LD Mirco Müller (2013, 18th, San Jose)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
For what it's worth, the Flyers actually had him rated number 3 amongst defensemen on their draft board. I am definitely a big fan. Love guys that do exceptionally well in the VO2 test (like Hampus the year before).

Sharks seem to value that test highly. IIRC, Hertl finished very high in it too. I definitely think its a good test to value because it's about potential endurance, not how much of a gym rat the guy is.

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
Roman Josi is the comparison that TSN bandied about. For me I think his offensive skills are still developing - he's never really been take off the leash, whether that's by his coaches or by his own focus - I could see him being a better player on the rush and coming out of the zone than Josi at the NHL level. Which is really saying something as Josi is going to be an annual 35-40 point player on a defense first team.

I think that he already has just about everything you want for an NHL Dman these days - size, skating, hockey sense, strong in his own zone, great first pass, patience, can play PP minutes (though not a true PP QB).

The only thing lacking is that nasty edge - but that doesn't mean he isn't physical. He will play the body and use his own strength in his own zone, pinning players against the wall and hitting. He's much more physical than Josi in comparison.

Let's not forget that he also played on a very poor team talent wise - Could turn out to be one of the top 3 or 4 Dmen in what was an extremely strong class.

He should get more point opportunities this year with an improved Silvertips team. He was basically the top defensemen for the team all year since Murray was injured. He adapted to the NA game quickly, and hasn't looked back.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He should get more point opportunities this year with an improved Silvertips team. He was basically the top defensemen for the team all year since Murray was injured. He adapted to the NA game quickly, and hasn't looked back.

He might not be back with Everett considering their import situation.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
I think Garry Davidson would most likely release Hopponen. The Silvertips need experience on defense, so I doubt they'd trade Mueller. But if they do, what do you think his value would be?

I think Everett and Victoria could be good trading partners.

Royals have 7 defeneseman (Fransoo, Cote, Hicketts, Dixon, Gagnon, Shchacher, Kanzig) with WHL experience and we need an import player and scoring up front.

Ace88*

How good can Muller potentially be?

Likely a 2nd pairing minute muncher that will be a stalwart on the pk while making few, if any, glaring mistakes. I could see him find his way to a top pairing in his peak years though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
How good can Muller potentially be?

I hope that he will become a Vlasic-type.

I think there's an outside chance he could become a #2 guy. I have his top end more as a very comfortable #3. The comparable for him that I used this year was Niklas Hjalmarsson.

Mueller is a minute-muncher that plays in every situation for the Silvertips. Is a pretty good skater, passes it well and has a good shot. The Swiss-born player is pretty raw and a work in progress on the defensive end, but he logs a ton of minutes for the Tips. I know some people like him much more than I do, but I only have one live viewing under my belt so I may be selling him short (despite a half-dozen online/TV viewings of him). I expect him to be a top 25 selection even though I rank him around 35th overall.

NHL Style Comparable: Niklas Hjalmarsson
Top End Potential: Top 3 D, Second Unit PP, First Unit PK
Pick Prediction: 20-25th overall
- May 27th, 2013

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2013/05/my-whl-player-rankings-for-2013-nhl.html

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I think Mueller will end up surprising. When he is ready, Boyle will be finished. I have a feeling the Sharks will tap into his offensive potential and accurate shot. I think he ends up similar to Ryan Suter in terms of point production..... 40-50 points in prime.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I think Mueller will end up surprising. When he is ready, Boyle will be finished. I have a feeling the Sharks will tap into his offensive potential and accurate shot. I think he ends up similar to Ryan Suter in terms of point production..... 40-50 points in prime.

That's pretty bold.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I hope he has a bit more puck skills to him than Hjalmarsson. Hjalmarsson needs serious help with outlets.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I think Garry Davidson would most likely release Hopponen. The Silvertips need experience on defense, so I doubt they'd trade Mueller. But if they do, what do you think his value would be?
I'm not sure imports can even be traded anymore.
I believe they banned the trading of import picks and import players (so that teams could not get around the ban on trading picks) at the same time as they implemented the new goaltender rule.

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
I'm not sure imports can even be traded anymore.
I believe they banned the trading of import picks and import players (so that teams could not get around the ban on trading picks) at the same time as they implemented the new goaltender rule.

I'm pretty sure that Mueller can be traded because he was drafted in the 2012 Import Draft, not 2013. So I don't think the new rules apply to him yet, I believe that the 2013 imports cannot be traded.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I definitely see the Hjalmarsson sense of calm and control, but I think Mueller has a bit more upside in terms of setting up the play coming into and out of the neutral zone.

Just a head-up, in-control player at all times.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Can anybody comment on his development? i assume he is still logging minutes and nice to see he has strung a few points together recently as his totals seemed down this year.

Ace88*

Lol i completely forgot he even existed! How's he been playing this year? Steps forward, backwards, about the same?

SBrisScout

May 9, 2010
Washington State
Lol i completely forgot he even existed! How's he been playing this year? Steps forward, backwards, about the same?

He's been quality all season. His offense hasn't really taken a step forward, more like stagnated. He had a goal and an assist last night I believe though. He's been paired with 16 year old rookies most of the season, so he hasn't really been able to flourish. If Mueller comes back next season, I'd like to see the Silvertips trade for a better partner for him on the first line.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Called him one of the more underrated prospects and showing it tonight. Has looked fantastic for a 19 year old.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Called him one of the more underrated prospects and showing it tonight. Has looked fantastic for a 19 year old.

I agree with you. Guys like him who are rock-solid but not spectacular tend to be overlooked, especially at this young stage of their career. He will get noticed by more people with time.

Glad he had a good first game!

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
His size and skating and I.Q. were on display. Also showed a bit of snarl and mixed it up all night in the corners and crease. Also showed great footwork to keep pucks in. Highlight was him closing on Gaborik and forcing a shot on a clean breakaway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad