LD Owen Power - Univ. of Michigan, NCAA (2021 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
.....if only Team Canada made player selections based on attendance at camps. That would make my life as an American hockey fan a lot easier!
You're a BIG USA Hockey fan so I'll ask you the same question I asked "William H Bonney" and I won't argue with any answer you give - I'll assume your answer in genuine....

Do you REALLY believe if Power was American, USA Hockey and the University would not find a way to get him on the team - even if it meant leaving school for 50 days?

With the training facility in Plymouth Michigan, I think it would be a done deal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Or they're siding against Hockey Canada.

Again, if he was an American kid, all the posters would be singing a different tune...

* Canadian posters would not care and think he should stay at school.

* American posters would want him at the camp.

And in your hypothetical example those hypothetical posters would be equally as wrong as you have been so far in this thread if they conducted themselves in a hypothetically similar fashion.

Reactions: BondraTime

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You're a BIG USA Hockey fan so I'll ask you the same question I asked "William H Bonney" and I won't argue with any answer you give - I'll assume your answer in genuine....

Do you REALLY believe if Power was American, USA Hockey and the University would not find a way to get him on the team - even if it meant leaving school for 50 days?

With the training facility in Plymouth Michigan, I think it would be a done deal.

I don’t agree with your premise.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
As a Canadian, I wanted to see him play and see what all the hype was about. Maybe I'll just have to pay to see Michigan games on line.
Obviously it wouldn't be happening if they were playing. The majority of camp invites are in this position. I still don't understand how it's a "meaningless" camp. Should they stay home, have a few socially distant skates each week, pump weights and play Xbox. Would that be more meaningful while all of their WJC competition are playing competitive hockey games?
He’s playing every weekend starting THIS weekend...is Team Canada playing this weekend?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

On December 10th

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
He’s been Committed to Michigan for 2 and a half years..Michigan is his first priority

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
No team Canada is not playing this weekend. Most of them aren't playing at all, that's a big part of the reason for the early camp. That was the point. ... I think you're confused.
I know exactly what’s going on...he’s in Ann Arbor where he belongs

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
No team Canada is not playing this weekend. Most of them aren't playing at all, that's a big part of the reason for the early camp. That was the point. ... I think you're confused.

Doesnt sound like he is confused
it sounds like he realizes that Owen is doing what is best for his development and draft stock.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Him missing camp is really not a big deal. He's doing what's best for him and that's smart. If he lights it up, HC will find a spot for him.

Personally, I had him pencilled in for the WJC's, but it's not the end of the world that he isn't heading to camp. He and his coaches likely talked about this at length and made their choice with his best interest(s), and the interest of their team, in mind. Life will go on..

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
On December 10th

Why should he get preferential treatment? No one is above the team, that’s not how the Canadian Way works.

He’s not a returning player or a late NHL addition either.

Just stay in the NCAA, he’s made his choice and maybe it’s the right one, maybe it’s not. Time will tell.

We should just give another player his spot, there a plenty of excellent Canadian D men.

Reactions: ORRFForever

WRC

Dec 15, 2019
Doesnt sound like he is confused
it sounds like he realizes that Owen is doing what is best for his development and draft stock.

Yup. I couldn't agree more. .... My point was the purpose for the camp itself which someone called "meaningless". It wasn't a comment on Powers situation.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Why should he get preferential treatment? No one is above the team, that’s not how the Canadian Way works.

Just stay in the NCAA, he’s made his choice and maybe it’s the right one, maybe it’s not. Time will tell.

We should just give another player his spot, there a plenty of excellent Canadian D men.
Fine by me...if that’s how it goes I’m sure he’ll remember that next December too

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Fine by me...if that’s how it goes I’m sure he’ll remember that next December too

He’s made his choice. I don’t hate on him at all and sincerely hope he plays well at Michigan. He’s likely going 1st overall next draft and jumps straight into the NHL anyways.

Those games against Arizona State are more important for him and his coach than representing his country on a massive stage. He’s allowed that right and autonomy over his own career.

Who knows maybe they do allow him to come late? I doubt that would be good for team camaraderie if a non-returning draft eligible player got that type of special treatment. No one is above the team.

Canada has enough talent and guys who want to be there to win Gold without him anyways. I understand he wants to focus on his classes, I get it. I have 7 years of post secondary education, I value education dearly.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’s made his choice. I don’t hate on him at all and sincerely hope he plays well at Michigan. He’s likely going 1st overall next draft and jumps straight into the NHL anyways.

Those games against Arizona State are more important for him and his coach than representing his country on a massive stage. He’s allowed that right and autonomy over his own career.

Who knows maybe they do allow him to come late? I doubt that would be good for team camaraderie if a non-returning draft eligible player got that type of special treatment. No one is above the team.

Canada has enough talent and guys who want to be there to win Gold without him anyways. I understand he wants to focus on his classes, I get it. I have 7 years of post secondary education, I value education dearly.
He's the only person invited who is in that position, comparing his position to every single other invitee is foolish

Reactions: William H Bonney

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don't know why you call it preferential treatment. Are you suggesting that all players have to play their club hockey exactly where Hockey Canada wants otherwise they'd be getting preferential treatment? It makes no sense for Power to get up and leave Michigan for the rest of the season for an international camp that is only being had because the the WHL and OHL are not playing games. Every country should be working with their best players, and trying to find solutions. You shouldn't tell them where and when they need to play their hockey, otherwise they won't have a spot on the team. If Power is only of the 7 best defensemen, he shouldn't need to attend this camp. Thats not preferential treatment.

WRC

Dec 15, 2019

Most of these guys obviously feel that with the depth of talent available, they will be left off the roster if they don't attend the full camp. Newhook and Holloway wouldn't be going otherwise. Newhook is going to miss 8 or 10 games, and is probably losing his chance at a Hobey by attending. I think it's very unlikely that Power will be asked to join the team in Edmonton in December. So you are saying that if that happens, and he is available next year, then he is going to refuse next year's camp invite??

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Most of these guys obviously feel that with the depth of talent available, they will be left off the roster if they don't attend the full camp. Newhook and Holloway wouldn't be going otherwise. Newhook is going to miss 8 or 10 games, and is probably losing his chance at a Hobey by attending. I think it's very unlikely that Power will be asked to join the team in Edmonton in December. So you are saying that if that happens, and he is available next year, then he is going to refuse next year's camp invite??
All I know is he’ll be here til December 10th and the 2nd half will start probably after the 1st of the year. After that it’s on him.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't know why you call it preferential treatment. Are you suggesting that all players have to play their club hockey exactly where Hockey Canada wants otherwise they'd be getting preferential treatment? It makes no sense for Power to get up and leave Michigan for the rest of the season for an international camp that is only being had because the the WHL and OHL are not playing games. Every country should be working with their best players, and trying to find solutions. You shouldn't tell them where and when they need to play their hockey, otherwise they won't have a spot on the team. If Power is only of the 7 best defensemen, he shouldn't need to attend this camp. Thats not preferential treatment.
You make good points.

I just wish Hockey Canada and Michigan had been able to find a better date.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
... if that happens, and he is available next year, then he is going to refuse next year's camp invite??

Hockey Canada should be reaching out to Power about next year and explain that if Power wants to ENSURE he will be able to participate next year, he needs to assert himself because there is no guarantee Covid will be gone, and if he's counting on Michigan or his coach to go do what's in HIS best interest, he's going to be in for a shock.

Last edited:
Reactions: DropTheGloves

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hockey Canada should be reaching out to Power about next year and explain that if Power wants to ENSURE he will be able to participate next year, he needs to assert himself because there is no guarantee Covid will be gone, and if he's counting on Michigan or his coach to go do what's in HIS best interest, he's going to be in for a shock.

You really need to chill with the assumptions. Power was involved in the decision. What makes you think he's actively choosing to stay with Michigan if he doesn't think that's in his best interest?

Reactions: cg98

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You really need to chill with the assumptions. Power was involved in the decision. What makes you think he's actively choosing to stay with Michigan if he doesn't think that's in his best interest?
I've conceded I was wrong about this year - and conceding being wrong is not something we see very often around here.

Having said that, I strongly believe that if Power wants to ensure he is a go for next year (no matter where we stand with Covid), he needs to assert himself because I don't believe Michigan or the coach will put his interest above their own.

If Michigan is a higher priority for Power than the WJR's, then the status quo will do just fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad