LD Zach Yuen - Tri City Americans, WHL (2011 Draft, UFA)

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I donno about standout performance. He had a good camp but clearly wasn't enough to get an invite with Dallas for Traverse.

I think he should get an AHL job somewhere this year.

My bad. I thought I saw him on the Traverse city roster for Dallas.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He'll play pro, but likely after this coming WHL season as he's still a '93 and eligible to play another year in the league.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
He is invited to the leafs rookie tournament. even though we have quite a lot of D prospects, i like his chances as a bottom pairing for the marlies

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Any idea why this kid wasn't signed by the Jets?

I vaguely recall one of their braintrust putting it bluntly that they didn't feel like Yuen progressed to the point where they wanted to sign him to the standard three year ELC. Not sure if they had any constraints with the contract limits, but not signing a prospect might have opened up a spot to acquire Frolik/Setoguchi for picks.

Kings felt the same way about Chris Gibson who went back into the draft, went unselected, but earned a contract with Toronto after attending their prospect camp.

Last year, Columbus didn't attempt to sign Petr Straka who was taken in the tail end of the 2nd round in 2010. Straka went undrafted in 2012, but had a decent overage season and had a small bidding war for his services as a result. He'd eventually sign with Philadelphia. Troy Rutkowski is another guy who wasn't signed, didn't get drafted a second time, but landed a contract with Ottawa.

Primetimey*

I vaguely recall one of their braintrust putting it bluntly that they didn't feel like Yuen progressed to the point where they wanted to sign him to the standard three year ELC. Not sure if they had any constraints with the contract limits, but not signing a prospect might have opened up a spot to acquire Frolik/Setoguchi for picks.

Kings felt the same way about Chris Gibson who went back into the draft, went unselected, but earned a contract with Toronto after attending their prospect camp.

Last year, Columbus didn't attempt to sign Petr Straka who was taken in the tail end of the 2nd round in 2010. Straka went undrafted in 2012, but had a decent overage season and had a small bidding war for his services as a result. He'd eventually sign with Philadelphia. Troy Rutkowski is another guy who wasn't signed, didn't get drafted a second time, but landed a contract with Ottawa.

http://www.capgeek.com/jets/

They only have 17 non-roster contracts. Most teams are in the 22-27 range.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Space wasn't an issue and we need LHD prospects badly. Considering he wasn't redrafted I would say Chevy was right in saying the progress just wasn't there. That's saying a lot since we moved up to draft him. We also cannot afford to let prospects walk.

Primetimey*

I was surprised the Jets elected not to sign Yuen, but I'm even more surprised other teams (ie. Dallas) followed suit.

You expected Dallas to sign him because he got a development camp invite?

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
He's over 20 so I'm assuming he'll play in the AHL. Why would he come back to the W?

Because he doesn't even have a contract yet? Even if he does sign a contract I bet he could get sent back for his overage year as well.

Kichton and Rutkowski are both d-men that are going to play in the AHL this coming season that just played their 20 year old seasons in the WHL this past year to great success and further development.

LuckyLuke87

May 11, 2010
Prague
Really interesting story with Zach. Going into the 2011 draft, I thought he's pretty talented kid, he had great interviews too and in the end seemed like possible steal in 4th round. Also I'd say he progressed pretty nicely in following years. Than:

1) WPG decides not to sign him and release his rights
2) Zach goes back to the draft, where he (according to some sources) has pretty good chance to be drafted again, but in the end goes undrafted
3) is invited by DAL and TOR to rookie / development camps and performs well (by reports) but gets no contract in the end
4) 2013/14 season starts and he's not playing anywhere, no NHL (this was obvious), no WHL, no Europe, no AHL / ECHL contract

Does anyone have any info, where is he going to play this season? It seems there must be something really wrong with Zach that keeps all those teams away.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Does anyone have any info, where is he going to play this season? It seems there must be something really wrong with Zach that keeps all those teams away.

He has signed an AHL contract with the Toronto Marlies. If he does well, he's likely to be signed to an Entry Level contract sometime in the next couple months.

He played decently for Toronto in their rookie tournament. We'll see how he adjusts to the pro level with the Marlies this upcoming year where should be able to get bottom pairing minutes to start.

EDIT:

Source on the signing: http://www.marlies.ca/news/news.asp?story_id=2778

The Toronto Marlies have signed defenceman Zach Yuen to an AHL contract.

Yuen, 20, skated in 71 games for Tri-City (WHL) during the 2012-13 regular season, posting 43 points (9 goals, 34 assists) and 58 penalty minutes. The Vancouver, BC native was a fourth round draft pick (119th overall) of the Winnipeg Jets in 2011.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
He has signed an AHL contract with the Toronto Marlies. If he does well, he's likely to be signed to an Entry Level contract sometime in the next couple months.

He played decently for Toronto in their rookie tournament. We'll see how he adjusts to the pro level with the Marlies this upcoming year where should be able to get bottom pairing minutes to start.

EDIT:

Source on the signing: http://www.marlies.ca/news/news.asp?story_id=2778

With so many D's with Marlies, maybe he starts off with the Orlando Solar Bears. Liked his game when he played in the tournament in London.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad