LD Mikhail Sergachev (2016, 9th, MTL; traded to TBL)

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
People are seriously overstating Chychrun's demise as a prospect. He's still better in pretty much every category in comparison to Sergachyov and Juolevi.

Was it him not making team Canada for the WJC, or is it him not being north of a PPG? There hasn't been as big of an improvement compared to some others maybe, but he was already an exceptional player last year.

champs*

People are seriously overstating Chychrun's demise as a prospect. He's still better in pretty much every category in comparison to Sergachyov and Juolevi.

Was it him not making team Canada for the WJC, or is it him not being north of a PPG? There hasn't been as big of an improvement compared to some others maybe, but he was already an exceptional player last year.

I have watched all three play and chychrun is the all around better play at the moment. all three are good and top 15 picks

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Last year was last year.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Just so much skill...

I still believe that guy could be a crucial difference for Russian WJC Team.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
This kid is going to be REALLY good. His confidence seems to have skyrocketed lately. He was good before but it seems like he has taken another step. He has #1 defenseman written all over him.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
How does Sergachyov compare to Provorov in his draft year in your opinion?

He looks a bit more rough around the edges than Provorov, but Provorov had the advantage of already being acclimatized to the culture.

Sergachev's play over the past month has been at least on par with Provorov's last year, and I really like his explosive skating and physicality.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He looks a bit more rough around the edges than Provorov, but Provorov had the advantage of already being acclimatized to the culture.

Sergachev's play over the past month has been at least on par with Provorov's last year, and I really like his explosive skating and physicality.

High praise.

thx

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
In my opinion:

Defensive zone play - Sergachyov < Provorov
Offensive zone play - Sergachyov > Provorov
Shooting ability - Sergachyov > Provorov
Passing - Sergachyov < Provorov
Vision, IQ - Sergachyov < Provorov
Skating overall - Sergachyov > Provorov
Physical game - Sergachyov > Provorov
Puck skills - Sergachyov > Provorov

Although Sergachyov wins it I lean toward Provorov. He's so smart, unique defenseman. Not that Sergachyov isn't smart enough, but Provorov's IQ is off the charts. Mikhail is just more skilled with the puck, more powerful and explosive skater, more creative in offensive zone. He's this year's Werenski in my eyes.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
In my opinion:

Defensive zone play - Sergachyov < Provorov
Offensive zone play - Sergachyov > Provorov
Shooting ability - Sergachyov > Provorov
Passing - Sergachyov < Provorov
Vision, IQ - Sergachyov < Provorov
Skating overall - Sergachyov > Provorov
Physical game - Sergachyov > Provorov
Puck skills - Sergachyov > Provorov

Although Sergachyov wins it I lean toward Provorov. He's so smart, unique defenseman. Not that Sergachyov isn't smart enough, but Provorov's IQ is off the charts. Mikhail is just more skilled with the puck, more powerful and explosive skater, more creative in offensive zone. He's this year's Werenski in my eyes.

Agree with most of that but IMO Sergachyov is better defensively since he's using his body in such an effective way that it becomes a big advantage. If I had to choose between the two I have no idea who I'd take. Both are very different but very special players. They'd probably complement each other quite nicely in fact.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
IMO Sergachyov is better defensively since he's using his body in such an effective way that it becomes a big advantage.

Yeah, he's just so strong and athletic, can easily outmuscle pretty much every his opponent at least at the junior level, loves destroy people with great hits too, but Provorov's defense is more positional, based on his amazing smarts. I give the slight edge to Ivan here, and it isn't a knock to Misha, he's great defensively too.

They'd probably complement each other quite nicely in fact.

That's why I'd like so much to see them together at the next WJC. It'd be super deadly.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Have had him around 7-8 for months. Whoever picks him up in the mid to late teens is going to get such a steal. Best defenseman in the draft IMO.

jetkarma*

Have had him around 7-8 for months. Whoever picks him up in the mid to late teens is going to get such a steal. Best defenseman in the draft IMO.

Be surprised if not shocked if he goes in the late teens . More in the 8 to 10 range I believe.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong here - his highlights show him playing often on the right side, even though he is left handed.

Does he normally play the right side as an off-handed defenseman? If so, that helps raise his stock some, IMO.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So, uh, what does this guy have to do to be considered the best d-man in the draft and a legit top5 pick?

Why are scouts sleeping so hard on this kid? 35 points in 42 games playing a really strong all-around game. 3rd most productive and the leading goalscoring defenseman in the OHL. Size, skating, smarts, he has it all. I just don't get why he's not getting more love.

Call me crazy but I have him ranked #4 in the entire draft right now. I see him as a franchise defenseman, a difference maker at the next level.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Why are scouts sleeping so hard on this kid?

I just don't get why he's not getting more love.

I think it's all about Chychrun last season hype and a lot of noise about Juolevi due to WJC. That's why. :(

35 points in 42 games playing a really strong all-around game.

35 in 46 actually, but it's not that important. btw in the last 22 games he registered 23 pts. :handclap:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong here - his highlights show him playing often on the right side, even though he is left handed.

Does he normally play the right side as an off-handed defenseman? If so, that helps raise his stock some, IMO.
He does indeed play the right side. Just another indication of his skill level.

So, uh, what does this guy have to do to be considered the best d-man in the draft and a legit top5 pick?
No idea. I too think he's the most talented d-man in the draft. Easy skill. Just so smooth and makes everything look so easy. He's massive too.

I think it's all about Chychrun last season hype and a lot of noise about Juolevi due to WJC. That's why. :(
This, although I have a feeling people will take notice of him after Thursday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad