Leaf Fans need to be better...

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
I'm conflicted on this...

In many ways, the team is looking spectacular. We're second in the league with a young team and our offense is absolutely ridiculous. We have a centre in contention for rocket richard, a winger in contention for the art ross, a goalie in contention for the vezina, and a defensman in contention for the Norris. It seems you would have to be pretty negative to still complain about the team.

On the other hand...
A cap crunch is very quickly approaching. Nylander was unquestionably overpaid, and it appears Matthews has a birthright to 13 million, regardless of how often he is injured or the total points he puts up. I personally find that very concerning. We lack defensive depth at a borderline embarrassing level, and in many ways can be seen as a "soft" team.
Let's also add that this team hasn't won a playoff round yet. And what's most concerning about that is that this years leafs are usually a no-show on big games. When the opposing team engages in "playoff style hockey", the team crumbles. This is very worrisome. Nhl history is full of teams with elite young talent that never go anywhere in the playoffs. This is a legitimate thing to worry about.

So, again, I'm not sure. I'm cautiously optimistic of the teams future... but I've been so disappointed so often by this team in the past that I'm borderline just expecting it to crumble before my eyes.

I think the Nylander contract was paramount going forward, and the fact that Dubas caved to his demands at the last minute could could trigger a beginning of the end moment for the team.

Man u must be fun at parties

But ya i understand what you are saying. I still feel this and the next two three years would be the prime chance for this team to go deep in the playoffs but Dubas will have to do something extra special to keep the depth intact on this team.

The more i look at the Nylander contract the more i think Dubas really messed up. I know people keep saying "oh it's just 6.9 mil" but it's not what/how the other players will see it. We basically signed our third best rfa for 10.2 mil and that makes signing Marner n Matthews that much more difficult. Luckily for us, even if Willie can get going and earn half the value he is getting for this season, we should be really optimistic about our chances of going deep in the playoffs.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
I agree. We have supreme skill.
Great offence. Great goaltending.
A defence that could be enough to win a cup ( personally think it's
Way too soft ). But. I have followed this team very closely for 55 years. I ADORE the Toronto Maple Leafs and seeing them win the Stanley Cup would be the fulfillment of a life long dream.
I just think they are too soft.
I just want to see the Leafs win the Cup. We are primed to give pure skill to put us over the hump with a mix of skill/character/toughnes coming back.
If we disagree then that's okay.
I prefer an exchange of ideas as opposed to vitriolic cat fights.

Reactions: Leafling and nsleaf

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Man u must be fun at parties

But ya i understand what you are saying. I still feel this and the next two three years would be the prime chance for this team to go deep in the playoffs but Dubas will have to do something extra special to keep the depth intact on this team.

The more i look at the Nylander contract the more i think Dubas really messed up. I know people keep saying "oh it's just 6.9 mil" but it's not what/how the other players will see it. We basically signed our third best rfa for 10.2 mil and that makes signing Marner n Matthews that much more difficult. Luckily for us, even if Willie can get going and earn half the value he is getting for this season, we should be really optimistic about our chances of going deep in the playoffs.

For years we suffered with no skill players on the Leafs and we complained , Now that we have some great skilled players you complain about the money given to them. Make up your minds. I keep saying it's not mine or your money. Skilled players need to be paid, if you can't understand that STOP WATCHING if it bothers you so much! Again it's not your money!!!!!!

I am tired of this nonsense that Nylander was paid too much! He should have got 8 Mill. Quit your whining!

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This is not a knee-jerk reaction to tonight and definitely not directed at all fans because we have some good insights on a nightly basis.

I will also give us some slack for being multiple decades without a Cup but not a lot of slack.

There are 2 Phases to Winning a Cup

Phase 1 - Outpoint Enough Teams to Get Into the Post Season

Wins happen. Losses happen. Streaks happen.

The only thing the regular season is good for is for getting a post season ticket and perhaps home ice advantage.

That's it. How well we play against Florida in December has NO impact on how we would play against Boston in a 7 game series.

Pay attention but watch it with a Jamaican attitude of "No Problem." We have enough skill to outpoint enough teams in the NHL.

Phase 2 - Win 4 Playoff Series

We aren't there yet. We can speculate as to the type of team we want to have when we get there.

But who is streaking positive, who is "gelling", who has "figured it out", whatever team streak we are on.... throw it out the window.

Drop the puck and go for it. You just have to hope we did our team diligence at the trade deadline.

So.... relax.

You stats guys make my head spin! :sarcasm:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
For years we suffered with no skill players on the Leafs and we complained , Now that we have some great skilled players you complain about the money given to them. Make up your minds. I keep saying it's not mine or your money. Skilled players need to be paid, if you can't understand that STOP WATCHING if it bothers you so much! Again it's not your money!!!!!!

I am tired of this nonsense that Nylander was paid too much! He should have got 8 Mill. Quit your whining!

If you overpay your young skilled players, you won’t be able to keep them all due to the cap.

I’m dumbfounded that that needed to be explained to you.

Reactions: Leafling

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
If you overpay your young skilled players, you won’t be able to keep them all due to the cap.

No explanation needed plenty of guys coming off the books I'm dumb founded that this needed to be explained to you.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I'm conflicted on this...

In many ways, the team is looking spectacular. We're second in the league with a young team and our offense is absolutely ridiculous. We have a centre in contention for rocket richard, a winger in contention for the art ross, a goalie in contention for the vezina, and a defensman in contention for the Norris. It seems you would have to be pretty negative to still complain about the team.

On the other hand...
A cap crunch is very quickly approaching. Nylander was unquestionably overpaid, and it appears Matthews has a birthright to 13 million, regardless of how often he is injured or the total points he puts up. I personally find that very concerning. We lack defensive depth at a borderline embarrassing level, and in many ways can be seen as a "soft" team.
Let's also add that this team hasn't won a playoff round yet. And what's most concerning about that is that this years leafs are usually a no-show on big games. When the opposing team engages in "playoff style hockey", the team crumbles. This is very worrisome. Nhl history is full of teams with elite young talent that never go anywhere in the playoffs. This is a legitimate thing to worry about.

So, again, I'm not sure. I'm cautiously optimistic of the teams future... but I've been so disappointed so often by this team in the past that I'm borderline just expecting it to crumble before my eyes.

I think the Nylander contract was paramount going forward, and the fact that Dubas caved to his demands at the last minute could could trigger a beginning of the end moment for the team.

This is fair, and hard to argue against.

We are in a good situation, but most of us know from history that a skilled team like this can only find regular season success.

I think we'll see what TOR is made of around March. The trade deadline will pass and the heavier game (not face punching) starts to show itself from all the contending teams.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Someone should feed Foligno a hockey stick when we play them next and see how he likes that. Parroting his coach is laughable.

The main board comments: why go there and expect anything but stupidity. I will go there next when we win the cup and post trolling posts and laugh at the replies, but until then I will stay away as I have for a long time.

On here we should not tolerate non Leaf fans posting on our forum. Trolls belong on their own forums.

Who will “feed him the stick”? I’d love to see it, but I’m not sure who would do the deed!

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015

Lol what happened to you ... Try breathing

I love this team and i want it to be able to compete and play the best possible hockey every game. That means I have the right to worry (honestly just comment) about the way we structure our contracts. If that bugs u then screw u lol, i could care less.
I don't need anyone's permission to support my team.

Reactions: FraumBallard

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I'm going to try to be better in 2019. I try to watch every minute of every game but life gets in the way. I think I missed about 40-50 minutes total so far this year. Not acceptable. Sometimes I watched delayed because of commitments. Again no excuses. I also haven't always worn one of my jerseys or my Leaf socks for every game.

Rest assured I can be better and I will be better. It starts Thursday. This fan is going to stand up and be counted. What are you going to do?

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
You seem upset that someone sees things differently than you.
Don't be.
Embrace it.
It's called diversity of thought and is miles better than safe spaces/micro-aggressions/therapy ponies and play dough.
Relax.
Everyone gets a say.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I had a spirited debate about this subject with my brothers over the weekend. This year could very well be our best shot because of the pending cap crunch, despite the fact that our core is young and we have yet to win a playoff round with this group.

We have to face facts. It's a sobering thought, but this group will not (cannot) be kept together long term. We will be losing Gardiner (unless he takes a serious hometown discount) and Hainsey from the blueline after this season, and will be relying heavily on prospects/cheap veterans to fill the void next season. Kapanen and Johnsson are due for substantial raises, and there is a good chance we will have to part with one of them since Dubas promised Nylander he wouldn't be traded (I would much rather keep Kapanen over Nylander but Dubas has backed himself into a corner and now his credibility is at stake).

We have cap space to spare this season, so might as well go for broke before the trade deadline if we can acquire veteran help on expiring contracts. It's only going to get more difficult after this season, especially with the current playoff format and the division we're in.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You seem upset that someone sees things differently than you.
Don't be.
Embrace it.
It's called diversity of thought and is miles better than safe spaces/micro-aggressions/therapy ponies and play dough.
Relax.
Everyone gets a say.

Are you sure about the Ponies?

giphy.gif

Reactions: FraumBallard

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013

You keep all your skill players!
You have fat - cats and the rest are chopped liver that can sit at the end of the bench and stew.
Dinosaurs here dreaming of a good Canadian kid with penalty box sitting skills and talent naysayers
The game has changed to speed and skill and analytics, and not trying to impose the Philly Flu'!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->