LD Rasmus Dahlin - Frolunda HC, SHL (2018, 1st, BUF) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Karlsson was drafted 15th after sens traded up, which means it's likely he would've been picked even later. A lot of swedish defensemen have been better than Karlsson in their draft year, so yes it's an empty truism that doesn't say anything about Dahlin. Same thing could be said about Lidström in their respective draft year comparison.

Saying that Dahlin's better than Hedman was in his draft year is both true and says way more about Dahlin's abilities.

Yea that's exactly what I'm trying to say

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Except in this case Karlsson said it
The point is that it doesn't matter if it's the pope saying that, it's obvious because Karlsson's draft year level wasn't that great. It's an empty compliment that doesn't mean a whole lot. It's like saying that a random second-rounder is better than Jamie Benn during his draft year and then proceeding to project them becoming better than Benn.

As has also has been said, saying that Dahlin is better than Hedman pre-draft is a much more meaningful statement, even if Hedman is worse than Karlsson as an NHL player.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Nah it's not. You can make direct comparisons
What, why? Thats just making things easy for yourself. Kinda sounds like a gross generalization.

”Well X player does remind me of Gretzky, but since he plays on big ice and is a euro, lets just pick a euro player from the same league, even though that league may have changed and the players arnt the same either. Lets compare him to, since hes a forward and the general public that follows the NHL kinda only knows them; hes a tad Forsberg, a tad Sundin and a tad Alfredsson!!”

Since most journalist are saying the exact same thing regarding Dahlin, i’d say that your ”direct comparisions”-take on it is BS.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Is it so weird? I think it's only natural to compare u18 SHL players to other u18 SHL players. By all means, this should give us the most accurate comparisons.

The only problem is that the amount of comparables is very small. Dahlin scored 20 points in 41 games. The only defenseman who reasonably recently at a similar age scored in a relatively comparable manner was Adam Larsson, who scored 17 points in 49 games.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Player comparisons to begin with are a bit meaningless, but I think it's silly to restrict comparisons to be within nationalities as it concerns their play on the ice. Players from everywhere look up to players from everywhere, and the game is becoming more and more international every year.

As it concerns the prospect's performance statistically, well, you most likely have to compare them to their countrymen.

Reactions: Habs76

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Is it so weird? I think it's only natural to compare u18 SHL players to other u18 SHL players. By all means, this should give us the most accurate comparisons.

The only problem is that the amount of comparables is very small. Dahlin scored 20 points in 41 games. The only defenseman who reasonably recently at a similar age scored in a relatively comparable manner was Adam Larsson, who scored 17 points in 49 games.
Well, when you start comparing stats, you're starting to sound like that guy that argues that Svechnikov's better than Dahlin and should go #1 instead.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Player comparisons to begin with are a bit meaningless, but I think it's silly to restrict comparisons to be within nationalities as it concerns their play on the ice. Players from everywhere look up to players from everywhere, and the game is becoming more and more international every year.

As it concerns the prospect's performance statistically, well, you most likely have to compare them to their countrymen.
I agree that it's meaningless. If theres a promising swedish D, he's instantly compared to Lidström. That's just ridiculous.

I don't agree on the stats part. Sure, it's easy to compare Dahlins numbers to Hedmans, but you have to look at the way that Dahlin accumulated those points as well

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I agree that it's meaningless. If theres a promising swedish D, he's instantly compared to Lidström. That's just ridiculous.

I don't agree on the stats part. Sure, it's easy to compare Dahlins numbers to Hedmans, but you have to look at the way that Dahlin accumulated those points as well

I agree with your disagreement. Especially with hockey data being what it is, you really do need the eye test at the moment. I was just saying that...well, who else's statistical performance are you going to compare Dahlin's to than other swedish defencemen?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I agree with your disagreement. Especially with hockey data being what it is, you really do need the eye test at the moment. I was just saying that...well, who else's statistical performance are you going to compare Dahlin's to than other swedish defencemen?

This sounds good enough to me!

Meet Swedish defenceman Rasmus Dahlin, the 17-year-old scouts say will be better than Erik Karlsson

“Compared to guys like Erik Karlsson and Victor Hedman, this guy is better,” said Anders Forsberg, a former Ottawa Senators scout who drafted Karlsson and coached Hedman and Ekman-Larsson as junior-aged players. “I had a lot to do with Hedman and know him like a friend also, but this is better. I coached Oliver Ekman-Larsson. He was not even close to this. This is something special.”

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
What, why? Thats just making things easy for yourself. Kinda sounds like a gross generalization.

”Well X player does remind me of Gretzky, but since he plays on big ice and is a euro, lets just pick a euro player from the same league, even though that league may have changed and the players arnt the same either. Lets compare him to, since hes a forward and the general public that follows the NHL kinda only knows them; hes a tad Forsberg, a tad Sundin and a tad Alfredsson!!”

Since most journalist are saying the exact same thing regarding Dahlin, i’d say that your ”direct comparisions”-take on it is BS.
What? No, it's just more accurate. A player putting up 0.5 PPG in Liiga, a 0.5 PPG in the Q and a 0.5 PPG in the KHL are all insanely different,

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, when you start comparing stats, you're starting to sound like that guy that argues that Svechnikov's better than Dahlin and should go #1 instead.
Stat comparisons between defensemen is a pretty good indicator. Stats outdid NHL scouts with players like Gostisbehere for instance and as a whole, drafting defensemen by nothing but point scoring has also done slightly better than NHL GMs.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Stat comparisons between defensemen is a pretty good indicator. Stats outdid NHL scouts with players like Gostisbehere for instance and as a whole, drafting defensemen by nothing but point scoring has also done slightly better than NHL GMs.
Its easy to generalize, but you cant just say: ”Hey, look at Rundblad scoring, that will translate to the NHL, I guarentee it! Hes outproducing Erik Karlsson, he’ll be miles better!”, just because they developed in the same league

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Its easy to generalize, but you cant just say: ”Hey, look at Rundblad scoring, that will translate to the NHL, I guarentee it! Hes outproducing Erik Karlsson, he’ll be miles better!”, just because they developed in the same league
I doubt anyone's saying that. If you really don't know how to evaluate scoring without resorting to ridiculous strawmen, I can't help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad