LD Pavel Mintyukov (2022, 10th, ANA)

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Overall, the draft was pretty poor quality, not just the first pick.
Again, based on what? Because actual on-ice development of the drafted players definitely points otherwise. So where is perception coming from? Funny you critique NHL teams for nepotism and corruption while throwing around random generalizations yourself that don't hold up against even the most superficial evidence.

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
Again, based on what? Because actual on-ice development of the drafted players definitely points otherwise. So where is perception coming from? Funny you critique NHL teams for nepotism and corruption while throwing around random generalizations yourself that don't hold up against even the most superficial evidence.
Are you trolling, dude? Other than Mintyukov and Poitras, no one plays a major role on NHL teams.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Are you trolling, dude? Other than Mintyukov and Poitras, no one plays a major role on NHL teams.
Wow, you aren't even trying. Korchinski plays ~20 minutes per night, Cooley is a top-6 center, 17 minutes last night, Slaf and Jiricek are roster players every night. That's 6.

By the same count 2021 draft features 9 "major role" players in the NHL and that's counting 23-year-old Moser. So no, I'm not trolling, more like you are completely out of your depth.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Wow, you aren't even trying. Korchinski plays ~20 minutes per night, Cooley is a top-6 center, 17 minutes last night, Slaf and Jiricek are roster players every night. That's 6.

By the same count 2021 draft features 9 "major role" players in the NHL and that's counting 23-year-old Moser. So no, I'm not trolling, more like you are completely out of your depth.
In his defense, 2021 is considered a weak draft by the same people that think 2022 is. No "Elite" player with potential to be a top 10 player in the league. But that doesn't make a draft bad. Just lacking an elite prospect.

I think it is bullshit personally to make that call considering they are only in their D+3/D+2. The Ducks are happy with their return in both "weak" drafts lol

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
People down on Drysdale because he hasn't played much due to injury. Probably will be a coin toss who ends up better. Or maybe Drysdale will be neidermeyer to mintyukovs pronger like in the good ol days.
Is it really injury? I'm under impression Drysdale never looked as good in the NHL as Mintyukov looks right now.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Is it really injury? I'm under impression Drysdale never looked as good in the NHL as Mintyukov looks right now.

Drysdale looked great this year when he played…. Prob best on our defense.

He had a bad year last year under Eakins, but Eakins managed to make prime lindholm look like a bum, only for him to go to Boston and get 4th in Norris voting.

Drysdale will be very good as long as he can avoid injuries.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Drysdale has forsure had good games. I think the complaint/concern is that he could never be a true top pairing guy because he lacked size/physical play and shot. He would be another Fowler where he is better as a secondary guy.

Whereas with Mintyukov, you have the same dynamic skating as Drysdale, but he seems more polished defensively, he is actually very physical, and seems to make better decisions on when to jump up in the play.

So comparing 19 year old Drysdale to 19 year old Minty, ya it isn't close. Minty is by far better. But the truth is we havn't seen Drysdale play since he was 19 and he is still only 21 lol. Drysdale looked really good at the start of the season, probably the best on the team. He was playing more physical and carrying Fowler who started the year TERRIBLE.

If Drysdale can stay healthy and keep playing the way he was at the start of the year then the Ducks are in great shape.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Slaf shouldn't be a roster player he sucks beyond comprehension. Lets not use the Habs mismanagement of him as an argument that the draft is good, please.

Reactions: DatDude44

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013

Chicago is a joke team, deliberately designed to lose, no other team in the NHL would play him. Cooly is in the third line.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012

Even if Drysdales Rookie season was slightly worse than how minty has been playing, its difficult to project them out 5 years with the variance, given they both have high end skills. But 30+ points by a 19 year old Drysdale is a high end accomplishment and fairly rare, for a teenage dman.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chicago is a joke team, deliberately designed to lose, no other team in the NHL would play him. Cooly is in the third line.
2 years after the 2019 draft the only players in the NHL fulltime were Hughes, Kakko, Zegras, Cozens and Dach (Byram injured as well(. That didn't mean the 2019 draft was weak.

What an awful way of critiquing a draft class by using who is playing major roles as 19 year olds. Just like 2019, and every draft, there will be impact guys coming in over the next 3 years.

Reactions: Hawkster58

GaboriklessWild

Oct 20, 2013
2 years after the 2019 draft the only players in the NHL fulltime were Hughes, Kakko, Zegras, Cozens and Dach (Byram injured as well(. That didn't mean the 2019 draft was weak.

What an awful way of critiquing a draft class by using who is playing major roles as 19 year olds. Just like 2019, and every draft, there will be impact guys coming in over the next 3 years.
Maybe the 2020-21 season was interrupted by a pandemic, right?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He was seen as a high upside guy with some potential risk. There were some legitimate questions about how the defensive side of his game would look at the next level, which can be really tough to evaluate on top end defensive prospects, because they're so dominant against their peers that they can get away with playing mediocre defense. It's sometimes hard to tell if a guy is truly a poor defensive player, or if he's just playing a looser game because he can. I had similar concerns with Charlie McAvoy, as did many in the scouting community, which contributed to him falling to 14th in 2016. But it quickly became apparent that he was able to dial in his defensive game when the level of competition called for it, and has exceeded all expectations because of that.

I think the same sort of thing happened with Minty. And while 2022 might end up being a weaker draft for forwards, it was a really strong draft for defenseman. Look at some of the names from the first 2 rounds:

Nemec
Jiricek
Korchinski
Mintyukov
Luneau
Casey
Mateychuk
Hutson
Bichsel
Lamoureux

I think there's a good chance Minty becomes the best dman from his draft, and I'm actually liking the McAvoy comparison, I think he's got that sort of upside.

Which players drafted ahead of him were drafted because of corruption or nepotism? Teams make mistakes, even when picking way up in the draft. Just look at the 1OA pick in 2022. Obviously Montreal made a mistake drafting Slafkovsky at 1, and I'd take Minty over him for sure, but it wasn't because they were corrupt. They just overvalued his performance in a couple of short, watered down international tournaments.

So I have no issues with questioning the competence of NHL drafting, as I do think there are a lot of teams that struggle making the right decisions for many reasons. I just don't see corruption or nepotism being on that list, at least not for top picks (I've seen 7th rounders used on nepo picks but I've never seen a team waste a 1st round pick in such a way).
I forget which scout said it, but they talked to mintyukov’s junior coach and in his “defensive lapses” he was actually doing well exactly what the coach wanted in that situation ie playing the system the coach wanted exactly as he was coached to do

Rooch

Jul 22, 2021
I recall when Red Wings fans started talking up Seider for the Calder, and I didn't see how a defenseman could have as big an impact on his team as, say, Zegras had on his. But Mintyukov has shown me the light. Aside from Vatrano and McTavish, he's been the most consistent player on the team. Works his butt off every shift and seems to have a penchant for finishing his checks. Love the player, and apologies to Seider fans.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I forget which scout said it, but they talked to mintyukov’s junior coach and in his “defensive lapses” he was actually doing well exactly what the coach wanted in that situation ie playing the system the coach wanted exactly as he was coached to do
Yea it was mostly systematic issues defensively... people thought his defense was questionable because he was deployed as essentially a 4th forward in saginaw.

If russia played in world juniors, i think that myth would have not existed.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Drysdale has forsure had good games. I think the complaint/concern is that he could never be a true top pairing guy because he lacked size/physical play and shot. He would be another Fowler where he is better as a secondary guy.

Whereas with Mintyukov, you have the same dynamic skating as Drysdale, but he seems more polished defensively, he is actually very physical, and seems to make better decisions on when to jump up in the play.

So comparing 19 year old Drysdale to 19 year old Minty, ya it isn't close. Minty is by far better. But the truth is we havn't seen Drysdale play since he was 19 and he is still only 21 lol. Drysdale looked really good at the start of the season, probably the best on the team. He was playing more physical and carrying Fowler who started the year TERRIBLE.

If Drysdale can stay healthy and keep playing the way he was at the start of the year then the Ducks are in great shape.
See Quinn Hughes.

you guys are underrating Drysdale, just need a stretch of healthy games to start trusting his body.

Reactions: lwvs84

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
See Quinn Hughes.

you guys are underrating Drysdale, just need a stretch of healthy games to start trusting his body.
I like Drysdale and really hope he can survive the NHL, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
This guy is fabulous. So much fun to watch. Ducks are climbing fast because of young guys like him

This guy is fabulous. So much fun to watch. Ducks are climbing fast because of young guys likevhim

I would say adding him and Lacombe and having them be impactful has had more effect on the team than anything else. Throw in Gudas and hopefully Drysdale and it's like a complete remake of the D. Young mistakes will be made, but at least they make up for it by doing good things too.

They were so unable to transition the puck last year that it just constantly tilted the ice ... many periods last season were spent just chipping the puck out and giving it back to the other team. Now they can actually make some passes and head the other way. They can also keep pucks in the offensive zone more often. It's no wonder their forwards look better as a result.

I've always felt that if you're a talented young forward like a Zegras or McTavish, you're much better off playing with a good D and mediocre linemates, rather than good linemates and a dumpster fire D. Crap D can absolutely kill your offense ... I think the Sharks are finding that out now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad