GDT: Le Train De L'Optimisme! - Devils @ Canadiens, 7:30 PM EST, MSG+2 (AGAIN!?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
This is a weak defensive team, inconsistent offensive team and our best goalie is in a slump. The only thing exciting about this team is Hall who is very consistent.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This is a weak defensive team, inconsistent offensive team and our best goalie is in a slump. The only thing exciting about this team is Hall who is very consistent.

Most teams don't have multiple players as exciting as Hall lol. And if they do, they're likely contenders. And Cammalleri has been pretty exciting this year too.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Take a step back from this result.

This time yesterday, what was your expectation before visiting the 12-1-1 home record Montreal Canadiens?

Camille the Eel

First off, I think this Montreal team is better than past editions. They are bigger and more structured down the middle. Webber and Markov are two beasts and their bottom 6 has speed and size.

Second, the Palmieri-Price row energized the Canandiens. They came out in the 2d like they were at war. Face it, Price's emotional explosion and physical attack took them to a different plateau. On their home ice the whole club responded.

Finally, the big difference between our two clubs is precisely their back line. Go back again to Markov and Webber and their defense group. Those are huge players, big talents, two of the leagues top defensemen probably, with Webber one of the top three or four. That matters.

Between our two clubs right now there's that huge difference.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
First off, I think this Montreal team is better than past editions. They are bigger and more structured down the middle. Webber and Markov are two beasts and their bottom 6 has speed and size.

Second, the Palmieri-Price row energized the Canandiens. They came out in the 2d like they were at war. Face it, Price's emotional explosion and physical attack took them to a different plateau. On their home ice the whole club responded.

Finally, the big difference between our two clubs is precisely their back line. Go back again to Markov and Webber and their defense group. Those are huge players, big talents, two of the leagues top defensemen probably, with Webber one of the top three or four. That matters.

Between our two clubs right now there's that huge difference.

No question about it. While it would be great to have some additional forward depth on this team, the most glaring issue on this team is defense and I don't think it's even close.

It was mentioned earlier that the team's defense in general is not up to par and I would agree with that. I think the forwards can help do a better job in regards to slowing down the opposition and in transition, but where things really go downhill is when other teams actually establish possession in our defensive end. This defense is basically incapable of clearing out the crease and gets pushed around far too much.

Players like Webber and Markov obviously don't grow on trees, but Shero really has to find a way to add some size and strength to the backend. I understand that they want mobile players on defense but as the season goes on, the physical limitations of our defense are only going to get further exposed as the games increase in intensity. This defense isn't going to cut it. Cory finding his top level would help to mask their limitations but I just don't think this is a playoff caliber defense.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I would like to see more of Mr. Wood. He's just a blast to watch. My expectations for this season are "playoffs-at-best", so for me it's more just development. I'm happy to see Severson playing well, but the defense (and the offense to a lesser degree) really needs help.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Team defense is a problem, especially because of lack of structure, but I think that's also an indictment of the coaching staff, particularly the defense assistant coach. Wish we had hired an assistant coach with NHL experience for that role. Think our team defense would be less sloppy if we did. Bottom line, though, was our defense was supposed to be helped out by having an All-Star goalie in net, but so far, our All-Star has looked rather dull.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Cory needs to stop sucking. He isn't even playing like an NHL caliber starting goalie at this point.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Team defense is a problem, especially because of lack of structure, but I think that's also an indictment of the coaching staff, particularly the defense assistant coach. Wish we had hired an assistant coach with NHL experience for that role. Think our team defense would be less sloppy if we did. Bottom line, though, was our defense was supposed to be helped out by having an All-Star goalie in net, but so far, our All-Star has looked rather dull.

Scott Stevens....

Was moronic to kick him to the curb. That said, the D lacks talent regardless of who is coaching.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
CoryForVezina;125431641[B said:
]Scott Stevens....

Was moronic to kick him to the curb. [/B]That said, the D lacks talent regardless of who is coaching.

That's kind of how I felt at the time, although I would've been fine doing so if we had brought in another defense coach with NHL coaching experiencing, but we didn't, and I think that is showing.

Of course, I wouldn't say no to adding more talent to this defense corps, and certainly from the beginning of the season, I pictured a "defense by committee" model backed up by elite goaltending to get us by along with the increased offensive production that Hall is capable of bringing. Thus far, Hall has brought increased offensive production in spades, but the defense committee has been a bit lax at times, and Cory has been far, far away from elite. The defensive structure needs to be improved (and hopefully the talent can be as well) but Cory also needs to step up his game big time, as you have said.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Problem with Stevens is would his system clash with the team identity? It is obvious that Hynes wants the defense to activate offensively as much a possible. Would a Stevens led defensive group do that? I think that is why he was not retained.

Regardless we are lacking defensive talent on the back end and it is showing.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Problem with Stevens is would his system clash with the team identity? It is obvious that Hynes wants the defense to activate offensively as much a possible. Would a Stevens led defensive group do that? I think that is why he was not retained.

Regardless we are lacking defensive talent on the back end and it is showing.

As a defenseman, Stevens was willing to activate offensively (and was quite good at it), so I don't know if he would've been opposed to having the defense do that. Definitely hard to say either way.

I do think that under Stevens, the defense wouldn't be as easy to push around, though, since it's been my belief that Stevens might have been the one to help develop Larsson's physical game. Wish someone was encouraging our defense to be a bit more protective of our crease.

I believe Hynes wanted to go with a defense coach he was familiar with and comfortable working with, and maybe that will turn out fine in the end, but right now, our defensive game is not up to the standard I would expect of a Devils team, and it is a bit disappointing.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
As a defenseman, Stevens was willing to activate offensively (and was quite good at it), so I don't know if he would've been opposed to having the defense do that. Definitely hard to say either way.

I do think that under Stevens, the defense wouldn't be as easy to push around, though, since it's been my belief that Stevens might have been the one to help develop Larsson's physical game. Wish someone was encouraging our defense to be a bit more protective of our crease.

I believe Hynes wanted to go with a defense coach he was familiar with and comfortable working with, and maybe that will turn out fine in the end, but right now, our defensive game is not up to the standard I would expect of a Devils team, and it is a bit disappointing.
I felt like our structure and play was good last year when he had the horses. This year not so much with the departure of Larsson which has had a trickle down effect on the D lineup. Would Stevens have that big of an impact on guys like Lovejoy Auvitu Moore and Severson? I do not think so, I feel like it is a lineup problem.

I am definitely on board with making a splash on the trade market or free agency for a steady defenseman. The eventual emergence of Santini will help as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad