LD Zac Jones - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2019, 68th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
meanwhile in Tampa Bay...

A Rangers captain with a NMC? Tell me more...

It’s unlikely for any team, although not impossible. Don’t expect a Trouba trade. I hope it happens for cap reasons, but I’m expecting one of Lundkvist/Schneider goes instead.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
It’s unlikely for any team, although not impossible. Don’t expect a Trouba trade. I hope it happens for cap reasons, but I’m expecting one of Lundkvist/Schneider goes instead.

I disagree, I think it's highly likely, actually. The Reason: MONEY, there isn't nearly enough to go around. The Rangers seem poised to extend Zibanejad at big dollars, Fox is about to get $9-$10 million on his next deal and K'Andre Miller will be an expensive 2nd contract as well. And then there's Lafreniere looming in two years a well, so Trouba, who is obviously a very good player, is a luxury the Rangers will not be able to afford as the Rangers will have close to $45 million tied up in Panarin, Zibanejad, Lafreniere, Fox & Miller. I suspect both Trouba & Kreider end up getting traded as a result.

As for Jones, I suggested in my previous post that the Rangers might choose to keep Jones over Lundkvist...it's too early to know but I do strongly believe that they will pair Jones/Lundkvist with a more physical defender as they will with Fox (irrespective of Fox's defensive prowess). Fox's more obvious defensive partner is Lindgren only because he is both tough/physical and cheap. I personally think Lundkvist will ultimately get that 2nd line puck mover job but Jones could certainly beat him out for it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
1G+6A=7 points in 13 AHL games.

I wouldn't say he's dominating, but I think he probably belongs in the NHL, and a full AHL season doesn't do him much good. He's playing all situations, and while he's not the clear best player on the team, there's a good argument that he's the best player on the team. He's certainly the best defenseman right now. Hartford is also very good right now, and one of the better AHL teams.

I think the Fox comparisons were easy to make for Rangers fans the last few years as American 5'10/5'11 offensive defensemen that were picked in the third round, best part of their game is their hockey sense, not blazing skaters, but good all-around players. It's becoming clear that Jones will not be as good, and probably not anywhere near as good. But neither will almost anyone else.

While Fox's hockey sense is like Albert Einstein level of fooling players that try to pressure him with deception and body movements, Jones is more of a crafty type of player. He uses elevation and different angles extremely well in moving the puck. He does it a little different from Fox. More creativity type of hockey sense and pure deception type of hockey sense. Jones is probably not going to be much better than league average defensively. He makes a few too many errors with the puck and he's too small to be a shutdown defender, but I think he's the type of player that won't be less than league average. He could probably be a penalty killer in a pinch.

He's going to score a lot of points though, and put up big numbers in the possession game due to how good he is with the puck. He may not have blazing speed, but his edges are really good and his composure with the puck is great. He knows that he's able to move it off to the next player almost anytime he wants under any type of pressure, which allows him to hold it longer than most players. He's a very good passer, and while he doesn't have a big shot, he gets it through and it's a real threat.

Jones is closer to a Torey Krug. I could see him as a good #3D or a lower-end #2D in his prime.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Going to earn a spot in the rotation soon, hopefully Kandre has enough confidence to be removed from Trouba.

KAM - Fox
Jones - Trouba
Lind - Lund

Nemeth for rotation
Tinordi for tuffness

KAM and Nils. No reason to mess with the top pair. It’s one of the few things that we know works. I like the idea of Jones-Trouba.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
No reason to mess with the top pair. It’s one of the few things that we know works

This is an under-appreciated factor.

Don't want to derail the Jones thread with Fox/Makar--but look at Makar with/without Toews.

Eight games without--2g/4a
Seven games with--7g/4a

Even the best D-men benefit from strong complementary partners.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's played the last two games for the big club. The first game an AHL call up was needed because we had too many defensemen out with COVID. The next game he displaced an NHL defensemen and stayed in the lineup.

I think the consensus was that he played well in both games. No points and low minutes. Thats typical of the young Rangers on the big club. Most of them barely play and don't play important roles. We have a very top heavy team and that doesn't include most of our young players, so they all get criticized for that.

Jones is looking NHL ready though, which we knew last season. One of our beat reporters got this quote from a scout for an article he put out today.

An NHL scout who watched the Rangers closely in the preseason said this of Jones: “He was maybe their fifth-best defenseman coming out of camp. Might have been fourth, he looked smoother than (K’Andre) Miller.”
Ten thoughts on two impressive Rangers wins

Miller struggled in the preseason and has had a very good season, especially the last month, so that statement may be unfair to him. But Jones is usually counted as last among our young defense core of Miller, Schneider, Lundkvist, and Jones. He's the only non-first round pick of the four and he's the smallest, so the reasons why aren't surprising. However, I think Jones has a good chance to be the best of them, and I think he's at least the second best of them right now. The guy is really impressive. I would be upset with Gallant's decision-making if Jones does not stick in the lineup. No reason why we shouldn't be icing our best lineup, which has to include Jones.

Reactions: slumpy43

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
He's played the last two games for the big club. The first game an AHL call up was needed because we had too many defensemen out with COVID. The next game he displaced an NHL defensemen and stayed in the lineup.

I think the consensus was that he played well in both games. No points and low minutes. Thats typical of the young Rangers on the big club. Most of them barely play and don't play important roles. We have a very top heavy team and that doesn't include most of our young players, so they all get criticized for that.

Jones is looking NHL ready though, which we knew last season. One of our beat reporters got this quote from a scout for an article he put out today.

Ten thoughts on two impressive Rangers wins

Miller struggled in the preseason and has had a very good season, especially the last month, so that statement may be unfair to him. But Jones is usually counted as last among our young defense core of Miller, Schneider, Lundkvist, and Jones. He's the only non-first round pick of the four and he's the smallest, so the reasons why aren't surprising. However, I think Jones has a good chance to be the best of them, and I think he's at least the second best of them right now. The guy is really impressive. I would be upset with Gallant's decision-making if Jones does not stick in the lineup. No reason why we shouldn't be icing our best lineup, which has to include Jones.
I agree with this take. Jones is clearly a superior player to Lundkvist, and while I am not in the business of projecting them moving forward, there is no reason for Nils to be in the NHL over Zac as of today.

K’Andre has been amazing recently as well, so #2 on that list sounds right to me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
First game back in months in the NHL last night and he was our best player, although we rested almost all of our good players and lost to the worst team in the league.

The only reason he’s not in the normal lineup right now is because the coach is a dinosaur. Can’t have Fox and Jones in the same lineup because they are both below NHL average height for a defenseman. Apparently doesn’t matter that Fox is an elite all-around player. This is how NHL coaches think.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
First game back in months in the NHL last night and he was our best player, although we rested almost all of our good players and lost to the worst team in the league.

The only reason he’s not in the normal lineup right now is because the coach is a dinosaur. Can’t have Fox and Jones in the same lineup because they are both below NHL average height for a defenseman. Apparently doesn’t matter that Fox is an elite all-around player. This is how NHL coaches think.
He was the best player? Really? Because his advanced stats say he wasn't that great (was great at creating offense but gave it all back defensively) whilst K'Andre Miller is proving to be a stud game by game.
And you know I like Jones. I was tracking the game's advanced stats all throughout because I couldn't watch. Wish he had a better partner than Hajek when he gets called up.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He was the best player? Really? Because his advanced stats say he wasn't that great (was great at creating offense but gave it all back defensively) whilst K'Andre Miller is proving to be a stud game by game.
And you know I like Jones. I was tracking the game's advanced stats all throughout because I couldn't watch. Wish he had a better partner than Hajek when he gets called up.

You're talking to the guy that said Miller will be the next Sean Day.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
He did look good offensively but I barely noticed him in the D zone.
I also thought Miller was more noticeable on the PP than Jones.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was our best player yesterday. He’s getting really close to his first goal. Creates so much offense. Only reason he’s not in the lineup is size. He’s better right now than Schneider, although I’d pair them together instead of using Nemeth or Braun.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Who is he beating next year? Unless Nemeth is moved, Jones would have to beat Schneider, at least, for a spot and will likely have to compete with Lundkvist too. If Nemeth stays, it'd be hard for Jones to crack the roster.

1652758957187.png

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who is he beating next year? Unless Nemeth is moved, Jones would have to beat Schneider, at least, for a spot and will likely have to compete with Lundkvist too. If Nemeth stays, it'd be hard for Jones to crack the roster.

View attachment 548125
Nemeth isn't even currently in our lineup. We are playing two righties on the bottom pair. Nemeth will be bought out, traded, or be made to earn his spot, if he was to stay.

He's not competing with Lundkvist. Lundkvist is competing with Schneider, and it's not going to be much of a competition, unless Schneider's form drastically drops off. Lundkvist will probably be traded this summer. There's no way we'd play a bottom pairing of Lundkvist-Schneider with two very young righties playing together. We only play two righties now because Braun is a veteran, and Nemeth is that bad.

Jones will likely be on the bottom pairing next season paired with Schneider.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

View attachment 548125
Drury needs to do whatever he can to get rid of Nemeth. Nemeth has been bad in the playoffs and we need the cap space. I have no idea why Drury gave him a 3 year deal at that cap hit, and a limited NTC on top of it. Who was he bidding against?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad