LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
From the little I've seen, Power seems to be the favourite for #1 overall in 2021.

Between him, Clarke, and Lambos, Canada will have an insane crop of high-end defensemen next year.

Going into their draft seasons, I think it's between Power, Clarke and to a lesser extent, Johnson. I'd have it Clarke, Power, Johnson in that order right now because I think Clarke is a little more of a natural right now with what he brings. The tools are presently better and involve less projection. He brings a dynamic impact immediately. I think Power is a little more about projection. He's not as flashy, but he is definitely very good. I think if you're taking him ahead of Clarke, it's a ceiling-based argument that because he's a 6'6 defensemen who doesn't have any real weaknesses, and that gives him more potential than a 6'1 guy who has some questioning his skating. I don't buy that argument, which is why I have Clarke ahead, but surely it's close between the two.

I like Johnson, as well. Enough that I think he has a chance at 1OA, but I think there are enough questions about the full toolset that you have to question if you are getting a 1C thats going to play 20 minutes and all situations within 3-4 years. There's a chance he's only a very flashy 60 or so point winger. Can he prove during his draft season that these types of questions aren't valid? If he can, some will make the center over defensemen argument. I like Lambos, but I just don't see the offensive game as the other two defensemen. To me his range is more 5-10 going into his draft year.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Going back to minor midget, he was considered a top 3/4 Dman and an easy top 10 pick. I had him ranked after Drysdale and Moore.

USHL means less hype...I remember hearing whispers about Power's smooth skating back in minor bantam.

Reactions: Dominance

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
OH and here's the big one: The GTHL is the most competitive minor hockey league in the North America, so it's where a good amount of top kids come from. Buuuuuuut they're one of the few leagues that doesn't release stats. What that means is G players, unless they're Shane Wright types, don't get thrown on to mock drafts like 3/4 years out.

A good exercise for this: Go check out 2023 mock drafts people do on this forum. You won't find 05 GTHL players listed. Unless you're watching the games, you won't know about these players till they're drafted into the OHL. Owen Power never played in the OHL.

*GTHL releases stats at seasons end for some teams in minor midget.

Reactions: Dominance

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Going into their draft seasons, I think it's between Power, Clarke and to a lesser extent, Johnson. I'd have it Clarke, Power, Johnson in that order right now because I think Clarke is a little more of a natural right now with what he brings. The tools are presently better and involve less projection. He brings a dynamic impact immediately. I think Power is a little more about projection. He's not as flashy, but he is definitely very good. I think if you're taking him ahead of Clarke, it's a ceiling-based argument that because he's a 6'6 defensemen who doesn't have any real weaknesses, and that gives him more potential than a 6'1 guy who has some questioning his skating. I don't buy that argument, which is why I have Clarke ahead, but surely it's close between the two.

I like Johnson, as well. Enough that I think he has a chance at 1OA, but I think there are enough questions about the full toolset that you have to question if you are getting a 1C thats going to play 20 minutes and all situations within 3-4 years. There's a chance he's only a very flashy 60 or so point winger. Can he prove during his draft season that these types of questions aren't valid? If he can, some will make the center over defensemen argument. I like Lambos, but I just don't see the offensive game as the other two defensemen. To me his range is more 5-10 going into his draft year.
Sounds like Chris Pronger

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sounds like Chris Pronger

Hedman, Pronger. Something like that is the comparable. I think he has excellent hands for someone his size, but outside of that, the rest of his tools seems good, probably not elite. If he was 6'0, maybe he's only in the 5-15 range of NHL picks. But being 6'6 in the NHL without any real tool weakness is a big advantage. He's a well-rounded player. Not EK type, not Manson type. Two-way all situations type. Probably PK1, PP1, ES TOI leader. Thats his ceiling. And this is a kid with a long track record of success. He's not particularly raw, which is very unusual for a player his size.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
OH and here's the big one: The GTHL is the most competitive minor hockey league in the North America, so it's where a good amount of top kids come from. Buuuuuuut they're one of the few leagues that doesn't release stats. What that means is G players, unless they're Shane Wright types, don't get thrown on to mock drafts like 3/4 years out.

A good exercise for this: Go check out 2023 mock drafts people do on this forum. You won't find 05 GTHL players listed. Unless you're watching the games, you won't know about these players till they're drafted into the OHL. Owen Power never played in the OHL.

*GTHL releases stats at seasons end for some teams in minor midget.
To be honest, putting significant value in GTHL numbers (or any league of that level) is generally futile. Guys play on stacked teams like the Marlies riding coat-tails of some future star, the actual quality control of the stats is a mess (games get missed, tacky 2nd assists tacked on, etc). This isn't exclusive to the GTHL and applies to essentially all minor hockey. It is why all future lists by primarily people who rely on elite and maybe a full game somewhere but mostly stats and highlights are a complete mess before they step into junior. To be honest, I don't take any future draft takes seriously until about February of the year before the draft (considering the amount of 16-year-olds who have only played about 5 months of junior), and even then I'm not really looking heavily at any projection for a class until atleast after Hlinka of their draft year. You can get a loose idea on some kids and maybe the top 3 or 4 before then. But, everything after that is a mess.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hedman, Pronger. Something like that is the comparable. I think he has excellent hands for someone his size, but outside of that, the rest of his tools seems good, probably not elite. If he was 6'0, maybe he's only in the 5-15 range of NHL picks. But being 6'6 in the NHL without any real tool weakness is a big advantage. He's a well-rounded player. Not EK type, not Manson type. Two-way all situations type. Probably PK1, PP1, ES TOI leader. Thats his ceiling. And this is a kid with a long track record of success. He's not particularly raw, which is very unusual for a player his size.
Hope Habs get a shot at him next year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
and not even on a stacked team like the NTDP.

Chicago Steel this year were probably the best team ever in the history of the league, at least pre-playoffs. They had a historic season. He played on a powerhouse. I’m surprised there are still people that follow junior hockey and don’t know this. They are the premier team in the USHL last season and going forward.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
How good is this kid? Could he go 1st overall? He put up a ton of points for his D-1 year, and not even on a stacked team like the NTDP.

Just seems like there isn't a lot of hype for such a high end Canadian player.

He's very highly touted and hyped but most Canadian followers don't watch the USHL. If the NCAA season happens, he'll get a lot more publicity playing for Michigan if he continues to perform.

But it's not correct to say he was "not even on a stacked team." Chicago was a powerhouse team and absolutely stacked. Arguably one of the best teams ever in the USHL. They won 41 of their 49 games and were loaded with high quality players and prospects like Brisson, Colangelo, Farrell, Samoskevich, Coronato, etc. That team was beyond stacked.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
How good is this kid? Could he go 1st overall? He put up a ton of points for his D-1 year, and not even on a stacked team like the NTDP.

Just seems like there isn't a lot of hype for such a high end Canadian player.

Absolutely he could. His potential is as an all utility type 1st pairing Dman. He can run your PP, be effective on your PK, shut down opposing lines....he literally can do it all. Consider that he was the best Dman in the U last year as a 17 year old. Now he may not end up as your top scoring Dman in the NHL and doesn't have the offensive creativity as say a Q Hughes but he very well may end up as the best overall Dman in the league. So yeah, he's that good.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Absolutely he could. His potential is as an all utility type 1st pairing Dman. He can run your PP, be effective on your PK, shut down opposing lines....he literally can do it all. Consider that he was the best Dman in the U last year as a 17 year old. Now he may not end up as your top scoring Dman in the NHL and doesn't have the offensive creativity as say a Q Hughes but he very well may end up as the best overall Dman in the league. So yeah, he's that good.

I second this.

I'd say an NHL comparable for his potential is definitely Hedman. Very good skater for a big man, pinpoint passer, and probably has a better shot at the same age. Very smart 3 zone player that's good at reading the play. Also not afraid to use his size. He'll challenge for a top 3 pick in next year's draft. He won't be flashy but he'll be super effective.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Chicago Steel this year were probably the best team ever in the history of the league, at least pre-playoffs. They had a historic season. He played on a powerhouse. I’m surprised there are still people that follow junior hockey and don’t know this. They are the premier team in the USHL last season and going forward.
They were definitely the premier team in the USHL last season, but going forward? Power, Brisson, Colangelo, Farrell, Fontaine, St. Phalle, and Coronato are all graduating to the NCAA next season. They were the top-7 point scorers on the Steel this year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Where have you heard people question Brandt Clarke's skating? He's in the upper tier of skaters for the OHL and I've heard someone say it's even better than Drysdale's.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
They were definitely the premier team in the USHL last season, but going forward? Power, Brisson, Colangelo, Farrell, Fontaine, St. Phalle, and Coronato are all graduating to the NCAA next season. They were the top-7 point scorers on the Steel this year.

True but they will reload. They already tendered the Fantilli brothers

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Coronato returns for the upcoming season. You are right about the other 7, but their powerhouse status is not so much having a great group this season, it's that they are the best in the league with evaluating talent, drafting talent, and recruiting talent to play for them.

Not only does Coronato return, but Samoskevich returns. He has a good chance to lead the league in scoring. He played a small role last season, but he's the most naturally talented offensive player they had on the roster last season. Playing a big role, he will be a star. Having those two returning is already a good start, but they also return Ryan Ufko, whose going to be a mid-round pick next year, if not higher. And a guy like Dawson Pasternak also will have a chance to be picked.

They have a lot of good incoming players though. They are bringing in both Fantili brothers. Adam will have a chance to be one of the stars of the USHL next season, and Luca's not a bad player himself. Jake Livanavage will also be a 16 year old rookie, and he's highly touted on defense. They also are bringing in two of the better 2020 draft-eligible Americans, playing High School or Prep, Ian Moore and Matthew Gleason. I think both will be drafted. Moore could be a 2nd rounder. Jimi Suomi is a Finnish defenseman they are bringing in. He has a chance to be an early/mid round pick next year.

They might be bringing in Luke Levandowski, a highly touted High School player for the 2021 draft. The Laylin brothers are both supposedly pretty good players, and I think there's a chance both will show up next year. Jason Marsella is a highly touted 2021 draft eligible that might be coming in next season. Brendan Brisson's younger brother is a Chicago pick, and he will probably join at some point. And I think what probably most demonstrates their smart drafting is picking Matthew Beniers with a later pick in the USHL Draft this year. Now Ivy League sports are cancelled, and he needs somewhere to play next season. For future seasons, they also have the rights to Lambert and Michkov. They know what they're doing.

We don't know the exact roster yet, but it's going to be the same it was this year. Probably around 10 picks/future picks on the roster. It'll be a good team, and I expect them to be one of the best teams in the league next season, if not the very best.

@tealhockey would know more about these players than I would, so he could probably provide some input on some of their incoming players for next season and future seasons.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Coronato returns for the upcoming season. You are right about the other 7, but their powerhouse status is not so much having a great group this season, it's that they are the best in the league with evaluating talent, drafting talent, and recruiting talent to play for them.

Not only does Coronato return, but Samoskevich returns. He has a good chance to lead the league in scoring. He played a small role last season, but he's the most naturally talented offensive player they had on the roster last season. Playing a big role, he will be a star. Having those two returning is already a good start, but they also return Ryan Ufko, whose going to be a mid-round pick next year, if not higher. And a guy like Dawson Pasternak also will have a chance to be picked.

They have a lot of good incoming players though. They are bringing in both Fantili brothers. Adam will have a chance to be one of the stars of the USHL next season, and Luca's not a bad player himself. Jake Livanavage will also be a 16 year old rookie, and he's highly touted on defense. They also are bringing in two of the better 2020 draft-eligible Americans, playing High School or Prep, Ian Moore and Matthew Gleason. I think both will be drafted. Moore could be a 2nd rounder. Jimi Suomi is a Finnish defenseman they are bringing in. He has a chance to be an early/mid round pick next year.

They might be bringing in Luke Levandowski, a highly touted High School player for the 2021 draft. The Laylin brothers are both supposedly pretty good players, and I think there's a chance both will show up next year. Jason Marsella is a highly touted 2021 draft eligible that might be coming in next season. Brendan Brisson's younger brother is a Chicago pick, and he will probably join at some point. And I think what probably most demonstrates their smart drafting is picking Matthew Beniers with a later pick in the USHL Draft this year. Now Ivy League sports are cancelled, and he needs somewhere to play next season. For future seasons, they also have the rights to Lambert and Michkov. They know what they're doing.

We don't know the exact roster yet, but it's going to be the same it was this year. Probably around 10 picks/future picks on the roster. It'll be a good team, and I expect them to be one of the best teams in the league next season, if not the very best.

@tealhockey would know more about these players than I would, so he could probably provide some input on some of their incoming players for next season and future seasons.

I believe they're also bringing in Tomas Mazura, an Oilers pick out of Kimball.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
They could be better than they were this year for a variety of reasons but it all goes down to the fact that they run a pretty young team so the turn-over doesn't seem to affect them the way it often does in the ushl. Obviously a lot of uncertainty with the whole covid thing. Then you have the stacked pipeline and a tender like Adam Fantilli coming in. It's nice. You can hear their GM Ryan Hardy talk about his thoughts post-USHL draft in May on my podcast here AHP Ep. 08 feat. Ryan Hardy, Chicago Steel

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad