LD Zac Jones - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2019, 68th, NYR)

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Hell yeah. They kept saying in the frozen four game broadcasts he was probably coming back next year. Great news for rangers fans.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It'll be fun to watch him play for the NHL team because what matters with these prospects for fans is how they produce for NHL teams, not their careers in lower leagues, but I also don't know that I think this is best for his development.

I don't think it's going to ruin him to start his pro career, nor do I believe the Rangers would be dumb enough to have him sit in the press box or play like 10 minutes per game. I'm not sure this going terrible is in the range of outcomes, so I guess we'll see how it goes. Wouldn't have been the decision I made running the team, but maybe the kid wanted to turn pro. At that point, it makes no sense picking a fight with the player over it.

And it could actually help the NHL team to not have a third pair with two guys who throw away the puck as often as Smith and Hajek do.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Something that's not discussed is how this contract, with the ELC burn, affects the RFA status. By having the ELC burn a year, without accrueing a pro season for 2020-21, Zac Jones will be a 10.2(c) status player in 2023

That means he isn't eligible for offer sheets, but more important: He isn't eligible for salary arbitration, which he would have been eligible for based on age and pro experience in 2023.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Who was saying it, the worst announcing duo in hockey Bucci and Melrose?

Zac Jones 3 weeks ago said it himself in an interview with Mollie Walker (NY Post) that he would stay for his Junior year.

The offer he got from the Rangers was too good to turn down. Being paid 185k over the course of 3 months in bonuses alone is a lot for a 20 year old kid. It also shows that the team really has faith in him.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
The offer he got from the Rangers was too good to turn down. Being paid 185k over the course of 3 months in bonuses alone is a lot for a 20 year old kid. It also shows that the team really has faith in him.
That's the signing bonus for pretty much every decent NHL prospect coming out of college.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That's the signing bonus for pretty much every decent NHL prospect coming out of college.

Yes but he's getting it paid twice in the span of 3 months.

The day he signs for the 2020-21 season, and July 1st for the 2021-22 season. Then there's the prospect of negotiating for your 2nd contract in just 2 years instead of 3, or even 4 if he had signed a 3-year ELC next summer.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was good in the second game. The first game he was a little erratic. He played nearly 14 minutes in the second game, and was towards the top of the corsi chart. He also played a role in one of the goals, although didn’t pick up a point. I hope he stays in the lineup once Trouba returns. He’s better than Hajek and Smith. I have a hard time believing he will though.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Got his first NHL point. Didn’t do much on this play, but they all count the same.

What he’s done though is help improve the Rangers second PP, along with Lafreniere. The last three games without Trouba and Miller on the PP, the second unit has been very good.

They going to have a tough time deciding who plays on that PP2 when fully healthy. Between Trouba, Miller and now Jones..... I might actually lean toward Jones, but who knows? Going to be even crazier once Nils Lundqvist arrives. I actually think Lundqvist could be a better player than Fox even, which is nuts.

If I had to choose though, for now Fox, Jones, then Miller and Trouba as far as PP time.
And next season, Fox, Lundqvist, Jones, then Miller or Trouba or whomever else.

Calling it now, Lundqvist ends up a staple on the PP1 and Fox on the PP2 eventually! And Lundqvist, not Fox, is turns into the Rangers top offensive D, with Fox slightly behind.

Kind of feel for Jones and Miller though. 2 guys who will deserve PP time who won't get a ton of it if they stay in NY.

Reactions: John Snow

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
They going to have a tough time deciding who plays on that PP2 when fully healthy. Between Trouba, Miller and now Jones..... I might actually lean toward Jones, but who knows? Going to be even crazier once Nils Lundqvist arrives. I actually think Lundqvist could be a better player than Fox even, which is nuts.

If I had to choose though, for now Fox, Jones, then Miller and Trouba as far as PP time.

Calling it now, Lundqvist ends up a staple on the PP1 and Fox on the PP2 eventually! And Lundqvist, not Fox, is turns into the Rangers top offensive D, with Fox slightly behind.
As a Ranger fan, I am not a fan of Trouba or Miller on the second unit. Neither seem like the best guy to run a power play. Hoping one of Nils or Jones will emerge as that guy.

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
As a Ranger fan, I am not a fan of Trouba or Miller on the second unit. Neither seem like the best guy to run a power play. Hoping one of Nils or Jones will emerge as that guy.

I don't mind Trouba on the powerplay. He has a big shot and he's willing to use it, which I can't really say about any of our other defensemen. The Miller experiment is not working though; he has really shown nothing on the PP.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia

Kind of feel for Jones and Miller though. 2 guys who will deserve PP time who won't get a ton of it if they stay in NY.
100% brother! I agree completely that Nils has the skills to eventually earn the top pp spot ahead of Fox. Nothing against Fox, but Lundkvist could be incredible. If you saw the 5 on3 pp yesterday you could see there was almost no threat of a shot from Fox. That is a huge dimension that is invaluable on a pp. I am pretty sure Nils can pass to either side from the point just as well as Fox. He will need a few months to get comfortable, but I am very hopeful that he can do it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another assist today. 4 points in his first 10 games. He's gotten better with each game. His first few games he was a little inconsistent. I have a hard time believing he could be kept off the NHL team next season. I know the pairings might be a little troublesome with two sub 6'0 rookie defensemen, but Jones brings such needed offense and puck moving from the back-end, and he's not been bad defensively either.

And its not like the issue of having Lundkvist and Jones is going to be solved by throwing Jones into the AHL to start next season. If he starts well, he'd warrant a quick call up. Is there a big difference pairing two rookie defensemen with each having 10 NHL games? No, so the problem will likely have to be solved going into next season, and the obvious solution is to put Jones with Trouba, and Lundkvist with Miller. I hope we see that.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Will he be in the NHL next season do you guys figure? Sure it seemed as tho he did well to end the season with NYR, but when next year comes around, is he better off in the AHL to start off atleast?... or kind of a wait and see how training camp goes?.. man NYR has alot of impressive young players

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Will he be in the NHL next season do you guys figure? Sure it seemed as tho he did well to end the season with NYR, but when next year comes around, is he better off in the AHL to start off atleast?... or kind of a wait and see how training camp goes?.. man NYR has alot of impressive young players

It's hard to say. He's going to have competition from other young guys, and we'll likely bring in a vet LD.

Miller and Lindgren are likely top 2 LD. Then we've got Jones, Hajek (unless Seattle takes him), Robertson and Reunanen competing for that spot on the 3rd pair. Bitetto will likely still be in the mix, as will whomever they sign, though either could be more of a 6/7.

Of course, this all assumes that none of these players are traded between now and then. Odds are there will be some significant moves made. It wouldn't be surprising if Jones is traded, given all the other dmen we have.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad