LD Zach Yuen - Tri City Americans, WHL (2011 Draft, UFA)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Would love to hear your thoughts on him, as I consider you to be a very knowledgeable poster of all things WHL.

What do you see as his possible realistic potential? Possible #4 or more of a #5-6 guy? Comparables?

I wasn't able to get to the rookie camps here in Winnipeg, but those that did and posted about it on the Jets board said that Yuen's skating is off the charts. They weren't commenting on speed, but his mobility, and I guess his edge work.

I could see him as a solid #3 or #4 guy. He's an unreal skater, handles the puck well and has a great shot. Plays physical, doesn't back down from contact and reads the play amazing well. Likely projects to be a guy who plays both a penalty kill and 2nd PP unit.

Not really sure as far as comparables go. I like to use my comparisons to let people know who a player resembles on the ice and Yuen is an interesting player to watch. There's not many players that resemble his style of game.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I could see him as a solid #3 or #4 guy. He's an unreal skater, handles the puck well and has a great shot. Plays physical, doesn't back down from contact and reads the play amazing well. Likely projects to be a guy who plays both a penalty kill and 2nd PP unit.

Not really sure as far as comparables go. I like to use my comparisons to let people know who a player resembles on the ice and Yuen is an interesting player to watch. There's not many players that resemble his style of game.

I think it's weird he's never got any love from Hockey Canada, no U-18's because his team was in the playoffs. Wasn't even invited to the SuperSeries roster while Keegan Lowe and Wotherspoon were, huh? Don't think there's much difference between Yuen and an incumbent like Scott Harrington even. Just find it weird how underrated this guy is as a prospect.

Last edited:

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think it's weird he's never got any love from Hockey Canada, no U-18's because his team was in the playoffs. Wasn't even invited to the SuperSeries roster while Keegan Lowe and Wotherspoon were, huh? Don't think there's much difference between Yuen and an incumbent like Scott Harrington even. Just find it weird how underrated this guy is as a prospect.

I would say there is a fairly big gap between him and a guy like Harrington. As for Wotherspoon and Lowe, I just think that they are different type of guys than Yuen is. I think he's more of a two-way D, while the other two are definitely more pure shutdown guys.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Hes the classic jack of all trade, elite at nothing kind of player. Take my opinion witha grain of salt since I havent seen him this year, but I lived in the Tri Cities in previous years when he has played there. I really dont see much upside here. I forgot the percentage of 4th rounders that make the NHL (think it was like 5-10%) but I see him as a bottom pairing guy who could fill in short stints in the top 4.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hes the classic jack of all trade, elite at nothing kind of player. Take my opinion witha grain of salt since I havent seen him this year, but I lived in the Tri Cities in previous years when he has played there. I really dont see much upside here. I forgot the percentage of 4th rounders that make the NHL (think it was like 5-10%) but I see him as a bottom pairing guy who could fill in short stints in the top 4.

I'm not saying he'll be a top pairing guy or anything, just that he's underrated as far as how he's developed.

And I think having not have seen him this year might be hurting your view. The growth from 18 to 19 year old seasons can often-times be very impressive. I would say this is one of those cases.

arsmaster*

I would say there is a fairly big gap between him and a guy like Harrington. As for Wotherspoon and Lowe, I just think that they are different type of guys than Yuen is. I think he's more of a two-way D, while the other two are definitely more pure shutdown guys.

I take Yuen 100 times out of 100 over Keegan Lowe.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

Guys like Jan Hejda, Mike Weaver, Nick Schultz, Mike Sauer and Chris Tanev all have legitimate careers in the NHL being similar types of unassuming all-around jack-of-all trades d-men without any sort of "dynamic" skill other than a good physical package and solid decision making/poise. There is always a market for guys that have plus skating skills that can go back in their own corner and get the puck out of the zone with consistent low-risk decision-making. None of those guys I mentioned are either physical at all nor offensively skilled at the NHL level in the slightest. I doubt he ever gets more than 30 pts if he plays a full season but there is plenty of valuable NHLers with similar skillsets.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
I've always liked Asian athletes... Very humble more often than not (maybe because some of them ie: Matsuzaka can't speak English well, but I digress)

Would be cool to see more diversity in the NHL

Increased diversity in the NHL is coming soon, which should expand the appeal of the league and increase the overall talent pool moving forward. Luckily the NHL is a merit based business so neither side of the matter can complain - what happens happens. Minorities increasingly see themselves as able to be part of the NHL and I'm sure the perceptions that the league is a white sport will subside. Whether you buy into that accusation or not is up to you, but I think those kind of arguments won't mean much in a matter of years. There will be better representation paired with more proportionate amounts of prospects from different groups.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I take Yuen 100 times out of 100 over Keegan Lowe.

Depends on what situation you're talking about.

As an NHL prospect, I would probably agree. For a two-week tournament where I might need a tough, D-first defender? Then I would take Lowe.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Trevor Daley sounds like a great comparison to me.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The NHL needs more diversity! More blacks, more Asian, more middle eastern! Bout time the NHL had another Asian player... I'd say a good 1/2 to 2/3rds of my social circle and better friends are either Chinese, Korean or Filipino. All love hockey and play pretty good too. Chinese and East Indian in particular should get more involved in the sport but I know it's not encouraged in their respective, more traditional cultures as it is with white Anglo Saxon, or French Canadian etc., families. Although maybe it is? I'm not entirely sure but it seems like that anyways.

jetkarma*

Watched him at the development camp and his skating is elite , maybe not the sheer speed , but overall he is such a strong skater , smooth , balanced , foot movement , edging ... beautiful skater .

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Guys like Jan Hejda, Mike Weaver, Nick Schultz, Mike Sauer and Chris Tanev all have legitimate careers in the NHL being similar types of unassuming all-around jack-of-all trades d-men without any sort of "dynamic" skill other than a good physical package and solid decision making/poise.

From what i've seen, Yuen is soft as butter though. Not in the hitting department per say, but overall toughness. I dont remember the exact game, but there was one game where a line brawl started and Yuen was on the ice. All his teamates were fighting, and a guy skated up to him. He let the guy grab him by the collar with his glove on and went to town popping him in the jaw. It was very Sedin / Marchand like, except for the fact that it wasnt the playoffs, and everyone else was fighting so hes not going to draw a penalty or anything.

Maybe hes Buddhist and was turning the other cheek (mostly joking) but at least defend yourself dude. I understand some people arent willing to fight, but thats unacceptable to me. Even Brian Lee, who I feel is a good comparison to Yuen will fight if he has to. Thats probably the main reason im not high on this guy. It may be a little personal preference, but my point im trying to make is that an average at everything + soft player does not equal a regular NHLer to me. With all that said, I do hope the guy makes it. Hes a good teamate and quality person (or so i've read) and I know it sort of sounds like I just dont like him, but i'm just skeptical of his chances.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
From what i've seen, Yuen is soft as butter though. Not in the hitting department per say, but overall toughness. I dont remember the exact game, but there was one game where a line brawl started and Yuen was on the ice. All his teamates were fighting, and a guy skated up to him. He let the guy grab him by the collar with his glove on and went to town popping him in the jaw. It was very Sedin / Marchand like, except for the fact that it wasnt the playoffs, and everyone else was fighting so hes not going to draw a penalty or anything.

Maybe hes Buddhist and was turning the other cheek (mostly joking) but at least defend yourself dude. I understand some people arent willing to fight, but thats unacceptable to me. Even Brian Lee, who I feel is a good comparison to Yuen will fight if he has to. Thats probably the main reason im not high on this guy. It may be a little personal preference, but my point im trying to make is that an average at everything + soft player does not equal a regular NHLer to me. With all that said, I do hope the guy makes it. Hes a good teamate and quality person (or so i've read) and I know it sort of sounds like I just dont like him, but i'm just skeptical of his chances.

Maybe he just didn't want to take a dumb penalty at that point in the game?

It appears as if Yuen isn't at all unwilling to defend himself, counter to your claim.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Have never got that type of vibe from him at all. He plays with a nice edge to his game and I've never seen him back down from anything.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Guys like Jan Hejda, Mike Weaver, Nick Schultz, Mike Sauer and Chris Tanev all have legitimate careers in the NHL being similar types of unassuming all-around jack-of-all trades d-men without any sort of "dynamic" skill other than a good physical package and solid decision making/poise. There is always a market for guys that have plus skating skills that can go back in their own corner and get the puck out of the zone with consistent low-risk decision-making. None of those guys I mentioned are either physical at all nor offensively skilled at the NHL level in the slightest. I doubt he ever gets more than 30 pts if he plays a full season but there is plenty of valuable NHLers with similar skillsets.

I would agree with this assessment. I was very impressed by his skating when I saw him at 16 but he doesn't have elite talent offensively and maybe only just above average. Still room for him in the NHL, a solid guy who should play enough games to make an NHL pension.

Fearless Leaf*

Zachary Yuen - WHL ( Tri-city state Americans)

I just saw his name listed on our 2013 rookie tournament roster. How is this possible? Isn't he Parton Jets organization?

Wasn't he a solid and promising prospect not too long ago?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Jets opted not to sign him to the standard three year ELC and Yuen went back into the 2013 Draft. He went unselected and it appears that he attended summer camp with Dallas. At this point, he's not property of any NHL club. Like most of the clubs doing rookie tournaments, they'll fill out rosters with a handful of undrafted players.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2013/08/22/rookie-tourney-roster-marlies-2013-14-scheduled-announced/

Filling out the roster, Andrew Crescenzi (F) and Christopher Gibson (G) are two ’92 born free agent signings while Ryan’s brother Matt Rupert (F) and defencemen Trevor Murphy and Kevin Raine are undrafted invitees. A diminutive rearguard out of Windsor, Murphy was barely eligible for the 2013 draft having just turned 18 a month ago, and is the youngest kid at the camp; Raine, a defensive defenceman formerly of the London Knights and Sudbury Wolves, is now draft ineligible and vying for a contract. So too is Zachary Yuen, a defenceman out of Tri City who went unsigned after being drafted in the fourth round by the Winnipeg Jets in 2011.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Yuen, by all accounts, had a stand out performance at the Stars rookie camp. I would say that if he has a good outing in Traverse City he will be signed and sent to the Texas Stars.

Primetimey*

Yuen, by all accounts, had a stand out performance at the Stars rookie camp. I would say that if he has a good outing in Traverse City he will be signed and sent to the Texas Stars.

I donno about standout performance. He had a good camp but clearly wasn't enough to get an invite with Dallas for Traverse.

I think he should get an AHL job somewhere this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad