LD Mikhail Sergachev (2016, 9th, MTL; traded to TBL)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Bumping this thread. Apparently committed to Windsor Spitfires in the OHL back in july, something I had missed. Ranked #17 in HockeyProspect's pre-season rankings. What is his game like? Seems big at 6'2, 200lbs. Who does he compare to? Any info would be appreciated.

EDIT: Found some info on the Spitfires website.

The #6 overall pick in last week's Canadian Hockey League Import Draft, Sergachev, 17, is widely-regarded as a Top-10 prospect for the 2016 NHL Draft.

"We're real excited for our team and our fans to have a world class player like this come to Windsor," Vice President & General Manager Warren Rychel said. "He's one of the best 1998-born defencemen in the world. He can do everything out there; he can shoot, he can defend, he can push the pace. He commands respect on the ice."

"Mikhail is a force and he makes our club better right now."

Sergachev (6'2, 200) spent the 2014-15 season with Kazan Irbis of the MHL. In 25 games, he posted two goals and six assists along with 18 penalty minutes.

"I'm very happy to come here," Sergachev said, through an interpreter. "Everything looks great from the facilities I've seen. I can't wait to get started."

Sergachev says although he's an offensive-minded blueliner, he prides himself on playing a three-zone game.

"I'm an offensive player, but I take care of my own end too. I play in all areas of the ice, but I enjoy the attack the most," he said with a smile.

Sounds intruiging, would still love to hear some input from someone who has watched him play though.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Bumping this thread. Apparently committed to Windsor Spitfires in the OHL back in july, something I had missed. Ranked #17 in HockeyProspect's pre-season rankings. What is his game like? Seems big at 6'2, 200lbs. Who does he compare to? Any info would be appreciated.

Sounds intruiging, would still love to hear some input from someone who has watched him play though.

I got some great info/reports on him from people for my Import Draft Review.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2015/07/2015-chl-import-draft-review.html

Scouting Report: Daniel Deschenes of Future Considerations says, “Makes very good passes and plays under pressure, not seeming hesitant or scared when forced to make a decision quicker than expected, showing good awareness and the ability to make a good pass up the wall to his man. Has a heavy shot loaded with power as he lets it go from the point. His slap shot possesses a high amount of velocity while looking to be somewhat pedestrian as he winds up. I would like to see him be more physical in his own zone - he has the size to do so - as he looked very hesitant to engage physically and use his body in my views. Good defensive awareness and does a very good job of pushing his man to the outside and limiting the space he gives the puck carrier to work with.†Our anonymous European scout says, "First round prospect, plays mature game, doesn´t make mistakes at both sides. Very good at both sides of rink, reads the play really well, plays with poise and patience. Excels in moving the puck out of zone. Good size/strength, thick body, strong on skates. Goes on pinching, forces the play at the blue line and stands up and makes the play at the blueline. Rubs opposing player at the board and plays physical and aggressive game, doesn´t back down, stands his ground. Plays the point on the PP very well, accurate in moving the puck, moves well laterally to create lanes for passing and shooting and has hard shot which he keeps low and gets on net through traffic consistently. Highly confident with the puck, fakes shot, slides around defending forwards and moves into better position. Has nice instinct, jumps into the play at right time, joins rushes. Can make surprising, creative passes through traffic. Has very good footwork." Matt Grainda says, "Mikhail Sergachev was one of my favorite 1998-born defensemen I saw all of last season. I really like his balanced two-way style along with his toughness. His size and strength are immediately noticeable along with his physicality. He plays an aggressive, mean style and balances it well with lots of skill. He’s more of a pass and move player and can create space very well while accelerating up the ice. His skating stride is powerful and smooth. He is highly poised in possession and uses his vision to make quality decisions on both ends of the ice. His game management skills are impressive. He’s got a very hard shot from the point and solid command for when to use it. Sergachev projects as a first round selection in the 2016 NHL Draft due to his complete overall game and physical nature. He’s a fantastic, young player."

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I got some great info/reports on him from people for my Import Draft Review.
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2015/07/2015-chl-import-draft-review.html

Thank you! Good stuff.

Found this to be a little bit curious though.

Daniel Deschenes of Future Considerations says, “I would like to see him be more physical in his own zone - he has the size to do so - as he looked very hesitant to engage physically and use his body in my views.”

Matt Grainda says, "I really like his balanced two-way style along with his toughness. His size and strength are immediately noticeable along with his physicality. He plays an aggressive, mean style and balances it well with lots of skill.

Which one is it?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Thank you! Good stuff.

Found this to be a little bit curious though.

Which one is it?

I think you could probably infer that at this point, his ability to use his size to his advantage physically, is inconsistent. Wavering physicality is not all that uncommon in 17-18 year old defenders. If two guys (whose opinion I respect), are seeing different things, that's the way I interpreted it (especially since the viewings came from the U17 and U18's).

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Reading this scouting report is also quite painful, because it just sort of drones on without getting to the point. It's like a big stew of scattered, and contradictory, ideas.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Reading this scouting report is also quite painful, because it just sort of drones on without getting to the point. It's like a big stew of scattered, and contradictory, ideas.

It's two separate scouting reports, from different times. Reading comprehension is hard, I know. I've seen your posts in the past, the fact you call these guys bad scouts is laughable. What do you even mean, by the don't get to the point?

The whole frickin point of a scouting report is to just describe the players game, not tell you a story with a plot and climax. Those are solid scouting reports, and if you understand the game of hockey you could read those and visualize what they are saying. Try it, you might actually learn something.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
It's two separate scouting reports, from different times. Reading comprehension is hard, I know. I've seen your posts in the past, the fact you call these guys bad scouts is laughable. What do you even mean, by the don't get to the point?

The whole frickin point of a scouting report is to just describe the players game, not tell you a story with a plot and climax. Those are solid scouting reports, and if you understand the game of hockey you could read those and visualize what they are saying. Try it, you might actually learn something.

Well said.

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
He is the best 98 born defenceman and leader of 98 national team with Sokolov and Abramov. Well, at least he was.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

:popcorn:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Some major accolades for Sergachev so far this year. 2 goals, 3 points in 4 games and he's pretty tough.

enj92

Oct 2, 2015
Ufa
How's he looking so far? I believe 2+1 in 4 games as a rookie pretty impressive for defensemen.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ha. I was just about to bump this thread. Saw him last week, very impressed. Big kid, soft hands, very calm and poised out there.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
“Sergachev displays impressive awareness and knows when there is a check right on him, adapting accordingly to move lateral and protect the puck while using his speed to separate form the man, not getting flustered or make an unnecessary play the puck. He sees lanes develop and hits his man with a crisp pass through centre ice. Through the neutral zone, Sergachev maintains control of the puck as he scopes out his options after quickly receiving the pass and setting his sights on the next move.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/from-the-notebook-november-2015/

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I think this guy is the best dman after Chychrun by a significant margin. Fast, skilled and pretty reliable defensively. Like a quicker, bigger, better Provorov.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think this guy is the best dman after Chychrun by a significant margin. Fast, skilled and pretty reliable defensively. Like a quicker, bigger, better Provorov.

I don't know about significant margin but yes I do think he is the 2nd best d-man as well. I had Juolevi over him before but Sergachyov has really impressed me. He has everything you want in a d-man. I could see him being a very dominant two-way defenseman at the next level. Someone you build a team around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad