all good cause now he can be paid less.

For all the grief a certain defender gets in Hogtown, you would think leading the league in +/- would mean something. As flawed as the stat is, if you can be on the ice for 36 more goals for than against, that kinda tells you something about that player.

Reactions: hector morrison

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Any player could go down and the Leafs still have a chance.

Freddy goes and we are done done done.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We can win without Mathews as we seen so that eliminates him.

Can we win without Freddy well when he misses a handful of starts we had a losing record.

Morgan and Marner have had great seasons but Without Freddy we would struggle to be a playoff team.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We can win without Mathews as we seen so that eliminates him.

Can we win without Freddy well when he misses a handful of starts we had a losing record.

Morgan and Marner have had great seasons but Without Freddy we would struggle to be a playoff team.

Reactions: Leafidelity

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would say this is the case. The guy is this team most nights.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The Great Dane is the backbone of the team. Cool steady Freddy. At .923 highest career save percentage. $5 Million cap hit for next 2 years! Take him out of the lineup and Leafs would struggle to be a wildcard team. Can’t say that about any other Leaf.
Really like 25 teams would be screwed without their starting goaltender, but yes he has been excellent this year.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Bruins, bolts, islanders have all received better goaltending than the leafs, and the jets and preds right there too.

if Freddy is the leafs MVP, then there's a whole bunch of other goalies who are their team's MVP too.
That's not usually how MVP works

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
MVP of other Teams is irrelevant when discussing the Leafs MVP.

If the goalie is the MVP for 90% of the teams in the league, then maybe none of them are actually their team MVPs.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
If the goalie is the MVP for 90% of the teams in the league, then maybe none of them are actually their team MVPs.
Just because another team has had better goaltending, it doesn't make their goalie their MVP. You think Tampa's MVP sin't Kucherov because their goalie has played better than ours?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Just because another team has had better goaltending, it doesn't make their goalie their MVP. You think Tampa's MVP sin't Kucherov because their goalie has played better than ours?

why is kucherov their mvp? don't they have a stacked group of forwards, like ours?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
MVP of other Teams are irrelevant when discussing the Leafs MVP.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Let's look at it mathematically:

Andersen is worth 27 goals above replacement level*. To match that, any skater would need to be worth 27 goals more than the cascading replacement effect. Marner gets replaced by Nylander who gets replaced by Kapanen who gets replaced by Brown who gets replaced by Ennis. You get it. Next step to consider is that the player getting a point isn't the sole creator of the goal. If you go be average, that means there's 2.67 points per goal, meaning that to match Andersen, Marner needs to produce 72 more points than the replacements to match the amount of goals created from Andersen.

You can also separate the goals assists, which lowers the number a bit. You also have to look at defensive effect, which might change things. There's also Marner's cascading effect, boosting the value of his linemates and pushing good players into easier usage. But any way you slice it, won't come close.

To corroborate that by looking at Evolving Hockey's Goals Above Replacement model for this season, Rielly tops our skaters with 17.5 extra goal differential compared to replacement level. Andersen had 38* by his model, by far the best of any goalie.

He's our MVP and it's not close.

* These are two different models.

Spot on. You can't just look at how important the player is. You have to compare it to what the replacement would be. Most goalies are pretty interchangeable.

That's not the case for Andersen though.

Edit: Sorry about the state of this post before editing. I really need to stop thinking too fast for my writing, and to post before reading it a second time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad