Leaf Fans need to be better...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
My biggest fear is the Leafs are built for the regular season and to entertain, and not equipped for the post season when everything changes.
How much stock do you put into those comments from Nick Foligno when he said the Leaf hate playing around their goal, because it was enough for Kelly Hrudey to also mention it and say they won't win in the playoffs because of that.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
How much stock do you put into those comments from Nick Foligno when he said the Leaf hate playing around their goal, because it was enough for Kelly Hrudey to also mention it and say they won't win in the playoffs because of that.
They came within a period of winning a series against a very good Bruins team. This idea that the Leafs are a playoff pushover is nonsense

Reactions: zeke and AreBe

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
My biggest fear is the Leafs are built for the regular season and to entertain, and not equipped for the post season when everything changes.
Deep down, many of us feel that way and hope some players can develop to learn how to play that way. Short of Kappy, JT, Hyman and Dermott, we don't have players willing to dig the puck out of the mud.
If Gauthier was smart, he would learn to play that way for his own longevity. He could guarantee a longer term spot due to a glaring weakness there

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I think I is related to puck transition. At this point, I wish they would call up Sandin (and let him play on the right side). At least he showed some promise in the pre-season and IMO would be a slight upgrade to Zaits and Oz

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They came within a period of winning a series against a very good Bruins team. This idea that the Leafs are a playoff pushover is nonsense
I guess one negative comment about their play is what the media likes to focus on. Although if they were not losing 4-0 after the 2nd period I doubt it's something Hrudey even mentions.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think I is related to puck transition. At this point, I wish they would call up Sandin (and let him play on the right side). At least he showed some promise in the pre-season and IMO would be a slight upgrade to Zaits and Oz
How much stock do you put into a few good pre-season games from Sandin and translating into regular season success?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

I agree. And let's not forget, virtually every Leaf core player was terrible, Kadri got suspended, they had THE worst goaltending of the 16 playoff teams and lost in the 3rd period of game 7.

ALL of that will repeat+Tavares will no a big no show?

It will be VERY tough to beat the Leafs with their 3 centres.

Reactions: 7even

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
How much stock do you put into a few good pre-season games from Sandin and translating into regular season success?
Sandin has been playing well in the AHL. He did well playing NHL games in an area that we are very weak in. I am not asking for top line pairing. Only that we begin to solidify areas of profound weaknesses even if it is marginal. Icing the puck in a transition is notably worse than a defensive zone exit.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
This team will not win a playoff round if they don't add some meat and potatoes defencemen who can clear the front of the net area.

We also need a couple of forwards who are willing to push back and protect some of the younger stars on this team.

Plus, a new system to counteract the trap should be implemented for the near future.
We had a lot of short passes when this team first hired Babcock and now its the long bomb or the bank pass deflection.

Going to be an interesting run up to the trade deadline.
Although management could follow the trade policy of Mr. Lou and trade early so that the new players get acclimated to new systems.

Reactions: daddy and Cobra777

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sometimes you lose games on a back to back at the end of the holidays, and if your Vezina goalie is out day to day with an injury and your team played a flawless road game against a contender the night before, maybe they just don't have a lot in the tank.

That doesn't mean there aren't bigger structural issues to correct, but the sky definitely isn't falling. We've all been there. That's when guys in paper bag masks are throwing waffles and Phil Kessel is yelling at the media, defending. Those days are behind us.

Reactions: 7even

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I agree with the OP. Anti Leaf trolls are only so insufferable because so many of the Leaf fans are so insecure. It's a self perpetuating feedback loop.

Reactions: AreBe

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

i agree with it 100% and have said similar in other threads.

Leafs lack size and physicality on the back end and if you disrupt the Leafs breakout you take Leafs offensive forwards out of the game.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Always irks me when players from other teams make critical and patronizing comments about the Leafs, like it's their wheelhouse to make comments. Nick Foligno should focus on captaining his own team, from what I can tell can't finish for shit. Just like Drew Doughty should worry about the LA Kings and their defensive game, not Toronto's.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Always irks me when players from other teams make critical and patronizing comments about the Leafs, like it's their wheelhouse to make comments. Nick Foligno should focus on captaining his own team, from what I can tell can't finish for ****. Just like Drew Doughty should worry about the LA Kings and their defensive game, not Toronto's.
How about Barry Trotz comments about how Tavares left the Islanders players for Toronto, even though Trotz also quit on the Capitals because he wasn't happy with the amount of money he was going to make.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How about Barry Trotz comments about how Tavares left the Islanders players for Toronto, even though Trotz also quit on the Capitals because he wasn't happy with the amount of money he was going to make.

I don't care about Trotz's comments. Clearly just trying to stir a bit of emotion out of the Islanders. But the reality is who wouldn't abandon the Islanders when given the chance?

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
The Leafs will be a playoff pushover if they don't get at least a couple players who play playoff hockey.
Not your pretty, no hit hockey.
Tough, old fashioned hockey.
Think Gary Roberts/Wendel/Scott Stevens/Dave Manson.
Nevermind the fancy stats.
WATCH the Leafs.
Softest team in the league.
Embarrassing.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
The Leafs will be a playoff pushover if they don't get at least a couple players who play playoff hockey.
Not your pretty, no hit hockey.
Tough, old fashioned hockey.
Think Gary Roberts/Wendel/Scott Stevens/Dave Manson.
Nevermind the fancy stats.
WATCH the Leafs.
Softest team in the league.
Embarrassing.
Dinosaur Thug Lifers out of work
Speed kills, and the Leafs are fast
Damn Europeans and that Skill Set! Makes a thug lifer goon look like a jerk
Analytics are what is all about, get out of the past!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Whats wrong with all you guys anyways!!! This team roster is still being built.

We have more than most teams have in terms of growth and expected future growth.

Hrudy and Foligno and all the detractors can go f^<¥ a stump as far as i am concerned.

Awesome team to watch and i love every wart they need to fix and there isn't many!

What a sh!t show reading this board.

Wegone

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Whats wrong with all you guys anyways!!! This team roster is still being built.

We have more than most teams have in terms of growth and expected future growth.

Hrudy and Foligno and all the detractors can go f^<¥ a stump as far as i am concerned.

Awesome team to watch and i love every wart they need to fix and there isn't many!

What a sh!t show reading this board.

Wegone

We are probably a D man and a Marleau replacement away from being a Finalized product.

When 34 29 and 16 had career numbers for a couple years, our rebuild went from 5 years to 3. Signing Tavares moved it to within a year or 2.

We just signed Nylander. We are a player or two away from the complete team.

Even now, we have shown with some Vegas style luck, we can take it to the top teams and might best them in the playoffs.

We should thank Foligno and the like... players who speak truths about our weaknesses - makes Babs and DJ sweat a bit and get to work lol

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
One thing I've learned in the last 24 hours is Trotz system of telling players to play hard and try to win is significantly better than Babcock's system of telling the players to go out, **** the bed and then roll around in it.

Over the last week I found out the only poll Petterson wouldn't win is against an Inanimate Carbon Rod.

this is so bullshit, I'm sorry. But they are playing on a back to back during the holidays with our backup in the net. NYI beat us this time but they would not beat us in 7 games with Andersen in net.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree you are going to win and then lose some - winning or losing is not an issue as obviously you are not going to win every single

My concern would be the lack of effort that was displayed last night against an inferior opponent - we need to correct that (I know it's a long season but there is no reason for a no show)

I think people have to take last nights game with a grain of salt and realize the situation.

1. They've got sparks in net (this probably played a factor in team moral).
2. They are playing a back to back and Columbus is not an easy team to play against. They are fast and their defense is mobile so they were probably tired.
3. It's the holidays, everyone is going to be sluggish and your mind will be elsewhere for sure.
4. It is unrealistic to expect a team to have a sustained 1000% effort level every night, it's not possible and it's unreasonable to expect that

Reactions: AreBe

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
this is so bull****, I'm sorry. But they are playing on a back to back during the holidays with our backup in the net. NYI beat us this time but they would not beat us in 7 games with Andersen in net.

NYI played back to back on the road

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad