Confirmed with Link: Leadership group to be announced this Thursday. No captain.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Pathetic IMO. Used Chabot in the media when they obviously had no intention of going anywhere else but Tkachuk, evidenced by not even having Tkachuk signed and not giving out the C to the other guy who is signed long term :laugh:
The only way Chabot is named Captain is if Brady is trade. The core players gravitate to Brady, you can tell in their post game comments. He will be the Captain once he signs regardless of term.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Media speculation vs the one time EM mentioned it in an interview while saying both Brady and Chabot’s name. The actual direct quote has been posted numerous times recently and it was pretty damn innocuous, and happened well before any sort of negotiations ever opened.

Some media has run with this and dragged some of you along with them. The team has not ever mentioned this in terms of the negotiation with Brady as far as I remember.

Though, those of you who insist that all BG does is pass on direct information from management will of course be caught in this loop.

Instead, it is fairly obvious based on what players and coaches say about Brady that he is the de facto captain of the team. They are probably waiting until he signs something before making it official because if he’s the captain, he’s the captain.

I suspect that Brady will get the C no matter how long his contract is.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
tumblr_oamwtcM2lu1vuwe0qo4_400.gifv

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The only way Chabot is named Captain is if Brady is trade. The core players gravitate to Brady, you can tell in their post game comments. He will be the Captain once he signs regardless of term.
Absolutely, I’ve said that will and should happen all year.

What is stupid, is writing things like:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ottawas...wcm/35ae05f5-8b4c-4f14-9d56-b701e09fe882/amp/
GARRIOCH: Matthew Tkachuk fans the flames off the ice as the Ottawa Senators work on signing Brady | Ottawa Sun

“If Tkachuk signs a long-term deal then he’ll be installed as the club’s next captain. Owner Eugene Melnyk, Dorion, assistant GM Peter MacTavish, coach D.J. Smith and Pierre McGuire, the club’s VP of player development, all understand that Tkachuk is the kind of player that will lead this team into battle and does so by example.”

Just say when Tkachuk is signed he will be made captain, him signing long term has nothing to do with anything, other than trying to use it as leverage to get him to sign, which it absolutely was.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Question for you.

If the intent is to allow the player's to vote for their next captain, do you think they'd hold off or do it prior to Tkachuk signing?

I think the team poisoned the well by even mentioning the word captain in relation to Tkachuk and a long term deal, but had they never uttered anything, this situation might be seen as normal/reasonable given the circumstances

Isn't that typical of EM & PD putting one foot in their mouth as they remove the other foot. I doubt the players pick their captain, but even if they did most of the guys in that room know who their captain is with or without a C on their sweather.

I'm 100 percent sure it bothers Chabot. They are basically saying he's not their favorite child despite him helping/caring more than the entitled, spoiled sibling.

This is a business & they want their most marketabe asset to be captain, it's about selling tickets. IMO Chabot will probably still do the majority of the French interviews & will get most of the French advertsing for the team while Tkachuk takes on most of the English. IMO it's probably a relief not to be captain & all the extra media & PR work captains have to do to constantly promote the team. The guys in the room know who their is captain.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ottawas...wcm/35ae05f5-8b4c-4f14-9d56-b701e09fe882/amp/
GARRIOCH: Matthew Tkachuk fans the flames off the ice as the Ottawa Senators work on signing Brady | Ottawa Sun

“If Tkachuk signs a long-term deal then he’ll be installed as the club’s next captain. Owner Eugene Melnyk, Dorion, assistant GM Peter MacTavish, coach D.J. Smith and Pierre McGuire, the club’s VP of player development, all understand that Tkachuk is the kind of player that will lead this team into battle and does so by example.”

Just say when Tkachuk is signed he will be made captain, him signing long term has nothing to do with anything, other than trying to use it as leverage to get him to sign.
That’s Garrioch for you. The insider who had no idea Batherson deal was coming. This tweet contains his article from the day before Batherson signed. All the info is from Mark Master’s speaking with Drake.

Garrioch is not the Org’s mouthpiece he is just someone who says things so the org won’t blackball him.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Just say when Tkachuk is signed he will be made captain, him signing long term has nothing to do with anything, other than trying to use it as leverage to get him to sign, which it absolutely was.

Again, not from the organization.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
That's so stupid, forget Brady, just give it to Chabot.
As skilled as Chabot is, he is showing less and less interest in playing the defensive side of his position. Not sure the org has much of an appetite for yet another captain who is just looking to put up points and not do the dirty work to help his team win games.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We can circle around everything all we want but as long as Eugene Melnyk will be the owner, things will be messed up and this team won't be able to reach its full potential

I'm pretty sure the current contract dispute is over signing bonuses (as usual?) and Melnyk won't budge, doesn't want to give any. Look at Barkov recent contract 72/80 in signing bonuses... that's why it gone done without any problem

Tell me your offseason was a complete failure without telling me your offseason was a complete failure.

The question I'd have is which was the worse off-season? This year or last year?

Because ~43% of posters voted average or better last season (ok a few guys were trolling) :

Salary Cap: - Grade Last off-season moves

I mean... we have some pretty low standards now :laugh:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
There has been ample opportunity to name Chabot captain if the organization felt he was the best candidate. But they don't.

Unless Melnyk steps in to prevent it, Tkachuk will get the C even on a bridge deal.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
We can circle around everything all we want but as long as Eugene Melnyk will be the owner, things will be messed up and this team won't be able to reach its full potential

I'm pretty sure the current contract dispute is over signing bonuses (as usual?) and Melnyk won't budge, doesn't want to give any. Look at Barkov recent contract 72/80 in signing bonuses... that's why it gone done without any problem

The question I'd have is which was the worse off-season? This year or last year?

Because ~43% of posters voted average or better last season (ok a few guys were trolling) :

I was asking myself this same question earlier, and I think this one is worse, as implausible as it may seem lol.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Last year was worse let’s be real. They assembled the worst defence anyone had ever seen.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
As skilled as Chabot is, he is showing less and less interest in playing the defensive side of his position. Not sure the org has much of an appetite for yet another captain who is just looking to put up points and not do the dirty work to help his team win games.
He's put in a position to play 30 minutes in meaningless games. He's not going to be able to do that regularly and perform on both sides of the ice when he's the only offensive style D we have. Acquire a second pair of dmen and we no longer have this problem.

Chabot has shown full commitment to the team, does what he's asked to do, he deserves to be the C.

You don't give the captaincy to someone trying to bend over the organization while sitting out training camp.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Makes the bargaining through the media for the C look even more idiotic :laugh:

I generally think both sides shoulder some blame and that it's likley that the team has made a fair, good-faith offer to Tkachuk.

But publicly dangling the C as a negotiation tactic was f***ing bush league mickey mouse shit.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Like tkachuk who puts in the defensive work, right?

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

As opposed to the Selke level defense that Brady displays? :sarcasm: Physicality ≠ good defense.

One of these two players is really bad defensively. The other player is Thomas Chabot.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

But compared to Chabot, Brady looks allergic to the defensive zone.

All that offensive hustle from Brady, no where to be seen on the defensive side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad