LD Mirco Müller (2013, 18th, San Jose)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
No thread about this player? Been good in WHL this year and fantastic in WJC. 95 born. Very calm with the puck and very smart. 6'3" and 187 ibs.

First rounder?

Last edited:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I liked what I saw against Russia, And wouldn't be surprised if got in into the bottom 3rd of the first round this year.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Very impressed, saw him for the first time now at the WJC and this guy is great. Finished +7, 2 assists, got much ice-time. He's very calm, can read the game very well and has also a good first pass.

Could be late first-rounde, but I don't care that much really which round, important is how he develops.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Pretty impressive player. Good size, smooth skater, good offensive instincts, improving defensively. Plays a TON of minutes for Everett and plays in every situation. I think he has a ton of upside and will likely be a top 15-20 pick, even though I would rate him closer to the end of the first round.

Will be interesting to see where some of the WHL's D end up in the first/second rounds. For me, guys like Mueller, Theodore, Morrissey, Bowey etc are all pretty similar so it will be interesting to see how NHL teams value them.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Kinda weird. He's gone pretty unnoticed, even in Switzerland. He wasn't even a "star" over here. Mind you, he was a very solid player but nowhere near a player that had "elite player potential".

He went over, has been playing great but he's still not getting the recognition he deserves.

Anybody know why this is? Is it because he's not a flashy player and just plays a solid defensive game and has amazing stats (height, weight)?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Kinda weird. He's gone pretty unnoticed, even in Switzerland. He wasn't even a "star" over here. Mind you, he was a very solid player but nowhere near a player that had "elite player potential".

He went over, has been playing great but he's still not getting the recognition he deserves.

Anybody know why this is? Is it because he's not a flashy player and just plays a solid defensive game and has amazing stats (height, weight)?

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that his game is just very "vanilla". Doesn't make you jump out of your seat. Just very simple and effective.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Think he had top rankings in some of the combine events, don't remember which in particular but his name was up there for 2 or even 3 different things he scored well.

Could be a gamer.

hogtownhabsfan*

Think he had top rankings in some of the combine events, don't remember which in particular but his name was up there for 2 or even 3 different things he scored well.

Could be a gamer.

I believe he finished #1 in the endurance test if I'm not mistaken.

I like reports, and size, does anyone know where there's any tape of him online?

Fearless Leaf*

Does Mirco Mueller remind anyone of Jonas Brodin?

Everything I have heard about this guy and the highlights video I have seen of his screams Brodin to me back in his draft year(2011).

For example, a couple of months before the 2011 draft, many scouts and sites had Brodin ranked like a late first or around early 2nd etc until a week or two around the draft where everyone has these guys in their top 15 - 20 of the draft.

Secondly, They both play a more of a refined and finesse defensive game in the sense that they are exceptionally positionally, very very hard to beat one-on-one, eat up a ton of minutes and thrive in big challenges.

Lastly, I think they both are very efficient and effective skater with good puck skills and outstanding hockey sense to know just what do without without the puck and play a smart and simple offensive minded game.

IMO, Mueller is going to surprise a lot of people down the road and make whichever team that drafts him a happy camper.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
If he can become anything close to what Brodin is now, I'll leap right through the roof out of joy. :laugh:

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Been a big Mirco fan for awhile. Could be the steal of the draft. I could see him jumping pretty high, although he was ranked pretty high in the final rankings anyway.

I've honestly not seen much of Brodin, but Mueller plays a very smooth, two-way transitional game. He has high hockey IQ, and speed and skill to go with it.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I don't see it. Mueller has smooth strides but isn't as agile and quick as Brodin. Brodin is an escape artist when it comes to defensive zone plays but Mueller looks more simple and efficient.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Mueller hasn't won the Norris, Selke, Adams, Vezina, and Hart yet, so no. :sarcasm:

I wouldn't be upset if the Flames took him. Smooth skating defensemen with a good offensive sense are rare in Calgary outside of Brodie...

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Mueller has a deceptively nice and accurate shot. He reminds me of a mix between Roman Josi and Eric Desjardins.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
So does that mean when next year's Calder finalists are announced, we can say "No Mueller?? :help:"

Nah, it will go like this

320x240px-LL-fab166fa_bueller_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

Mueller?

Mueller?

Mueller?

Mueller?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Mueller has a deceptively nice and accurate shot. He reminds me of a mix between Roman Josi and Eric Desjardins.

Roman Josi is the comparison that TSN bandied about. For me I think his offensive skills are still developing - he's never really been take off the leash, whether that's by his coaches or by his own focus - I could see him being a better player on the rush and coming out of the zone than Josi at the NHL level. Which is really saying something as Josi is going to be an annual 35-40 point player on a defense first team.

I think that he already has just about everything you want for an NHL Dman these days - size, skating, hockey sense, strong in his own zone, great first pass, patience, can play PP minutes (though not a true PP QB).

The only thing lacking is that nasty edge - but that doesn't mean he isn't physical. He will play the body and use his own strength in his own zone, pinning players against the wall and hitting. He's much more physical than Josi in comparison.

Let's not forget that he also played on a very poor team talent wise - Could turn out to be one of the top 3 or 4 Dmen in what was an extremely strong class.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Could turn out to be one of the top 3 or 4 Dmen in what was an extremely strong class.

For what it's worth, the Flyers actually had him rated number 3 amongst defensemen on their draft board. I am definitely a big fan. Love guys that do exceptionally well in the VO2 test (like Hampus the year before).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad