Leaf MVP is Frederick. What say you

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
perspective can be relevant, irrelevant perspective is irrelevant.

Only thing that is relevant is the opinion on the 2018/2019 Leafs.
If some idiot felt Toskala was an myp at one time, why project that on those here today?

it wasn't some idiot.

it was a large portion of the media and this board claiming "Leafs would be screwed if it weren't for Toskala!".

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
as an aside, the title is a refreshing change of pace from people misspelling his last name. I think people should get our players' names right, especially our better ones though

Reactions: MattySnipes

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
hmm.

evolving-hockey GSAA

1.Vasilevsky 30.25
2.Andersen 23.54
3.Bishop 21.86
4.Lehner 19.40
5.Greiss 17.47

And Andy has needed many many more minutes than those others to accumulate that many GSAA.

Lets look at xGA/60 instead
Freddie save .35 goals per 60 better than expected.
Vasi save .30 goals per 60 better than expected.

Evolving-hockey.com

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Not really. I have absolutely no idea how you could even argue for anyone else than Lehner on that list.

I also have no idea how you can list a backup and then accuse others of being ridiculous.

Well, if you can understand why Lehner is on that list than you should have no issue with Halak on that list.
I guess you don’t watch other teams play.
That’s okay.

I should add Greiss as well.

My apologies for not having Tommy G on the list.

There feel better.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Lets look at xGA/60 instead
Freddie save .35 goals per 60 better than expected.
Vasi save .30 goals per 60 better than expected.

Evolving-hockey.com
Actually, made a small mistake. Evolving-hockey.com has two GA columns, and I used the wrong one in my calculations

I will post the correct one in a bit

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Reimer had a legit claim to being the leafs MVP for one season.

" if Reimer is the leafs MVP, then there was a whole bunch of other goalies who were their team's MVP too.":sarcasm:

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Actually, made a small mistake. Evolving-hockey.com has two GA columns, and I used the wrong one in my calculations

I will post the correct one in a bit

Vezina contenders.PNG

I am using European excel - sorry about the , instead of .

As you can see Vasi is the worst of the five listed goalies on the list. Freddie is 4th and Gibson is in the lead saving whopping 0.47 goals better than expected per 60! When you take work load into consideration, I think Gibson should be the clear Vezina favourite right now. He is playing on a garbage team though and will probably not win.

Lehner and Halak has played significant less minutes than the other three on the list so my Vezina top 3 would be Gibson, Freddy, Vasi - in that order.

When you have a top 3 Vezina candidate you should consider him as team MVP in my opinion.

Using GA60-xGA60 (the dif column) should be better metric than GSAA

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
it wasn't some idiot.

it was a large portion of the media and this board claiming "Leafs would be screwed if it weren't for Toskala!".
and your belief is that these same people are making these same claims today?
I still don't see how one thing equates to the other.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
Reimer had a legit claim to being the leafs MVP for one season.
What ever happened to Reimer anyways? How do you explain him falling off a cliff like that if you really believed he was as good as you said he was?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well, if you can understand why Lehner is on that list than you should have no issue with Halak on that list.
I guess you don’t watch other teams play.
That’s okay.

I should add Greiss as well.

My apologies for not having Tommy G on the list.

There feel better.
You still haven't been able to produce one single argument for your case.

I watch around 200 games per season by the way.

What ever happened to Reimer anyways? How do you explain him falling off a cliff like that if you really believed he was as good as you said he was?
It's not really that weird. Most goalies decline earlier than people think.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Freddy plays when Freddy needs action to stay on his game. If Freddy needs a rest then give him a rest. At this stage it is SOLELY about managing Freddy for the Bruins match-up. He saw how things went last year so he will be ready for that insanity in Beantown. Babs needs to stay completely out of the way here and let Freddy and our goalie coach work everything out rest of way.

Folks like it or not winning or losing against Boston will be decided by Freddy's play. So let's get on the Freddy chu chu train baby. And ride it to Tampa.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Isn't GSAA basically that times ice time, and used with league average as a baseline? At least nowadays, I know a few years ago the GSAA-models didn't account for shot quality.

Goals Saved Above Average

You are exactly right.
xGA60-GA60 is a much better metric.
Freddy is elite. No doubt about that. I dont think he is the best (Gibson) but he is up there.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Isn't GSAA basically that times ice time, and used with league average as a baseline? At least nowadays, I know a few years ago the GSAA-models didn't account for shot quality.

GSAx (xga-ga)

1.Gibson 21.78 (2627.87min)
2.Andersen 16.48 (2854.15min)
3.Lehner 15.37 (2164.6min)
4.Greiss 14.80 (1803.35min)
5.Vaslevsky 12.63 (2545.47mi)

dFsv% (min 1500min)

1.Greiss 1.16
2.McElhinney 1.10
3.Gibson 1.04
4.Lehner 1.03
5.Halak 0.82
6.Bishop 0.80
7.Andersen 0.73
8.Vasilevsky 0.69
9.Rask 0.46
10.Khudobin 0.43

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Any player could go down and the Leafs still have a chance.

Freddy goes and we are done done done.

I was thinking along those same lines about how important Andy is, how a lot of Leaf fans were losing their minds when we lost Andy, he was noticeably missed but now that Kadri, Gardiner, Dermott are gone, you don't hear anywhere near as many people saying, we are in trouble have to get one of them back.

Which tells me 2 things, Andy is a critical part of our team and Kadri, Jake and Dermott are not. Kadri, Jake and Dermott are all good players but not critical core pieces. When you are not a critical core piece making good money like Kadri and Jake are, on a team that will have a cap crunch next season, that IMO makes you expendable.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I was thinking along those same lines about how important Andy is, how a lot of Leaf fans were losing their minds when we lost Andy, he was noticeably missed but now that Kadri, Gardiner, Dermott are gone, you don't hear anywhere near as many people saying, we are in trouble have to get one of them back.

Which tells me 2 things, Andy is a critical part of our team and Kadri, Jake and Dermott are not. Kadri, Jake and Dermott are all good players but not critical core pieces. When you are not a critical core piece making good money like Kadri and Jake are, on a team that will have a cap crunch next season, that IMO makes you expendable.
Kadri is critically needed for his toughness and drawing penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad