LD Philip Broberg - Skellefteå AIK, SHL (2019, 8th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I'm very excited about Broberg's start.

One more note about the 4 points in 3 games:
He is leading all under 20 Swedes so far in points in SHL, thats forwards and defensemen. Hopefully he keeps this up!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Picked up an assist on the PP today.

5 points in 8 games in the SHL. Looking excellent out there. Very confident with the puck and making the right reads passing as well as skating.

Looks absolutely massive out there, legitimately in terms of size looks like a faster skating Hedman in the SHL.

He’s routinely playing the most minutes on his team as a teenagers don’t on the 1st D pairing and PP1. The strides he’s made since his draft are more than exceeding expectations.

Watching him in the SHL you can see he has clear top pairing upside. He’s a fun player to watch.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

5 points in 8 games in the SHL. Looking excellent out there. Very confident with the puck and making the right reads passing as well as skating.

Looks absolutely massive out there, legitimately in terms of size looks like a faster skating Hedman in the SHL.

He’s routinely playing the most minutes on his team as a teenagers don’t on the 1st D pairing and PP1. The strides he’s made since his draft are more than exceeding expectations.

Watching him in the SHL you can see he has clear top pairing upside. He’s a fun player to watch.
So excited about this kid, Samo and Bouchard. Oilers defense looking to be a strength for the first time since I’ve been a fan (2006).

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So excited about this kid, Samo and Bouchard. Oilers defense looking to be a strength for the first time since I’ve been a fan (2006).

Easily. We haven’t had this many good young D in the Oilers system since the 1980s. Literally been decades. Broberg to me has the highest upside.

He has has true all situations #1 D upside. His decision making with the puck and in transition are real bright spots and an area he’s vastly improved on his passing on the breakout. He’s making the right reads snapping the puck up ice or using his wonderful skating to transport the puck out. You just don’t see guys that big that are that good of skaters very often.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Easily. We haven’t had this many good young D in the Oilers system since the 1980s. Literally been decades. Broberg to me has the highest upside.

He has has true all situations #1 D upside. His decision making with the puck and in transition are real bright spots and an area he’s vastly improved on his passing on the breakout. He’s making the right reads snapping the puck up ice or using his wonderful skating to transport the puck out. You just don’t see guys that big that are that good of skaters very often.

I always felt he had the tools to be a #1 D in the NHL despite some folks saying he doesn't. How has his defensive play been this season?

Thanks.

Reactions: snipes

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Pitkanen, Gilbert, Smid, Grebeshkov, Greene with Petry still in college was probably the last time.

That team had Souray also. Lubo was a year later. Taylor Chorney was somewhat regarded too as a dark horse. I also remember Brandon Davidson playing a game or two for the Barons alongside Petry and looking great.

Every player above was traded away for a shinier new toy :(

Reactions: Aerchon

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I always felt he had the tools to be a #1 D in the NHL despite some folks saying he doesn't. How has his defensive play been this season?

Thanks.

@ConnorMcMullet has watched every single game pretty much. He’s a detailed oriented guy, he can probably answer this a bit better.

From what I’ve seen he has very strong positioning. Good gap control, strong stickwork. I’d like to see him be a little more physical in the corners. He’s almost 6’5 now he looks like an absolute monster on the ice, he’s definitely taller than Nurse on the ice who is listed at 6’4.

A better skating Hedman is what he looks like physically from a size perspective. I would like to see him use that size a bit more in a punishing manner on opposing forwards. Frankly, the SHL just isn’t as physical of a league it’s a more skill driven league.

All in all being on the top pairing as a teenager in the SHL is very impressive and the raw numbers are starting to show his level of dominance. He’s been very impressive to watch.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

His point totals could have been more gaudy too. He got absolutely robbed of two goals 2 games ago, one by a defenseman and one by the goalie. His offensive confidence is night and day higher this season and he has seemingly earned the trust of his coaches in offensive situations as a result.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes and voxel

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
@ConnorMcMullet has watched every single game pretty much. He’s a detailed oriented guy, he can probably answer this a bit better.

From what I’ve seen he has very strong positioning. Good gap control, strong stickwork. I’d like to see him be a little more physical in the corners. He’s almost 6’5 now he looks like an absolute monster on the ice, he’s definitely taller than Nurse on the ice who is listed at 6’4.

A better skating Hedman is what he looks like physically from a size perspective. I would like to see him use that size a bit more in a punishing manner on opposing forwards. Frankly, the SHL just isn’t as physical of a league it’s a more skill driven league.

All in all being on the top pairing as a teenager in the SHL is very impressive and the raw numbers are starting to show his level of dominance. He’s been very impressive to watch.

How's his shooting been? This covers 2/3 concerns I had with him - decision making, passing, and shot. I always saw that he was a great skater with size and pretty good instinct for openings in play. Great to hear how he's done so far - if he keeps this up all season, wow.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Honest to goodness I think our prospect D group is the best that it's ever been in the entire history of the franchise. You could literally build an entire 1-7 group in house between the young guys we have in the league already and what's in the pipeline.

Forward and G ...ehhhhh... but a full draft of forwards does help. Just need a Lavoie, Tullio, or Savoie to hit...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Honest to goodness I think our prospect D group is the best that it's ever been in the entire history of the franchise. You could literally build an entire 1-7 group in house between the young guys we have in the league already and what's in the pipeline.

Forward and G ...ehhhhh... but a full draft of forwards does help. Just need a Lavoie, Tullio, or Savoie to hit...

Yeah, forward and goalie not so great. Likely lower half of the NHL in terms of forward and goalie prospects. I really like Savoie, Holloway, and Tullio from this draft though. Holland obviously sensed the same need as he drafted all forwards this draft. Holloway fits a need as a power forward winger who can reign down havoc on the forecheck, those types of big, fast, and physical wingers mesh well with McDavid.

Our D prospects are phenomenal and I've been very harsh on our D core over the years. I would say the Oilers have the best D prospect pool in the NHL with Makar graduating from the Avs system. The Rangers and Devils have some good D prospects too but when you're looking at Broberg, Bouchard, and Samorukov that is 3 high end D prospects even with Bear and Jones graduating. I don't think any other team matches the high end top prospects or the depth in the system at D. Forwards on the other hand is another discussion...

To me, Broberg has true #1 all situations upside in a way the other D prospects don't though. He's the crown jewel here if it all keeps coming together the way it is. He's exceeding all expectations, he's likely in the NHL as soon as the SHL season is completed.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, forward and goalie not so great. Likely lower half of the NHL in terms of forward and goalie prospects. I really like Savoie, Holloway, and Tullio from this draft though. Holland obviously sensed the same need as he drafted all forwards this drafts. Holloway fits a need as a power forward winger who can reign down havoc on the forecheck, those types of big, fast, and physical wingers mesh well with McDavid.

Our D prospects are phenomenal and I've been very harsh on our D core over the years. I would say the Oilers have the best D prospect pool in the NHL with Makar graduating from the Avs system. The Rangers and Devils have some good D prospects too but when you're looking at Broberg, Bouchard, and Samorukov that is 3 high end D prospects even with Bear and Jones graduating. I don't think any other team matches the high end top prospects or the depth in the system at D. Forwards on the other hand is another discussion...

To me, Broberg has true #1 all situations upside in a way the other D prospects don't though. He's the crown jewel here if it all keeps coming together the way it is. He's exceeding all expectations, he's likely in the NHL as soon as the SHL season is completed.

Yup I agree. I wanted Zegras with that pick, but between Broberg's progression and Klefbom's career in jeopardy it's looking like a sharp add.

I even think guys like Phil Kemp and Mike Kesselring are being slept on a little bit, they're solid prospects that I hope we sign

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yup I agree. I wanted Zegras with that pick, but between Broberg's progression and Klefbom's career in jeopardy it's looking like a sharp add.

I even think guys like Phil Kemp and Mike Kesselring are being slept on a little bit, they're solid prospects that I hope we sign

Lagesson is close to NHL ready as well and Berglund is a good prospect too. Lagesson will likely be the #7 D man coming out of camp.

There are a number of guys with NHL upside in the system, even if it's only as a bottom pairing D man beyond Broberg, Bouchard, and Samorukov. Kemp and Kesselring are long shots, but for Kemp it's pretty easy to see him making as a bottom pairing, tough shut down type D man after some AHL seasoning when he's done at Yale.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Yeah, his defensive game has been very solid thus far in the SHL. If I remember correctly, Broberg has only been on for 1 or 2 goals against at even strength over the course of 8 games. Strong positioning as you mentioned and his stickwork has been what's impressed me the most. Combine that with his insane reach and you get yourself a player with a lot of potential defensively. The main negative I've noticed with him in the defensive zone is that he can get caught flat-footed. Usually his reach and skating allow him to recover, but it's something he could look to improve upon as he develops.

Someone else in this thread mentioned his shot. If you've watched Broberg since junior, you'll know that his wrist shot is a strength of his, maybe his most dangerous offensive weapon after his skating. That hasn't changed; Broberg does a good job of generating rebounds with his wrist shot. His slapshot, however, is what has impressed me this season. He scored his only goal so far by walking into a big clapper and nearly had another last game.

The last thing I want to touch on is his decision making, which seems to have taken a step forward this season. Broberg does a good job of knowing when to use his skating and skill to generate an offensive chance and when to take a step back and make the simple play, something he has had an issue with in the past.

And as you and others have mentioned, he definitely looks like he's 6'4 or 6'5 now.

All in all, very impressive for a guy that just turned 19.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Great first pass here to start the breakout. Broberg looks pretty good with the puck on his stick imo, a little weaker on the defensive side. Was unable to tie up a stick in front of the net on one goal against. Also had a pretty bad crash into the boards while rushing back to defend a 2-on-1, was slow to get up but seems to be fine.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Broberg was drafted a couple picks after but how does he compare to Seider?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Broberg was drafted a couple picks after but how does he compare to Seider?
I've been watching a lot of both this season and I think Seider is definitely on a different level.
That's not a knock on Broberg though who looks promising. He just has way more mistakes and needs to clean up his defense a lot.

Broberg, like Seider, has great tools but is way more raw at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad