Tribute Leaf Great Borje Salming diagnosed with Lou Gehrig' disease

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
So very sad, Borje was and is a legend. Sittler crying brought tears to my eyes too. Hard to see your heroes get sick. especially with that brutal disease. He'll get an even bigger ovation tomorrow night as he should. If you were a kid and a Leaf fan in the 70's, 21 Salming has always been part of your life.

You are so very correct!

The two best defensemen for the Leafs in my lifetime: Borje Salming and Tim Horton. One had 4 rings, the other none, but I'd be hard pressed to say one was better than the other. Perhaps his greatest legacy is that Salming ushered in the changing world of hockey. He was the first 'star' player to cross over to the NHL. He did it against the chauvinism of the time, he stood tall against the derogatory comments, the intentional viciousness, the desires to see him fail, and he did it by displaying: courage, skill, and a commitment to a team that had the worst ownership in the league.

We were lucky to have him wear our crest. Thanks Borje, you're the King.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
You are so very correct!

The two best defensemen for the Leafs in my lifetime: Borje Salming and Tim Horton. One had 4 rings, the other none, but I'd be hard pressed to say one was better than the other. Perhaps his greatest legacy is that Salming ushered in the changing world of hockey. He was the first 'star' player to cross over to the NHL. He did it against the chauvinism of the time, he stood tall against the derogatory comments, the intentional viciousness, the desires to see him fail, and he did it by displaying: courage, skill, and a commitment to a team that had the worst ownership in the league.

Well said.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So very sad, Borje was and is a legend. Sittler crying brought tears to my eyes too. Hard to see your heroes get sick. especially with that brutal disease. He'll get an even bigger ovation tomorrow night as he should. If you were a kid and a Leaf fan in the 70's, 21 Salming has always been part of your life.
+1

Reactions: Al14 and The Nic

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
[Tweet]

I'm so sad right now. So many memories. Met him a few times including heading to Maple Leaf Gardens during training camp every September in the 70s. Waiting outside to get autographs.

On a side note Who remembers writing letters to Leaf players and they'd reply with a letter and autographed picture?

Very moving. Salming was a great player and a class act.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I like how the Leafs hijacked the ceremony to be about Borje Salming instead of the people actually going into the Hall of Fame

Yeah, all those people who took an extra moment with him walking down the line - especially Sedin and Alfredsson - seemed really bent out of shape about it...

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There's something planned for Borje before tomorrow's game vs the Canucks - if you have tickets, don't be f***ing late. You owe him that.
If you have tickets you should never be late regardless of a ceremony.

Reactions: Tak7

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I remember growing up in saskatoon watching hockey night in Canada in the goon era of hockey and how Salming could not be intimidated even though he wasn’t a fighter. He was way tougher than the fighters because he was fearless in an brutal era and he got dropped in the boiling pot as a kid from Sweeden. I loved that about him and he was also an amazing hockey player. I had no idea he had ALS and have no trouble admitting I joined Sittler by breaking down last night watching this on sports centre.

This is so sad. Salming will always be a true legend in my mind.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I like how the Leafs hijacked the ceremony to be about Borje Salming instead of the people actually going into the Hall of Fame
What a horribly insensitive thing to say! I can't even believe that I read this lol. Hockey players are still people, they go through horrible things just like the rest of us. There is a brotherhood in the hockey community that lasts a lifetime. I thought that it showcased the beauty of the human spirit tbh. Seeing Mr. Sittler cry and lift the arm of his brother in the air was a tear-jerker for me. It was absolutely fitting to have him there and to have Leaf fans give him such an emotional heartfelt ovation, it was a beautiful thing to watch.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I’m surprised this isn’t getting more attention on the mains. It’s a hockey story, full stop.

Had to pop in to say I watched the game and pregame ceremony live yesterday. It was uplifting and sad all at the same time. I think I had more tears than Darryl. As a teen I remember watching 21 on TV all the time. Truly one of the best. I’m glad that TML chose to bring him in for this high profile event. He is THE HOFer that established a path for future stars like the inductees standing on the ice with him. So appropriate.

I’m glad Borje got to feel the love of hockey fans again yesterday and that his family were also there to see what he meant to teammates and fans.

f*** ALS

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Watching Borje in the pre-game was heartbreaking to see the once great "the king" Salming being overcome by ALS.

Seeing Sittler in tears beside his pal really got to me that I had to take a pause from the game on PVR and get back to it later on.

1668268103320.png

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What a horribly insensitive thing to say! I can't even believe that I read this lol. Hockey players are still people, they go through horrible things just like the rest of us. There is a brotherhood in the hockey community that lasts a lifetime. I thought that it showcased the beauty of the human spirit tbh. Seeing Mr. Sittler cry and lift the arm of his brother in the air was a tear-jerker for me. It was absolutely fitting to have him there and to have Leaf fans give him such an emotional heartfelt ovation, it was a beautiful thing to watch.
Amen to that, :thumbu:. It really was a brain dead post by the OP.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
If you have tickets you should never be late regardless of a ceremony.
I'm always there for warm-ups, and I go to several games a year

Baffles me how many people miss puck drop, despite only going to a game or 2 a year. Or the ones that wallow in with kids

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Very emotional, I have a huge amount of respect for Salming, Toronto Maple Leafs and the fans, hopefully you guys win the Cup soon. I am not very loyal in the NHL, I am following my favorit Swedes. ;-)

For a very long time Salming didn't seem to age, looking like a man among boys, built like f*****g rock but this desease is truly devastating. :-(

VYCph75.jpg

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dougie, Salming and Horton my 3 fav Leafs all time that I saw ever .. guys all 3 with their hearts blue and white all nite .. threw their everything into team every single nite .. it is gonna be rough again for me tonite

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
You are so very correct!

Agree.

My dad was a dyed in the wool Leafs fan, and suffered through the Ballard years with a quiet stoicism punctuated by bouts of curses and sheer rage at games we were forced to attend on his shared STH and nearly always lost.

Salming was one of the few bright spots of that era -- a remarkably graceful and brilliant player who helped to expand notions of how a great defender could play and rarely if ever turned in a poor game. He was one of the rare Leafs you wanted to be in street hockey games of my older brother's childhood and even into mine, and the first Leafs jersey we ever owned and were not ashamed to actually wear.

His play was eloquent as his analysis. A great, great player, who made it new, over and over again.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Man, that tribute was beautiful to watch last night and gut wrenching at the same time. When I saw Sittler so emotional standing beside Salming, I started tearing up big time.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad