LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Brandt Clarke's a wonderful player, we don't have to make up superlatives to make his name pop even more

Reactions: Dominance

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Curious to see how people view Owen Power vs. Jamie Drysdale.

Are they in the same tier? If Owen Power wasn't a late birthday, how would he stack up in this draft class?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Are they in the same tier? If Owen Power wasn't a late birthday, how would he stack up in this draft class?

This is only my opinion, but I see them in the same tier. I think Power's slightly better, but it's not a big difference between the two. If Power was 2020 draft eligible, I think he would have an argument to go 1st, and would be at worst the second best player in the 2020 draft.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
This is only my opinion, but I see them in the same tier. I think Power's slightly better, but it's not a big difference between the two. If Power was 2020 draft eligible, I think he would have an argument to go 1st, and would be at worst the second best player in the 2020 draft.
Was his season really clearly better than Byfield’s, as two similarly-aged players in relatively comparable leagues?

I think that he would be at least clearly a top-5 prospect, with far fewer question marks than all of the high-potential players currently slotted after the big three forwards, but I don’t think it would be a guarantee or even necessarily likely he’d go before Byfield and Stutzle. And even being a full year younger, and having had a good season, I don’t think anyone would have him ahead of Lafreniere, who’s just too much of a proven star to pass on at this point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was his season really clearly better than Byfield’s, as two similarly-aged players in relatively comparable leagues?

I think that he would be at least clearly a top-5 prospect, with far fewer question marks than all of the high-potential players currently slotted after the big three forwards, but I don’t think it would be a guarantee or even necessarily likely he’d go before Byfield and Stutzle. And even being a full year younger, and having had a good season, I don’t think anyone would have him ahead of Lafreniere, who’s just too much of a proven star to pass on at this point.

His coach said he was the best player on the clear best team in the league. Coaches often don’t single out one player over the others. I don’t know if his season was so much better or any better than Byfield. I think he played good enough to compete with the season of any top player from the 2020 draft. At a certain point, the skillset matters more than who had a slightly better season than who against inferior competition.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Hard to compare forwards to defense but Power certainly did enough to be in contention for a top pick next year. Glad he got the invite to Canadian WJSS camp. It means he is now on the radar for World Junior as he should be.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Then I asked Michigan associate head coach Bill Muckalt for his early impressions.
“I’ll tell you this, we were having a conversation as a staff and I don’t know how you overlook a guy that’s probably like a Victor Hedman or a Chris Pronger type,” Muckalt said. “I don’t know how you pass on a guy that’s going to be on a top D pairing for 15-20 years.”

Wheeler: Preseason ranking for the 2021 NHL Draft's top 32 prospects

Reactions: grentthealien

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Michigan coaches have not been slowing down they hype of power at all. Also these upcoming michigan teams are going be silly, like all time talented for college hockey.

They won't be as good as you think they should be. You win in college hockey with older players, not a roster of transitory first round picks (as crazy as that seems). For the record I am a big Michigan fan.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Michigan coaches have not been slowing down they hype of power at all. Also these upcoming michigan teams are going be silly, like all time talented for college hockey.

They will be very talented. But it is still a significant jump for most of them to the college level. We will see how they adjust

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Interesting that Wheeler stated there are 5 defenders in the 2021 draft that, as of this point anyways, look to be at least equal to if not better than Drysdale in 2020 and Byram in 2019. After a couple of weak defensive years, 2021 looks flush with elite blue chip defenders. I assume he means Clarke, Power, Edvinsson, Lambos and Hughes. Is that an overstatement or seem realistic? I assume Clarke is clearly above Drysdale as a prospect? Is Lambos an equal prospect to Byram out of the WHL? Is Luke the best US defensive prospect since his brother even above Sanderson?

Reactions: kilowatt

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Power is in his D minus 1 and has tools that Drysdale wishes he had.

In a year with average to good D, Drysdale isn't a top 10 pick. (2018, 2019).
Power is a guy who would be a top 5 pick in just about any draft year.;

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I’m going to have to disagree. Maybe the top two guys, but outside of that, not so much.

I'd have Drysdale as a pretty comparable to LHughes. Some players, like Powers, I have with clear offensive upside advantage over Drysdale but not as many as Wheeler thinks. I also completely disagree with his assessment of Raty but that's a whole other thing lol

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Skeptical of any scout's bonafides who makes a statement like that. A lot of twitter scouting is this.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I think they’re quite close as well, but I think I prefer Drysdale to Power, I always thought he was the more impressive player in minor midget in the same league, then drysdale has been exceptional in a better league then Power, and making the WJC at 17 speaks for itself. Not taking anything away from Power who is a great prospect with loads of upside. Such a good skater and puck handler, and he’s a really determined player.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Power
————
Clarke
Lambos
————
Hughes

This is the ranking for me right now. Haven’t watched Edvinsson

SenSaddest

Jan 31, 2015
I've skated in the summer with this kid the last 2 years. His maturity and calmness under pressure is fantastic . Putting on size too, wins some puck battles against nhl guys. Shot is alright, nothing earth shattering but his hands allow him to work really well in tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad