LD Zach Yuen - Tri City Americans, WHL (2011 Draft, UFA)

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I was just wondering if anybody has seen this kid out of Tri-Cities actually play? He ended off with 32 pts this year, fairly decent for a 17-year-old and showing good progression from 4 pts the year before, but the number that caught my eye was that he is +41 (highest on the team) and he was also a plus player in his rookie year. Perhaps that is an indication of his defensive abilities. He also appears to have decent size, 6'0" and 205 lbs, probably some room to fill out even more in there.

Anybody at all have a report on this kid, Renegade perhaps? Haven't seen his name talked about much considering his great rating.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah, it is pretty weird he hasn't gotten talked about at all. He's pretty solid defensively and he's a great skater. At this point he's probably a 3rd rounder or lower, but who knows he could go higher, teams are always high on d-men with good size who are good at rushing the puck.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm pretty high on Yuen, I have him slated in my top-15 WHL skaters for the upcoming draft.

As mentioned already, his plus/minus is his most telling attribute; but Yuen is a good skater and plays a solid two-way game. He has a good shot and makes smart passes, and isn't afraid to get into the mix physically. He doesn't excel in any single area, but he is good at just about everything. That may be why he isn't ranked higher on most lists - he doesn't have the elite offensive numbers or PIM totals, and he isn't a huge defenseman by any means.

I agree with the above poster - I don't think he goes any higher than the third round, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken in that range.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I don't get to see a lot of the Western Conference, especially the US division but he is a guy I have had my eye on most of the year. I like him and think he definitely could be one of the top 15 guys taken in the WHL this year.

But like I said, I haven't seen a lot of him, and only saw him live 1 time this year.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Thanks guys, he's not a flashy prospect or anything by any means. Prospects from Tri-City don't seem to get a lot of press ever as well, it's sort of weird.

Just found it interesting that with his tools he's not talked about a little more. Hopefully he can break out offensively even more next year as it looks like he'll be the go-to guy. I'll be looking for his name on the second day of the draft and don't think I'll mind if he ends up with the Oilers. He seems like one of those guys that you'll see in the NHL one day 4 years from now and say, where did he come from?

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Went to high school with, albeit a couple years ahead of, him and played some ball hockey with him. Hope for all the best in his career.

Ams1fan

Sep 10, 2009
Thoughts on Yuen.

I'm a TC Americans season ticket holder so I've seen Zach a lot. He's been one of the most consistent blue-liners on the team since he got here as a 16 yo. As someone else eluded too, he does everything well but is not flashy or spectacular in any one area. Everyone likes to categorize people and I think that's why Zach is a bit under the radar. He's got good offensive skills, but doesn't play like Tyson Barrie. He's very responsible in his own zone (led the team in +/-) but isn't the 6'4" prototype you'd label a shut down guy. He sticks up for teammates and isn't afraid to go, but he's not an enforcer. But if the idea is to keep the puck out of your net he's a guy you want on your team. He's played on the top D pairing all year as a 17 yo and has never looked out of place once. Because of our depth he doesn't really get PP time, but I see him QB the PP next year as Tyler Schmidt and Matt MacKenzie move on.

Sabres9

Mar 8, 2011
Used to play with Zach, last year playing with was bantam. He was the best player I've ever played that's my age, he's gonna be real good down the road

MugenSilverSiR

Jun 30, 2008
It looks like ZY is going to the Jets...Congratulations Zach! I hope to see you play when your on the Jets and come to town.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Might be the most underrated player in the WHL. Honestly.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Might be the most underrated player in the WHL. Honestly.

Would love to hear your thoughts on him, as I consider you to be a very knowledgeable poster of all things WHL.

What do you see as his possible realistic potential? Possible #4 or more of a #5-6 guy? Comparables?

I wasn't able to get to the rookie camps here in Winnipeg, but those that did and posted about it on the Jets board said that Yuen's skating is off the charts. They weren't commenting on speed, but his mobility, and I guess his edge work.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Have had my eye on this guy for years, just seems to get better and better and better. Great pick by Winnipeg.

From his answers, sounds like the interview was conducted via email or something.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I've always liked Asian athletes... Very humble more often than not (maybe because some of them ie: Matsuzaka can't speak English well, but I digress)

Would be cool to see more diversity in the NHL

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Would've been a Canuck had the Jets not traded for San Jose's pick to get him 1 above us. Big fan of this kid, and man, if the Canucks had gotten Yuen and Corrado out of the middle rounds of the 2011 draft I would be a very happy camper right now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Watched him for the 1st time at the jets prospects camp this July and was really impressed with his skills. Was by far the smoothest prospect in a four cone drill that measured four way mobility while controlling the puck. he was beyond impressive in the drill and it looked like he had natural tracking (or cover) skills and transitional talent.

Also seems to have allot of character and the perfect teammate type.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Zach's a great guy too. Super chill, very laid back. No real arrogance to him either, though he has every right to be. I hope he's a force for the Jets down the road (except when playing Vancouver.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad