Confirmed with Link: Leadership group to be announced this Thursday. No captain.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Is Jet Senator a legit source?

What a stupid statement to make. Why would the owner get a pick on who the Captain is????

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Dorion and Eugene shouldn't have any say in who the captain should be. It should be the coaching staff and players only. This micromanaging from above will only serve to alienate the players further from this franchise.

I can understand it though. The captain is a marketing tool, a direct ambassador and figurehead of the club.

Reactions: GCK

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

What a stupid statement to make. Why would the owner get a pick on who the Captain is????
Apparently he was at the season ticket town hall event. Posted a whole bunch of tweets recapping what Dorion said (tl;dr version - talked to Oster today, will wait til the 15 game mark before making a trade, thinks a top 6 forward will be found internally)

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Apparently he was at the season ticket town hall event. Posted a whole bunch of tweets recapping what Dorion said (tl;dr version - talked to Oster today, will wait til the 15 game mark before making a trade, thinks a top 6 forward will be found internally)
Oh. I don't believe that at all. The panic in Ottawa would be over 9000

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

To be fair, if I owned a NHL team, I'd want a say in who the captain is. Not in regards to locker room, or on-ice stuff, but because the captain is the face of the franchise. They are the player that the media flocks to first.

I would want to have my opinion on who that is if I was the owner.

I get people complaining about Melnyk. If he's not the worst owner in the NHL, he's probably the 2nd worst (Terry Pegula might be the worst). But complaining that he wants a say in who the captain is just seems a bit silly. Find better things to complain about regarding Eugene. There's about $20M unspent cap dollars that we could discuss. Or how star players never want to stay. Or how CTC needs about $10m in repairs that he doesnt' want to spend. Or how he f***ed up the LeBreton deal and now the perfect downtown rink location will never be materialized. but picking the captain isn't something to criticize on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Dorion and Eugene shouldn't have any say in who the captain should be. It should be the coaching staff and players only. This micromanaging from above will only serve to alienate the players further from this franchise.

Except it doesn’t work that way, All teams select the captains.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
To be fair, if I owned a NHL team, I'd want a say in who the captain is. Not in regards to locker room, or on-ice stuff, but because the captain is the face of the franchise. They are the player that the media flocks to first.

I would want to have my opinion on who that is if I was the owner.

I get people complaining about Melnyk. If he's not the worst owner in the NHL, he's probably the 2nd worst (Terry Pegula might be the worst). But complaining that he wants a say in who the captain is just seems a bit silly. Find better things to complain about regarding Eugene. There's about $20M unspent cap dollars that we could discuss. Or how star players never want to stay. Or how CTC needs about $10m in repairs that he doesnt' want to spend. Or how he f***ed up the LeBreton deal and now the perfect downtown rink location will never be materialized. but picking the captain isn't something to criticize on.
To be fair they spent 15 million in ventilation updates in the off season.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

He's the f***ing owner, that's why. You think there's a business owner anywhere in the world who isn't involved in all aspects of their business and key decision making?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
He's the f***ing owner, that's why. You think there's a business owner anywhere in the world who isn't involved in all aspects of their business and key decision making?

Absolutely. The owner obviously has veto power over decisions but good business owners are confident in the people they hire and make use of their expertise. Very few successful owners of mid-size, and larger, businesses get involved with all aspects of their business. The buck stops with them but they aren't always involved in key decision making processes.

Unless he thinks that a player chosen as captain is blatantly bad for the franchise brand, he should stay out of the decision process. Those types of things are what successful franchise and business owners hire people to figure out for them.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Absolutely. The owner obviously has veto power over decisions but good business owners are confident in the people they hire and make use of their expertise. Very few successful owners of mid-size, and larger, businesses get involved with all aspects of their business. The buck stops with them but they aren't always involved in key decision making processes.

Unless he thinks that a player chosen as captain is blatantly bad for the franchise brand, he should stay out of the decision process. Those types of things are what successful franchise and business owners hire people to figure out for them.
I don't know a single business owner who doesn't have some say in the selection of the face of their brand. Only in Ottawa though is it a sin for an owner to be involved with this kind of decision. Not even to be the final decision maker, mind you, just to be involved in some unspecified role.

The hatred for this person has blinded some of you to reality. You'll say red is blue and 1+1=70 just to contradict him. Maybe you can consider being a bit more rational cause this isn't a good look for anyone.

Reactions: 5ive4Fighting

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Veto power is different from making the decision outright.

If the coaching staff goes bonkers and selects Sabourin as captain, of course any owner (ok, any reasonable owner), would step in and say no. At the same time, no reasonable owner would stomp into the room like Vince McMahon and declare the captain on his own.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

I think that top 6 forward (presumably a winger) is Formenton. If it’s a centre, Pinto. Either way, they both are, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad