LD Michael Matheson (2012, 23rd, FLA)

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
The highly touted defensemen from Montreal, has committed to play at Boston College in 2012 after committing to play a year in the USHL with the Dubuque Fighting Saints. Opting not to play QMJHL.

Michael Matheson felt as though the weight of the hockey world had been lifted from his shoulders when he decided his short- and long-term futures.

After months of careful consideration, the 16-year-old defenseman from suburban Montreal committed to play at Boston College. To prepare mentally and physically for the Hockey East conference, Matheson will spend next season with the Dubuque Fighting Saints, who hold his United States Hockey League rights.

Matheson, who turns 17 next month, has been projected as high-round pick in the 2012 NHL Draft. He rejected an opportunity to play in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, which pegged him as its No. 1 prospect last spring, because it would have jeopardized his college eligibility.

"It's a huge relief to have it all out of the way," Matheson said. "Now, I can go back to being a regular 16-year-old and concentrate on just going to school and playing hockey again.

"I couldn't go wrong with any of the three (finalists), and it's not like I could say anything bad about any of them. With BC, it's just that I loved the campus, the guys on the team, the atmosphere in the locker room ... it just had a family feel about it."

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=309727

I thought this deserved it's own thread because it's is not too often you see highly touted Canadian players pass up the CHL for the NCAA (I'm also excited at a BC fan).

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I'm not really familiar with the Jr. A system in Quebec but why didn't he go there instead for his 16 year old season? Even going to a prep school for a year or going to the USHL a year earlier would have been better for his development than AAA again, IMO.

I'm just reminded of Lucas Lessio having his stock drop for opting to take his 16 year in the CCHL (a weak Jr. A league that is now gone), then jumping to the OHL and having to transition.

That being said, I'm interested in hearing more about him, he sounds like an interesting prospect.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
I'm not really familiar with the Jr. A system in Quebec but why didn't he go there instead for his 16 year old season? Even going to a prep school for a year or going to the USHL a year earlier would have been better for his development than AAA again, IMO.

I'm just reminded of Lucas Lessio having his stock drop for opting to take his 16 year in the CCHL (a weak Jr. A league that is now gone), then jumping to the OHL and having to transition.

That being said, I'm interested in hearing more about him, he sounds like an interesting prospect.

Jr.A in Quebec is not really strong. will have been better for him going to ushl this year but Louis Leblanc did the same thing and didnt hurt his developpement. He probably did want to finnish his high school at home and played with his buddy one last year.

he's a great players...no doubt his first round talent for 2012 nhl draft. amazing skater.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
I don't think he couldn't have played in the USHL this season because Hockey Canada's rules on 16 year olds cant play Jr. A hockey outside of their home province. I could be wrong though.

He could have played prep school hockey in the States no problem

BLBarmada

Michael Matheson

How is he doing over in Dubuque?? Is he adjusting well ?? Still intent on BC ?
Any one seen him play recently ?

IkeaMonkey*

I saw him play a couple weeks ago. Wasn't very fair to him however as they played him on the wing for the first two periods because DBQ is so stacked on D. He shifted back to D during the third(And on the PP/PK all game). Also saw him on opening night and was very impressed. Reminded me a lot of Brian Cooper last year(Cooper has yet to do it this year...) in how he would control a game, during that game from the back side.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I do not know if there is any truth to this or not, but I am hearing Michael might have signed with a QMJHL team. His rights were traded to Moncton recently. His brother was also traded off the Dubuque Fighting Saints last week. Like I said this is a rumor I have seen on a USHL board , but where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
I do not know if there is any truth to this or not, but I am hearing Michael might have signed with a QMJHL team. His rights were traded to Moncton recently. His brother was also traded off the Dubuque Fighting Saints last week. Like I said this is a rumor I have seen on a USHL board , but where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Both he and his brother have returned to Canada.

BLBarmada

Haha I knew it, I didnt know he had a brother.

They'll both head to Moncton now.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
I asked the question on Dubuque's facebook page and got this as a response:

Dubuque Fighting Saints Mike Matheson is a dedicated student-athlete who has rejected offers for the past two years from the QMJHL. These rumors of him leaving are completely false. Come watch Mike Matheson and the rest of the Dubuque Fighting Saints next Thursday night as they take on the NTDP U-18s!

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
I asked the question on Dubuque's facebook page and got this as a response:

Dubuque Fighting Saints Mike Matheson is a dedicated student-athlete who has rejected offers for the past two years from the QMJHL. These rumors of him leaving are completely false. Come watch Mike Matheson and the rest of the Dubuque Fighting Saints next Thursday night as they take on the NTDP U-18s!

At around 10AM this morning, Moncton had him on their website on their roster page. I see that his name has now since been removed.

I was told this morning that Michael had left Dubuque Sunday afternoon for Montreal and that the Gormley trade was consumated because Matheson was reporting.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
I know this is purely speculation at this time and we haven't heard any confirmation. But it would be one hell of an acquisition for Moncton.

Also - if Kenny couldn't cut it on Dubuque, could he really make Moncton? Will be interesting to see.

Yeti

HFBoards Partner
Feb 19, 2005
www.lincolnstarsblog.com
I know this is purely speculation at this time and we haven't heard any confirmation. But it would be one hell of an acquisition for Moncton.

Also - if Kenny couldn't cut it on Dubuque, could he really make Moncton? Will be interesting to see.

I wouldn't say he couldn't cut it at Dubuque. The USHL is a much more defensive-oriented league than the Q is, and Matheson scored 13 points (4g, 9a) in 29 games. 7 of those 13 points came on the PP. He was/is Dubuque's top scorer on defense. For a '94 in a defensive first type of league, I think his numbers are pretty good. I'm sure he was a top pairing defenseman for Duqubue. Top 4 at the least.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA
I wouldn't say he couldn't cut it at Dubuque. The USHL is a much more defensive-oriented league than the Q is, and Matheson scored 13 points (4g, 9a) in 29 games. 7 of those 13 points came on the PP. He was/is Dubuque's top scorer on defense. For a '94 in a defensive first type of league, I think his numbers are pretty good. I'm sure he was a top pairing defenseman for Duqubue. Top 4 at the least.

Wrong Matheson. Michael, a defenseman, had 13 points. Kenny, a forward, had 3 or 4.

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Wrong Matheson. Michael, a defenseman, had 13 points. Kenny, a forward, had 3 or 4.

Thanks, yes I was referring to Kenny. I know the U is more defensively oriented, but his point totals indicate he obviously wasn't an impact player.
I'm just interested in seeing if he could crack Moncton. Michael I have no doubts about.

IkeaMonkey*

Thanks, yes I was referring to Kenny. I know the U is more defensively oriented, but his point totals indicate he obviously wasn't an impact player.
I'm just interested in seeing if he could crack Moncton. Michael I have no doubts about.

Kenny could probably be a servicable fourth liner, nothing more though. He really wasn't that great in Dubuque.

Edges7*

Feb 25, 2010
MA

Heard Chad was a bit under the weather over the Holidays. A touch of the Canadian Flu brought on by the fear of a sudden loss of his best goal scorer, perhaps?

There is no way that he didn't spend a week dropping rectangular bits of stone all over Southern North Dakota when the Roy news hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad