LD Zac Jones - UMass (Amherst), NCAA (2019, 68th, NYR)

Washington

May 23, 2019
Washington, DC
bump, anyone have insight on him?
I'm a big fan of his game. He's got decent speed and offensive abilities but he looks best when picking the puck up behind his net and getting it up the ice. When he's set up in the offensive zone he is much more of a passer than a shooter but he does know how to get the puck to the net fairly well. That being said he is good at picking his spots and knowing when to pinch and take the puck deep to set up scoring chances. He was usually paired with Ronnie Attard who is a good 2019 draft prospect himself (although he's 20) but I always came away liking Jones much more. Surprised he isn't on more lists but I have no doubt a team takes him in rounds 3-5.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
The couple of times I have seen him he really stands out with the puck on his stick.
Defensively he plays a basic game and tries to move the puck quickly. Nothing wrong with that--especially for a smallish d-man.
When he has the puck in the neutral or offensive zone he is dynamic. He has great control of both his body and the puck--making quick cuts and weaving between defenders.
I think Jones is a late second or early third round pick.

Reactions: Kaapo Feel

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have a feeling this kid goes a tad bit higher than many are projecting. USHL rookie of the year, won defensive player of the week honors as well mid season..nobody really talking about him, but I can guarantee you he is on every teams radar..moving up every ranking list I have seen, HockeyProspect has him just outside the first 38th I believe..

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
What a pick by the Rangers. Agree with @Pavel Buchnevich, this is a late first / early second type of value in the 3rd round. Great skater, a lot of offensive skill, and while he's not big, he's a pretty feisty type of player at this size, similar to a guy like Krug. He's been one of my favorites and should be a really strong contender to make Team USA at the WJC.

He needs to pick his spots better as he can be a bit careless with the puck but he'll have 2-3 seasons in the NCAA to work on that.

Last edited:

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
My favorite pick of the draft for us (aside from Kakko of course) Jones is so underrated. Cheered when this pick was made

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Is he really as talented as his coach said?
His comments were pretty effusive but to Zac's credit, he has really skyrocketed over the last few years. He's had a great curve developmentally, as a bantam and 15 year old he was kind of over-shadowed by talented teammates but he's always been talented, used to be quite small, since then he has grown and popped as a player. He was the man for his U18 team (alongside Shane Pinto), before his draft year, then he spent just one year in junior hockey and he was an impact player as a rookie. I think he's going to help UMass a lot and in time could be a powerplay, new-era NHL defenseman with great vision/passing and a good skill level.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is he really as talented as his coach said?

This was the quote, for those that don't subscribe.

“He might be the most talented player I’ve ever coached. Kyle Connor is 1A, he’s 1B,” Noreen said of Jones. “He’s a modern-day defenseman. For him to put up 50 points as a rookie defenseman, while going up against other team’s top lines and killing penalties, I think New York is going to look like geniuses in a couple of years.”

Pronman’s NHL prospect impressions: Who is already raising...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00