LD Noah Hanifin - Boston College, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
thanks for the input. I know this isn't his thread but is Matthews going to be on u18 permanently from this point on. I also believe he is uncommitted at the moment. Does the CHL look like an option for him at all?

Bonney would have a better idea about Matthews than me as far as an NTDP roster stand point goes. I just know he's been added to their roster and played there the last 2 weekends. As far as CHL goes, I believe Everett owns his rights in the WHL, think he was a 3rd or 4th round pick in the Bantam draft. Havent heard much on the NCAA recruiting trail concerning him, wouldnt be at all that shocked to see him head up there after this year if he remains with the U18s for the rest of this year though.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
thanks for the input. I know this isn't his thread but is Matthews going to be on u18 permanently from this point on. I also believe he is uncommitted at the moment. Does the CHL look like an option for him at all?

Matthews was called up to the U18s to fill in for the injured Ryan Hitchcock at this point. Only time will tell if it was anything more than that.

I'm actually quite surprised that no one has been permanently moved up from the U17 squad so far. The U18 squad hasn't exactly been dominant in their time together internationally while the U17s is arguably one of, if not the best squad they've put together. The NTDP isn't currently in a USHL playoff position but they have the most games left to play (16), split evenly between the U17s and U18s, so they could just be waiting to see how the standings start to shake out.

The U18 team's struggles have typically been rooted in their d-men and goalies though so I'd still be really surprised if at least Hanifin doesn't move up soon. They probably don't need to add any forwards from the U17s (even if they're deserving) because the top six is strong and a team like Youngstown won't make the USHL playoffs so high-end '96 forward Kyle Connor will be available for the tournament and I think it would be hard for USAH not to add him for the U18 WCs. U17 forwards like White, Bracco, Kirwan, or Matthews are all deserving of call-ups as well though and all would justify their inclusions in my opinion. It's a nice problem to have for USAH.

I'm interested to see how it all plays out. I'm just surprised Hanifin isn't already up though because outside of Dougherty and Glover all of the U18 d-men are forgettable at this point.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
He reminds me of a mix between Seth Jones and Alex Pietrangelo.

He's a big, strong skater like Jones, but he's very calm and smart like Pietrangelo.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
My 1st post.

I have been reading this sight for about 4+ years.

Bonney, you seem to be in the know the most about team USA. A little fishy that a new person has to break the news......

DEFENCENAN ZACH WERENSKI has been called up and been practicing all week with the u18's !!!!!! He will be playing with them this weekend.

Also,In my opinion, which means nothing, Nick Smaltz or Keegan Iverson are the only players outside the program that might possibly contribute. Smaltz was non existent when he played with u18s against Minn Duluth and St Cloud, both blowout losses. While Iverson did contribute at the u17 challenge in Quebec last year from what I have heard.

As far as the u18s record in international play, I think you should go back and check their record. They are 6-2 this season with 2 1goal losses and like 11-3 last season.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yeah, and if he sticks in the USHL he can still leave for the pros whenever he wants, not follow some stupid CHL rule where guys can't decide where they will be able to develop best.

You'd be surprised how many American young hockey care about that. Once they choose the CHL lots of doors and personal choices are taken away from them.

Great point. Not an American obviously but this worked out well for Girgensons. He was very intent on going to college but the Sabres changed his mind. He had growing pains in the AHL as an 18 year old straight out of the UHSL but turned it on late. That experience prepared him to earn a spot on the Sabres out of camp, the only rookie on the team to stick the full season so far. If he were drafted out of the CHL, he'd likely still be in the CHL and next year he might've still needed a year to warm up in the AHL.

The CHL is better competition obviously but trying to imagine myself as a high-level player, I'd hate to not have options.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Great point. Not an American obviously but this worked out well for Girgensons. He was very intent on going to college but the Sabres changed his mind. He had growing pains in the AHL as an 18 year old straight out of the UHSL but turned it on late. That experience prepared him to earn a spot on the Sabres out of camp, the only rookie on the team to stick the full season so far. If he were drafted out of the CHL, he'd likely still be in the CHL and next year he might've still needed a year to warm up in the AHL.

The CHL is better competition obviously but trying to imagine myself as a high-level player, I'd hate to not have options.

not to derail this thread but if you look at CHL right now, more specifically the OHL, this has to be one of the more down years I have seen in a wile in terms of high end skill for US kids. maybe the graduation of key players like Trocheck, Noesen, Prince, Boucher, Ross, Watson, etc has played a part in this. usually the top 30-40 scorers has a solid number of US kids in it, but this year you pretty much only have DeAngelo, Cassels and Vail in the top 30. None in the top 10. Maybe if Hartman and Lodge didn't start off missing some time it might look a bit better. But outside of them you have Bryan Moore, Brendan Lemieux, Ben Johnson and Nick Ebert in the top 80.

to me it appears that a lot of kids went to college over the CHL for this year and last and many of the younger players in the CHL like Magyar, MacInnis, Llewellyn, Lebanc, Clarke, etc really haven't lit the world on fire yet. so maybe this is just a brief gap due to transition of losing so many good Americans to graduation.

it is obviously a case by case basis and guys like Bittner and Erne are looking like studs in the CHL, just throwing it out there that the NCAA definitely won some battles for this year and likely next year.

the 1998 birth year should change this as it is expected that a number of the top US kids will be heading to the OHL/WHL - Khodorenko, Chychrun, Brown, Pastujov, Jones, etc. so it might be heading back to the norm of top US kids in the CHL within two years.

and oh yeah, Hanifin is a ****ing beast :yo:

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
C'mon Bonney,

He's been up since Monday and Werenski back down. White also up.

I watched game tonight, he was very good. 3 assists, 2 on PP.

Looked really good on PP paired with Belpedio, 1g 1a, and Larkin, 2g, Bjork and Wagner up front.

Was a little shaky in D zone and missed on shootout. Over all a very good game for him.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Cosentino said on on monday that there's still a fair chance he could come over to the Remparts next year if they host the Memorial Cup. Remparts are rumoured to be the front runners at this point.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
I would venture that the Memorial Cup being in Quebec would not sway Hanifin's decision one iota. Assuming the rumors are true he is headed to BC next year, he's much better off in the NCAA with BC playing against older, physically stronger competition at a game with faster pace than the Q. I really don't buy the "pro schedule" argument the CHL backers state as a reason for better development, especially defenseman. Getting to the NHL is a process, even for studs like Hanifin, and there really hasn't been a true 18 year old D play the whole year in the NHL in a long time. He'll spend 2+ years at BC and be better prepared for the pros when the time is right. D need to learn how to play D first and foremost to be a Top 4 contributor in the NHL. He will get more of that seasoning at BC, not just in games but in practice and strength training. I see him as a more offensive McDonagh which would make him an impact player for sure. A solid two-way game foundation is what he needs and my opinion is the NCAA is the route he should pick.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Watched him for the 1st time this weekend and I can say he is the best defenseman I have seen in the USHL...this year for sure...Possibly ever. Such a fluid skater and makes the game look easy. His shootout attempt, he came in with a ton of speed and went high glove with a wrister but missed the net. He is way ahead of Seth Jones at the same age and I dont think it is close.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I would venture that the Memorial Cup being in Quebec would not sway Hanifin's decision one iota. Assuming the rumors are true he is headed to BC next year, he's much better off in the NCAA with BC playing against older, physically stronger competition at a game with faster pace than the Q. I really don't buy the "pro schedule" argument the CHL backers state as a reason for better development, especially defenseman. Getting to the NHL is a process, even for studs like Hanifin, and there really hasn't been a true 18 year old D play the whole year in the NHL in a long time. He'll spend 2+ years at BC and be better prepared for the pros when the time is right. D need to learn how to play D first and foremost to be a Top 4 contributor in the NHL. He will get more of that seasoning at BC, not just in games but in practice and strength training. I see him as a more offensive McDonagh which would make him an impact player for sure. A solid two-way game foundation is what he needs and my opinion is the NCAA is the route he should pick.

You have no way of knowing whether any of that is true.

Stanley Cup

Bettman's ice bucket
Jul 15, 2010
Québec
What are Hanifins plans for next year? Any chance Quebec gets him to report there?

With Quebec hosting the Memorial cup, one would think they will make a push to get him to report to the Remparts. Lots of rumors regarding Eichel too. Team could be stacked :laugh:

BigClemMacdonald

Dec 11, 2011
Saw Hanifin play at the u17 tournament in Cape Breton. The US walked through the tournament with ease. Him and Luke Kirwan really impressed me. Seth Jones brother was playing too

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
You have no way of knowing whether any of that is true.

it is my opinion, yours might differ. What is unquestionably true is that there has not been a true18 year old impact D play in the NHL in a long long time. Even Seth Jones was 19 when puck dropped for the season. Hence my reasoning he'll do 2 years at BC. Of course he could go to the Q, just my opinion he is better off playing against men for all the reasons I cited.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
it is my opinion, yours might differ. What is unquestionably true is that there has not been a true18 year old impact D play in the NHL in a long long time. Even Seth Jones was 19 when puck dropped for the season. Hence my reasoning he'll do 2 years at BC. Of course he could go to the Q, just my opinion he is better off playing against men for all the reasons I cited.

What's a true 18 year old? Hanifin is a January 1997, which conceivably would put him as an 18 year from August to January of his rookie year.

Victor Hedman was 18 from August to December. Basically a difference of five weeks between Hanifin's hypothetical rookie season. Zach Bogosian played 47 games in the NHL his 18 year old season, where he was 18 the entire time. He would have played the whole year if not for a broken leg. Doughty was 18 August to December.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
What's a true 18 year old? Hanifin is a January 1997, which conceivably would put him as an 18 year from August to January of his rookie year.

Victor Hedman was 18 from August to December. Basically a difference of five weeks between Hanifin's hypothetical rookie season. Zach Bogosian played 47 games in the NHL his 18 year old season, where he was 18 the entire time. He would have played the whole year if not for a broken leg. Doughty was 18 August to December.

It does get to semantics re 18 year old year for sure. I guess the easier way to look at it is those D who played immediately after being drafted. Not too many have been impactful in year 1 was my point. Sure there are a few but tougher to crack the NHL right after being drafted as a D versus a F.

Hanifin may be ready in 2015 for the NHL but my opinion is until he signs pro his development is better served in the NCAA per my original post.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It does get to semantics re 18 year old year for sure. I guess the easier way to look at it is those D who played immediately after being drafted. Not too many have been impactful in year 1 was my point. Sure there are a few but tougher to crack the NHL right after being drafted as a D versus a F.

Hanifin may be ready in 2015 for the NHL but my opinion is until he signs pro his development is better served in the NCAA per my original post.

I don't disagree with you. I think NHL teams are more content to let players spend a year or two in the NCAA after being drafted because the competition level is higher and it's often a good transition for kids off the ice. A lot of NHL teams keep players up in the NHL, even if they aren't good because they have outgrown the CHL but the transfer agreement provides no flexibility.

Hopefully Hanifin will either get drafted, or simply avoid the CHL although to keep his options open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad