LD Mikhail Sergachev (2016, 9th, MTL; traded to TBL)

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
2 goals tonight against flint. 4+2 in last 4 games. 2 game streak with pair of goals.
and now he's leading entire leagure among defencemen with 9 goals. why this thread is so cold? kid's pretty impressive i guess. and who is the 2nd best d in the draft class? him or finnish stud olli juolevi? or dante fabbro?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
2 goals tonight against flint. 4+2 in last 4 games. 2 game streak with pair of goals.
and now he's leading entire leagure among defencemen with 9 goals. why this thread is so cold? kid's pretty impressive i guess. and who is the 2nd best d in the draft class? him or finnish stud olli juolevi? or dante fabbro?

Haven't seen enough of Fabbro, but he's a better prospect than Joulevi by a good bit in my eyes.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

there wasnt much hype around him prior to this season.

most ppl didnt watch him play internationally last year and he's only played 30'ish games this season, prospect talk tends to heat up around late december/early january.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Haven't seen enough of Fabbro, but he's a better prospect than Joulevi by a good bit in my eyes.

i haven't seen a single game any of those defencemen and it's difficult to judge for me
but i thought juolevi's numbers are strongly increased by london's offence. am i right?

there wasnt much hype around him prior to this season.

most ppl didnt watch him play internationally last year and he's only played 30'ish games this season, prospect talk tends to heat up around late december/early january.

ok, now i see it. thanks for response guys.
i really hope bragin will not ignore such a good kid and serg will be invited to wjc training camp, especially with this years pretty poor russian defence.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
i haven't seen a single game any of those defencemen and it's difficult to judge for me
but i thought juolevi's numbers are strongly increased by london's offence. am i right?
Doesn't hurt, but I was just more impressed with Sergachev when I saw the two play head to head. He stood out.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Doesn't hurt, but I was just more impressed with Sergachev when I saw the two play head to head. He stood out.

Don't think there's that big of a difference between them. Juolevi stands out one night, then Sergachyov the next. I think they are very different as players so I think it's more about what style of d-man NHL teams are looking for when deciding who they pick over the other.

Juolevi is the more cerebral player, much better skater, a better passer and the better transitional game from my views while Sergachyov uses his body much more effectively and is more assertive in his own zone, probably has a better shot too.

I do think Sergachyov has the higher upside and could really be a game-changing defenseman if he reaches his potential. Juolevi is probably more likely to be an excellent #2 than a #1. I'm not good with player comparisons but Juolevi is maybe something like Cam Fowler and Sergachyov more like a Roman Josi type. I think Juolevi is the safer pick just due to his skating, smarts and passing game.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Don't think there's that big of a difference between them. Juolevi stands out one night, then Sergachyov the next. I think they are very different as players so I think it's more about what style of d-man NHL teams are looking for when deciding who they pick over the other.

Juolevi is the more cerebral player, much better skater, a better passer and the better transitional game from my views while Sergachyov uses his body much more effectively and is more assertive in his own zone, probably has a better shot too.

I do think Sergachyov has the higher upside and could really be a game-changing defenseman if he reaches his potential. Juolevi is probably more likely to be an excellent #2 than a #1. I'm not good with player comparisons but Juolevi is maybe something like Cam Fowler and Sergachyov more like a Roman Josi type. I think Juolevi is the safer pick just due to his skating, smarts and passing game.

I havn't seen Juolevi, you really think he is a much better skater than Sergachev, so does Sergachev have weak-average skating then in your opinion?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I havn't seen Juolevi, you really think he is a much better skater than Sergachev, so does Sergachev have weak-average skating then in your opinion?

I don't see it that way. Sergachev is a very good skater. He's a big guy and while I wouldn't necessarily call him quick, he covers a lot of ground. Really smooth, easy stride.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

Sergachyov doesnt have any glaring weaknesses, thats what stands out about his game. He has good puck skills, skating, high hockey IQ (very good positionally).. he really is a complete 2 way dman.
Think of him as a Pietrangelo type player. Prototypical big, strong, minute munching 2 way dman (Ekblad or Hanifin type prospect.. of course they all have their uniqueness but he's that complete, dependable 2way dman).

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

It's definitely not weak-average, but it's not exceptional either like Juolevi. He has good footwork and is mobile enough but lack explosiveness from what I've seen. Sometimes I wonder if he has that extra gear but he just isn't using it, similar to Draisaitl who many thought was a bad skater but it had more to do with him not moving his feet rather than lacking speed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why didn't Sergachyov make Russia's WJC team? Also, is he a better prospect than the top Russian defenseman prospect of the 2015 draft, Provorov?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Why didn't Sergachyov make Russia's WJC team? Also, is he a better prospect than the top Russian defenseman prospect of the 2015 draft, Provorov?

I prefer Provorov in all honesty, but Sergachev is a great prospect himself. Provorov will give you more offense whereas Sergachev is a little more well rounded.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I prefer Provorov in all honesty, but Sergachev is a great prospect himself. Provorov will give you more offense whereas Sergachev is a little more well rounded.
I disagree. Provorov isn't really an offensive defenseman. He's better defensively than he is offensively. I would say at the same age Provorov is better all around. Sergachev has more raw ability and could absolutely turn out to be the better player but he's a bit more raw. Plays a little more laid back as well.

I know it's easy to want to compare the two because they are Russian imports but he's a lot closer in style to Werenski imo (if we are talking 2015 guys).

Last edited:

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
Today's breakaway goal against Owen Sound Attack.

11 goals and 27 points in 39 games.

2 + 7 in last 9 games.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Today's breakaway goal against Owen Sound Attack.

11 goals and 27 points in 39 games.

2 + 7 in last 9 games.

Kid is really skilled offensively. I'm quite surprised he isn't garnering more talk. He is the complete package. Like him more than Juolevi and, with Chychrun falling, I'm starting to think he might be the best d-man available when june rolls around.

He seems to have adapted to the OHL really well. His first couple of games it looked like he focused mostly on the defensive side and did a terrific job at it. I haven't watched him lately but considering how his production has elevated in recent times it would seem that he is now starting to get into his groove and has found that confidence.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Leading the OHL in goals from defensemen now.

I think he's the clear next defenseman after Chychrun and, with the way he's been improving, I could see him passing him pretty soon too.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
I'm just curious to know what actually does Chychrun the better prospect than Sergachyov at this point?

Skating, IQ, offensive instincts, defensive play? I've never seen him play. :dunno:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Leading the OHL in goals from defensemen now.

I think he's the clear next defenseman after Chychrun and, with the way he's been improving, I could see him passing him pretty soon too.

Always interesting to watch the guys who take a huge step in their draft years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad