LD Michael Matheson (2012, 23rd, FLA)

BLBarmada

Are you saying that because you believe it, or because you want Matheson in the Q?

I believe he will thrive there, he's an offensive defenceman, with great mobility, and a great shot, he also posses a great 1st pass, and has a solid wrister.

He's got good hockey sense, knows when to join the rush and when not too.

He's the complete offensive package, ala MAB but better, and better defensively.

He needs time, but he could be a top pairing D.

The Q's and offensive league, enough said. Hell play in the Maritimes, where he's going to see top talent frequently.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Are you saying that because you believe it, or because you want Matheson in the Q?

I believe hes saying it because he wants to see him there. His two players he mentioned never committed to a college. They kept there options open and probably listened to NCAA offers but decided on the Q.

I think a lot will depend on what happens if BC gets some early departures. I think Brian Dumoulin leaves after this year and with Tommy Cross and Edwin Shea graduating Matheson could step in right away and be a contributor.

Will I be surprised if he goes to Moncton no but I think he sticks with his commitment.

BLBarmada

I met Mike and His father today, alot of stuff came up. I will write up on it. What he said leads me to believe that Drouin and Duclair, pulled the NCAA card, but Duclair was serious about it, where Drouin wanted what Duclair got. What he said leads me to believe that DeLuca will go to the Q...

And Mike will play in the NHL for a very long time..

I'll post more on it later.

BLBarmada

Matheson isn't a huge kid, hes tall but rather thin, he definitely needs to put on muscle atleast 30 pounds... The kid has like not body fat, the father is a great guy, and Mike is very mature for his age.

For him his biggest concern is the amount of travel in the Q, and the lack of days where he can work out...

They seemed against the CHL as a league which is fine, he will play in the NHL for a long time, and I think he's going to be a first rounder, when he's interviewed by teams he's going to wow them. He's got a great attitude.

He said the only way he ends up in Moncton is if an NHL team says, I'd rather you play there.

His commitment to BC is second to none, I actually doubt that even if an NHL team requested he go there, that he'd listen, he definitely seemed excited about it.

He's atleast 2 years away, he's really thin.

He compares himself to Paul Coffey, and his game is modeled after Kris Letang...

He says he's an offensive guy, I get the feeling that he wants to work on his defensive game, I can see him becoming a very complete defenceman.

He and his father weren't impressed by all the attention Shawinigan gave them...

He goes about himself the way an average kid would.. Not flashy or anything.

I think he's gunna do well at BC, and that he is one of those NCAA players.

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
I watched him three times live this season in addition to watching him online. Kid's game grew by leaps and bounds this year. At the start of the year, he was a turnover machine on the power play and I was wondering where the overall offensive production he was known for was. Watched him in the playoffs against Indy and he was the best player on the ice. Great puck movement, ran the power play great and I even saw defensive improvements which is saying a lot considering the lack of talent that was on the back end for the Fighting Saints this season.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I watched him three times live this season in addition to watching him online. Kid's game grew by leaps and bounds this year. At the start of the year, he was a turnover machine on the power play and I was wondering where the overall offensive production he was known for was. Watched him in the playoffs against Indy and he was the best player on the ice. Great puck movement, ran the power play great and I even saw defensive improvements which is saying a lot considering the lack of talent that was on the back end for the Fighting Saints this season.

I will agree with this statement. The first half of the year he looked absolutely lost in his own end. He is definately skilled and a true Offensive Defenseman. I saw him play 5 times this year and was impressed by his offensive ability but alot of question marks on the defensive side. Even the last time I saw him in Dubuque, he still looked a step slow and reached alot as wingers were coming up the boards, which caused him to take some dumb penalties. If he can sure this up, he is a sure fire NHL blue liner. I don't see him going as high as some may expect in the draft. I would guess mid to late 2nd.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I hear this guy had a great prospect camp with Florida recently and is somebody that Tallon and the boys are extremely high on. Did anyone see him play much this past season and/or prospect camp?.. Im real intrigued with this guy because they say he has potential to be #1 PP dman and also plays with alot of grit(38 gp. 8g. 17a. 25pts. 78pims) with Boston College.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Another Brian Campbell. Hes very good offensively for his age like all young dman needs to work on the defensive side

dwanmaster*

Matheson was pretty terrible today vs #1 Minnesota. Capped it off by taking a 5 minute major with intent to injure one of the Minnesota forwards. Awful overall.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
Matheson is getting alot of hype in Florida for his steady play in the playoffs and his offensive production for Team Canada in the WC.

Any unbiased opinions? Hows he looking for Canada, besides the points?

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Matheson is getting alot of hype in Florida for his steady play in the playoffs and his offensive production for Team Canada in the WC.

Any unbiased opinions? Hows he looking for Canada, besides the points?

I only watched 1 game, but he looks solid to me. Really strong skater. Was given more minutes than Hutton already. Started the play on a Hall goal

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
only 3 pages on him hey?haha... easy to tell he was drafted to a quieter fan base on hfboards haha

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
only 3 pages on him hey?haha... easy to tell he was drafted to a quieter fan base on hfboards haha

Panthers forum is plenty active. Why would we go to the prospects forum and puff our chests?

More like outsiders just don't care about our players. Which is fine by us. We'll continue to fly under the radar.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

Rielly and Tanev were both better. I don't know what basis was used to select the players.

Rielly was relied on more, but wasn't stand out good. I don't think I would've given it to Matheson either.

That said he was really impressive, really good skater that makes a lot of smart decisions with/without the puck. Florida has done well being patient with him, think the tournament will be very valuable to his development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad